Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on September 13, 2005
Having had the delicious chocolate chip cookies from Tate's Bake Shop, I was thrilled to finally have the recipe! As soon as I recieved the book I made the cookies. Let me tell you, they are OK, but taste nothing like the cookies from the bakery.

Also, some ingredients are clearly left out of some of the recipes (ex pecan cookies don't list pecans as one of the ingredients).

I am giving 3 stars in the hopes that some of the other recipes fair better than the cookies.
44 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2006
For someone who isn't privy to her first book, this book is fantastic. For someone who has eaten the Tate's chocolate chip cookie - this recipe in the book tastes exactly the same - although with my oven I have to cook the cookies about 13 1/2 minutes to obtain the "crispy" cookie like the Tate cookie. I followed her instructions to the letter, didn't overmix, used my Silpat - and they are amazing. I had only one small cookie because I'm low carbing - but this morning - there are only a few left - meaning my husband and son ate them up! Great book - highly recommend.
on December 17, 2007
The recipes have all been tested in Tate's Bake Shop over the years and are great. Unfortunately, the book has been badly edited. Recipes may be missing an ingredient (Toffee Pecan cookies don't tell you the quantity of pecans required---it's one cup, chopped), boilerplate lines sometimes appear inappropriately ("grease and flour two baking sheets" where only one is required, etc.).

But it's worth struggling through. And call Tate's Bake Shop if you need help.
on July 28, 2005
i love her cookies. i loved this cookbook. every recipe interests me. i've made about 5 so far. they're clear, manageable and ultimately delicious. can't wait to get to the rest.
on January 9, 2007
I tried Tate's chocolate chip cookies that I bought in a gourmet food shop and they were awesome! I found the cookbook at amazon and it's filled with lots of great recipes for cookies, cakes, etc. Good baking tips,too! I've made the chocolate chip cookies and they came out really good...not quite as crisp as the originals, but I'm still perfecting my technique!
This is a great cookbook chalk full of recipes for yummy home-style baked goods. The Cookbook's foreward is written by Ina Garten, who carried Tate's Bake Shop baked goods at her Barefoot Contessa Shop for years.

This warm and friendly book begins with some basic information regarding tips and techniques for baking success. Some of Kathleen's favorite baking tools are Silpat baking mats, an oven thermometer, and microplane zesters. Probably her best advice is given in the last sentence where she says, "Most of all, have fun! Don't take it seriously. If you screw up, don't worry about it--they're only cookies!

The recipes are easy to follow and relatively simple. There's nothing fancy or pretentious here.

The book includes chapters for:

Muffins and Scones
Pound Cakes and Breads
Cookies and Bars
Pies, Crisps, and Cobblers
Cakes
Health Alternatives

Everything that I've made from this book so far has been delicious. And there are so many more recipes that I can't wait to try. Just reading about them makes me want to run into the kitchen and get baking, which is not something I can say about most baking books.

Favorites to date include mocha pecan muffins, banana chocolate chip muffins, oatmeal scones, apricot ginger scones, sweet potato pie, chocolate peanut butter pie, apple cranberry crisp, chocolate mousse cake, chocolate chip cake and chocolate fudge cupcakes with peanut butter frosting, chocolate chip coconut macadamia nut cookies, chocolate chip pie, and the crispy chocolate chip cookies for which her bakery is so famous.

One word of caution, the book includes a few editorial missteps. For example, the recipe for toffee pecan cookies doesn't list pecans in the ingredient list (1 cup, chopped). However, I haven't run into anything that can't be overcome with a little research and/or common sense, especially if you have some baking experience.

Highly Recommended
on August 9, 2011
I am a huge fan of Ina Garten, and trust everything she endorses completely. When I saw this cookbook and realized it is the same bakeshop she often talks about on her show, I ordered it. This is, hands down, the best baking cookbook I have ever owned. I have made many of the recipes and they are all crowd pleasers. The recipes are easy to follow with few ingredients. This is my absolute favorite go to cookbook for something sweet. Love it!!
on December 1, 2010
I read a number of food and baking blogs, and I've seen Tate's on several recently--they've obviously just started a massive giveaway push, and I have to say it's working. I read about this cookbook on Sugar Plum blog, on Ezra Pound Cake, and on A Southern Grace--three blogs I read regularly, and they all just posted such rave reviews of the book I had to give it a try and order it for myself.

The cookbook itself is lovely, the kind you just want to pick up and read. The recipes are classic, well-tested, everyone-wants-a-bite American desserts. I've gone baking crazy lately, and have already baked three things from the book. So far I've made the cranberry crumble, which is a gorgeous cake with fresh cranberries that I'm planning on making again on Christmas morning. I also made the persimmon cookies, which are a great way to take advantage of all the persimmons in the farmers markets right now. I'd never used persimmons before, but this recipe really invited me to try using a new ingredient, and I'm glad I did! The recipe wasn't intimidating at all, and the cookies were wonderful, fresh, seasonal, and festive.

I also made the famous, Rachel Ray, Ina Garten, AND Gwyneth Paltrow's favorite chocolate chip cookies. They taste amazing! Thin, crispy, buttery. They turned out just the way Kathleen's look on the cover of the book, and tasted amazing.

I'm going to buy several of these cookbooks: for my mother, an old family friend, my daughter. It's just a wonderful book, and deserves a space on anyone's shelf.
on July 20, 2005
I bought this book for my mother's birthday. She has baked six of the recipes already. I went home for the weekend and tried the Smore Brownies she made, they were unbelievable. My mom said the recipes are easy to bake and they taste delicious. She is very happy with her birthday present.
on February 28, 2015
I'm a pastry chef by profession So I was excited to try the scone recipes in this book. I purchased some dates and so I chose the oatmeal scone recipe. 2 tablespoons of baking powder? this can't be right but I gave the recipe the benefit of the doubt , soon as I tasted the batter I know it was wrong so I added another recipe of batter and still could not get the taste of the baking powder out of it, i had to throw the entire finished batch of scones in the garbage. what a disappointment ! somebody didn't proof read these recipes very good! I'm sure it is supposed to be teaspoons instead of tablespoons, be very careful if you make any of these recipes. You may have to compare them with other recipes you already have.