5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book
Published on January 8, 2006 by Andrew'sMom

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Expect Bakery Quality Treats
Having had the delicious chocolate chip cookies from Tate's Bake Shop, I was thrilled to finally have the recipe! As soon as I recieved the book I made the cookies. Let me tell you, they are OK, but taste nothing like the cookies from the bakery.

Published on September 13, 2005 by Lynne Batlan Levine

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Expect Bakery Quality Treats, September 13, 2005
This review is from: Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook: The Best Recipes from Southampton's Favorite Bakery for Homestyle Cookies, Cakes, Pies, Muffins, and Breads (Hardcover)

Also, some ingredients are clearly left out of some of the recipes (ex pecan cookies don't list pecans as one of the ingredients).

I am giving 3 stars in the hopes that some of the other recipes fair better than the cookies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, January 8, 2006
For someone who isn't privy to her first book, this book is fantastic. For someone who has eaten the Tate's chocolate chip cookie - this recipe in the book tastes exactly the same - although with my oven I have to cook the cookies about 13 1/2 minutes to obtain the "crispy" cookie like the Tate cookie. I followed her instructions to the letter, didn't overmix, used my Silpat - and they are amazing. I had only one small cookie because I'm low carbing - but this morning - there are only a few left - meaning my husband and son ate them up! Great book - highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes Marred By Poor Editing, December 17, 2007
The recipes have all been tested in Tate's Bake Shop over the years and are great. Unfortunately, the book has been badly edited. Recipes may be missing an ingredient (Toffee Pecan cookies don't tell you the quantity of pecans required---it's one cup, chopped), boilerplate lines sometimes appear inappropriately ("grease and flour two baking sheets" where only one is required, etc.).

But it's worth struggling through. And call Tate's Bake Shop if you need help.

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious, July 28, 2005
i love her cookies. i loved this cookbook. every recipe interests me. i've made about 5 so far. they're clear, manageable and ultimately delicious. can't wait to get to the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes for Yummy Home-Style Baked Goods, November 18, 2009
This is a great cookbook chalk full of recipes for yummy home-style baked goods. The Cookbook's foreward is written by Ina Garten, who carried Tate's Bake Shop baked goods at her Barefoot Contessa Shop for years.

This warm and friendly book begins with some basic information regarding tips and techniques for baking success. Some of Kathleen's favorite baking tools are Silpat baking mats, an oven thermometer, and microplane zesters. Probably her best advice is given in the last sentence where she says, "Most of all, have fun! Don't take it seriously. If you screw up, don't worry about it--they're only cookies!

The recipes are easy to follow and relatively simple. There's nothing fancy or pretentious here.

The book includes chapters for:

Muffins and Scones
Pound Cakes and Breads
Cookies and Bars
Pies, Crisps, and Cobblers
Cakes
Health Alternatives

Everything that I've made from this book so far has been delicious. And there are so many more recipes that I can't wait to try. Just reading about them makes me want to run into the kitchen and get baking, which is not something I can say about most baking books.

Favorites to date include mocha pecan muffins, banana chocolate chip muffins, oatmeal scones, apricot ginger scones, sweet potato pie, chocolate peanut butter pie, apple cranberry crisp, chocolate mousse cake, chocolate chip cake and chocolate fudge cupcakes with peanut butter frosting, chocolate chip coconut macadamia nut cookies, chocolate chip pie, and the crispy chocolate chip cookies for which her bakery is so famous.

One word of caution, the book includes a few editorial missteps. For example, the recipe for toffee pecan cookies doesn't list pecans in the ingredient list (1 cup, chopped). However, I haven't run into anything that can't be overcome with a little research and/or common sense, especially if you have some baking experience.

Highly Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook for someone who loves to bake!, January 9, 2007
I tried Tate's chocolate chip cookies that I bought in a gourmet food shop and they were awesome! I found the cookbook at amazon and it's filled with lots of great recipes for cookies, cakes, etc. Good baking tips,too! I've made the chocolate chip cookies and they came out really good...not quite as crisp as the originals, but I'm still perfecting my technique!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, July 20, 2005
I bought this book for my mother's birthday. She has baked six of the recipes already. I went home for the weekend and tried the Smore Brownies she made, they were unbelievable. My mom said the recipes are easy to bake and they taste delicious. She is very happy with her birthday present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, well-tested recipes. Perfect every time., December 1, 2010
I read a number of food and baking blogs, and I've seen Tate's on several recently--they've obviously just started a massive giveaway push, and I have to say it's working. I read about this cookbook on Sugar Plum blog, on Ezra Pound Cake, and on A Southern Grace--three blogs I read regularly, and they all just posted such rave reviews of the book I had to give it a try and order it for myself.

The cookbook itself is lovely, the kind you just want to pick up and read. The recipes are classic, well-tested, everyone-wants-a-bite American desserts. I've gone baking crazy lately, and have already baked three things from the book. So far I've made the cranberry crumble, which is a gorgeous cake with fresh cranberries that I'm planning on making again on Christmas morning. I also made the persimmon cookies, which are a great way to take advantage of all the persimmons in the farmers markets right now. I'd never used persimmons before, but this recipe really invited me to try using a new ingredient, and I'm glad I did! The recipe wasn't intimidating at all, and the cookies were wonderful, fresh, seasonal, and festive.

I also made the famous, Rachel Ray, Ina Garten, AND Gwyneth Paltrow's favorite chocolate chip cookies. They taste amazing! Thin, crispy, buttery. They turned out just the way Kathleen's look on the cover of the book, and tasted amazing.

I'm going to buy several of these cookbooks: for my mother, an old family friend, my daughter. It's just a wonderful book, and deserves a space on anyone's shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy & Beyond Tasty, November 18, 2008
Tate's Bakeshop is one of my favorites, so I was happy to get this book as a gift. I've tried a few recipes and all have been easy and beyond tasty. The chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting are one of the best desserts I've ever had. Carrot cake and the signature chocolate chip cookies are first rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have in your collection, August 22, 2006
K. Harrington (Vancouver, WA USA) - See all my reviews
No kidding... by far the best chocolate chip cookie I have ever tasted (sorry grammie!) You will not regret picking up this cookbook with easy to follow instructions and fabulous tasty recipes. My daughter and I have really enjoyed baking in the kitchen together and sharing our treats with friends and family. A MUST for anyone who enjoys baking.

Rate and Discover Movies