5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Star Wars novel! Easily within the top 10
Published on March 19, 2003 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Mr. and Mrs. Solo on Tatooine...
This novel, I tried to start some years ago but couldn't quite get in the mood for. Now, hearing from many how good it was, I thought I'd find out for myself.

Plot:
Han Solo and Leia Organa Solo, recently married, travel to Tatooine with Chewbacca and C-3PO to recover Killik Twilight, an Alderaanian painting that contains the Shadowcast code. This code...
Published on August 5, 2007 by Crystal Starr Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Star Wars novel! Easily within the top 10, March 19, 2003
In his second full Star Wars novel, Denning tackles new territory. Tatooine Ghost tells of the time right after Han and Leia's marriage, but before Zahn's classic trilogy. Denning also has resources that none of the other pre-New Jedi Order authors had: Episodes I & II. He makes great use of these resources by having Leia discover more about Vader's origins and giving her a picture of of her father before he was Vader. Denning perfectly captures the characteristics of Han and Leia. Plus it is equally gratifying to see Chewbacca return to the expanded universe. This is by far the best non-NJO Star Wars book to come out in this millenium. I highly recommend it to all Star Wars fans, it is truly a great and exciting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what all STAR WARS books should be like!, March 19, 2003
By A Customer
Now this is what all Star Wars books should be like. Never before have I read a SW book that is so alive, so true to the spirit of the films and the characters in them. I finished this book in a day, and while I was reading it I felt as though Han and Leia could have leapt off the page while John Williams' score played in the background any minute.
Tatooine Ghost got back to the roots of A New Hope and engaged in old-fashioned fun, fast-shooting blasters, witty one-liners, and clumsy but endearing sidekicks. However, that edge and dynamic of Empire Strikes Back with Han and Leia's truly exceptional written relationship is definitely present and the best part of the book by far. Additionally, the austere, philosophical nature of the first movie (The Phantom Menace) is also visible in Leia's dreams and thoughts of the past and how her parentage relates to it. All the best aspects of the SW films rolled into one magnificent book.
I will say now I'm a Han/Leia fan, and have been waiting for years for someone to write them right and in a relationship that is a natural development from the one we saw in the movies - one that is both loving and respectful, passionate and affectioante, with some playful teasing and light-hearted banter as well. Finally, Tatooine Ghost did just what many, many Han/Leia fans have been wanting to see for years. It's about time!
My favorite scene has to be the one where Han and Leia spend the night together after rescuing Han. I'm so glad Del Rey let Denning write a "hot" scene between them, an element of their relationship all Han/Leia fans are dying to see.
It was great to read a book that was absolutely chock full of my favorite characters - Han and Leia, and even Chewie. All of the main trio are characterized brilliantly, but Leia's shines above the rest as far and away the best portrayal of Leia ever seen in the EU. One of the best parts about this book was that there were no annoying EU characters like Mara Jade in sight! (Sorry...Her becoming a major character was a big turn-off for me in the books.)
If the H/L short story Denning wrote felt like a slice of chocolate cake from heaven, then Tatooine Ghost felt like eating the entire chocolate cake all at once (The only difference is that too much H/L never makes me sick.) I hope Denning comes back to write more Star Wars stories on Han and Leia. He would definitely be my pick in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY an excellent book for the SW galaxy, March 8, 2003
What a wonderful book this was! I read my library's copy, and loved it so much I went out & bought a copy for myself, not even waiting for paperback!
This is a Star Wars adventure the way it was meant to be written, before the NJO came along and messed everything up so badly. Denning writes the characters so true to their movie personalities that you feel this book is simply a continuation after Return of the Jedi ended.
He has done a masterful job of tying together the prequels and the Expanded Universe after the Original Trilogy. At the same time, he has managed to spackle-and-paste omissions of logic made by others: Qui-Gon's apparent lack of compassion for Anakin's mother in Ep. 1, Leia's completely out-of-character behavior in the dreadful "Courtship of Princess Leia", and even how a boy named Luke Skywalker could remain hidden in plain sight on his father's homeworld, and not have someone, somewhere, alert Darth Vader to the presence of another Skywalker.
Denning has made Leia the strong, competent woman and Han the dashing smuggler of the movies; he creates fascinating new characters; and he paints haunting portraits of secondary characters such as Kitster and Shmi. He gives nods to other favorites by mentioning Wedge Antilles, the Wraiths, and Thrawn.
My only quibbles with this book: The Tusken Raiders tell a story-dance of a warrior who slaughtered an entire camp with a buzzing sword; if Anakin killed every single Tusken, how would the other tribes possibly know their manner of death? A single line saying that one escaped would have cleared this up. And the visit to Obi-Wan's hut, while providing a heart-wrenching glimpse into his guilt and sorrow, seemed nothing more than a plug for Timothy Zahn's upcoming novel on the Outbound Project.
Minor quibbles only. This book is an excellent read, highly recommended for any Star Wars fan, but especially for those who are fed up with the abysmal NJO. Denning writes as if he truly loves the Star Wars galaxy and the familiar characters we love, not as if writing a book with Star Wars on the cover is just a gambit to get name recognition with fans.
I can only wish that we would see more books like this. Del-Rey editors, this means you: are you paying attention?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Star Wars Novel, April 2, 2003
Troy Denning's Tatooine Ghost is a joy to read! Yes, it is an Expanded Universe novel and if you haven't read any of the previous "further adventures of..." novels, newcomers will not get any of the references to other works (such as Dave Wolverton's "Courtship of Princess Leia," Timothy Zahn's Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy, or Dark Horse Comics' Dark Empire series, all of which are alluded to here. What makes this novel worth reading is the connection between the classic trilogy, expanded universe, and the current films. The Force is with Tatooine Ghost!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, December 21, 2005
With Tatootine Ghost, Denning adds an excellent chapter to the Star Wars universe that is sure to please any fan of the genre. It is easily one of my favorite books in the series. Denning combines characters from the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy and also the expanded universe series in an adventure that captures the excitement of the first Star Wars films.

Princess Leia and Han Solo (along with Chewbacca and C-3P0), travel back to the desert planet of Tatooine in search of a rare and valuable piece of Alderaanian art that was thought to have been destroy along with Alderaan. However, an unidentified collector has put the artwork up for auction. Han and Leia take it upon themselves to make sure that the artwork falls into the New Republic's hands. For it holds a very valuable secret that could spell certain destruction for many rebel spies if the artwork is handed over to the Empire. However, all is not what it seems on Tatooine. The desert holds many secrets of Leia's family's past that she must confront if she tends to move into the future as a strong leader for the New Republic. The least of these being her father's past that led him toward the dark side of the force and, eventually, to become the ruthless sith lord, Darth Vader. All that she knows of him is his dark side. Little by little, through the people she meets on Tatooine that knew him as a young boy, she comes to realize that there was much more to Anakin Skywalker than she ever dreamed of. With these new revelations, can she learn to forgive her father or will she be doomed to forever wallow in the hatred that she has held for him all of these years? And, if her hatred is allowed to progress, can she too be turned to the dark side of the force? The answers she is looking for reside on Tatooine and, perhaps, may be able to add some closure to her long battle against her father.

Just about every book in the Star Wars universe I read is better than the last. This one is no exception. Denning has definitely succeeded my expectations with this great addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Troy Denning should be writing every Star Wars book, March 14, 2003
Michael Bliss (Taunton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
this is easily the best Star Wars book I've ever read, and i've read about 110-120 of them, everything but some of the Jedi apprentice series. troy Denning really should write every star wars book. this book has everything i want, except for maybe a huge battle (it had plenty of smaller ones though) and not enough Luke for me. still, this wouldn't drop the rating at all. the connections to the past were eerie, and so very well thought out i was amazed. when they talked of a great Boonta Podrace in which a human boy won, it took me a minute to make the connection. likewise, the use of Kitster, Wald, and Shmi was incredible. one thing that made this book awesome was the indirect use of Gavin Darklighter, my favorite character. his family was a featured part of the book, as was the remains of the Lars clan. The thing that most struck me was the place that the Tuskens avoided calling it ghost town. that puzzled me because it sounded familiar. then it was revealed that a clan of sand people was found hacked to pieces, all dead, about 30 years ago. make the connection yet? the book was great, and the first in the time directly after the original trilogy. it showed me how much i missed them. i would recommend this book to any person who like science fiction, and this book goes on my top ten all time star wars books right there with star by star. (conveniently by troy Denning.) buy this book
p.s. if I'm still stumping you with the sand people tribe hacked to pieces, that would be Anakin's ill-fated attempt to save his mother and then releasing his anger for the first time

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing to Read a Character-Driven Book For Once, April 2, 2003
By A Customer
I enjoyed this book very much. I've always preferred character-driven books to action-oriented ones, and I consider romance a very vital part of Star Wars, so it was great to finally see a character-driven book starring Han and Leia with some nice romance scenes in it. Troy Denning did a great job with Han and Leia's characters, and I hope to see him write more on them in the future.
Leia is so frequently mischaracterized in the EU, it was like a breath of fresh air to see her the way she was in the movies, strong and resilient but also loving and compassionate. I also have to say how much I loved that she chose Han over the New Republic in the book. It was consistent with the woman we saw in Return of the Jedi who left the Rebellion for a year to search for her lover. I got so tired of so many books assuming she would be a workaholic. So kudos to Mr. Denning for that.
I was a bit disappointed we did not see the announcement of Leia's pregnancy, because Luke and Mara have gotten that luxury. I really hope it will be addressed in the future. I would love to see Han's reaction when he learns he's going to be a father, and not only that, the father of twins. I think it would be priceless!
I'm very grateful to Del Rey and its authors for the products focusing on Han and Leia this year. I'll eagerly buy anything else that stars them as the main characters, and written in character.

5.0 out of 5 stars All-Around Fantastic Book, March 29, 2003
Excellent book in all aspects - action, humour romance, and good-old fashioned adventure. It ties the prequel trilogy and the classic trilogy together seamlessly and works as well as a book on its own. The original characters like the squibs were a lot of fun, and it was really interesting seeing all of Anakin's old friends from Tatooine. One of the best parts was the humour. The NJO has been quite depressing, so it was a great relief to read about the gang in happier times.
I admit I'm not a huge fan of the prequels, but after reading this book I felt I understood people like Shmi, Cliegg, and Watto much better. The person I learned about the most though, was Anakin Skywalker. Seeing him through his mother's eyes was heartbreaking and very poignant, and I saw him in an entirely different light after reading this book.
Chewie is downright adorable in this book. I loved all the interaction between him and Leia, probably the best we've ever seen. Their close friendship is a welcome (and much more true to the characters) change from the jealousy we've seen in other works. He acted like a protective big brother, and Leia's obviously very fond of him.
My favorite aspect of the book by far are the characterizations and relationship of Han and Leia. First, Leia's characterization is dead on. I don't think I've ever seen her done so well in a SW book. She has her biting sarcasm and tough-girl persona, but she also has the gentle nature and compassion we saw in the movies. What I liked the best was seeing her vulnerabilities and fears - something rarely touched on in the Expanded Universe. It made her much more human. I also loved the part where she chose Han over her duties to the New Republic. Obviously, I don't think she would do that all the time, but we have to remember, this is the same woman who left the Rebellion to save her lover from the clutches of Jabba the Hutt.
Han was dead on. I loved that Denning wrote him as someone smart and competent, using his Imperial days to his advantage and not getting by just on luck. Han has surprisingly depth in Tatooine Ghost, far more than I believe we've ever seen in the novels. We see his more thoughtful, introspective side in discussions with Leia, as well as the fierce protection and love he has for his wife.
The interaction between Han and Leia is terrific. Nice mix of banter, humorous comments, flirting, tender concern, and some innuendo. Even though they're in the middle of urgent situations, they still find the time to show each other how much they love each other, and time and time again risk their lives for the happiness of the other person. Now that's love, folks!
Furthermore, I love that Han and Leia's relationship is shown as one that is mutually respectful and egalitarian. It is portrayed as a real marriage, one that both of them work towards and are constantly negotiating and compromising for one another. Their discussions are constructive and each side listens to and respects the other.
Both Han and Leia's personalities complement each other throughout this book - Leia's diplomacy versus Han's brashness, Leia's calculating logic versus Han's innate reasoning, and so on.. It is easy to tell in this book why they fell in love with and married each other, and how they make better people because of each other. I would venture this is one of the very few books that gets the complexity of their relationship from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi and captures it in its true form on the page.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a book that feels like STAR WARS!, March 18, 2003
By A Customer
Finally, I felt like I was reading STAR WARS again, about characters I love, and with the feeling that the good guys will save the day in the end. It was a breath of fresh air much needed in the midst of the NJO books.
The characterizations of Han, Leia, and Chewie were the best I've ever seen in ANY EU novel, Bantam or Del Rey. Leia, especially, was written just as I've always wanted to see her for years. She had that biting sarcasm and tough-girl air about her, but her enormous heart and devotion to those she loves was very, very clear throughout the book. I especially loved the part where she chose Han over the New Republic. It's about time! I think it is too often ignored that Leia is the same woman who left behind the Rebellion for a year to search for the man she loved between ESB-ROTJ.
Their relationship is portrayed perfectly in this book. You can see why Han fell in love with her, and vice versa, and how good a match they make by reading this book. It's a respectful and egalitarian one - Leia isn't telling Han what to do, it's a mutually consentful. I love how Denning effortlessly weaves together all aspects of their relationship, the banter, the romantic, the passionate, and the argumentive. I especially liked page 210-212!
I also thought this book did an excellent job of bridging the two trilogies together. I felt I understood Shmi much better after reading this novel, and Anakin became more sympathetic to my eyes after reading about his mother's dreams for him. The diary idea worked really well too.
Luke in the few scenes he was in was handled well too in his support of Leia, and Leia's love for him is also very clear in this book.
Finally, I also thought the relationship between Chewie and Leia was very cute and spot on. I've never liked the idea that they would have a rivalry or jealousy between them, so I was glad Denning chose to have a protective big brother like relationship between the two of them.
Terrific book. I felt like I was watching the STAR WARS movies for the first time all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Great SW Book that Stars the Original Characters!, March 17, 2003
Matthew Attwood (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
I found Tatooine Ghost to be a beautiful book. I must admit I'm not a big fan of the EU, especially the NJO. The EU characters don't interest me much, and I've always just wanted a book focused on the original ones, which is probably a big reason why I liked this book so much. I'm also a fan of the prequels and I thought the bridge between them in this novel was just what we needed.
Leia coming to terms with her parentage to explain her ease of being a Jedi later on had to be explained, and this book did it very well. Leia got a chance to see what Anakin was like before he went evil, and understand him as a human, not a monster, through his mother's eyes.
Speaking of Shmi, I loved how in the book she was compared to Leia, even by Han when he pictured Leia being like that when she aged, still beautiful and dignified.
The interaction between Han and Leia was probably the best I've ever seen in the Expanded Universe. I especially liked the scene where Han pulled Leia down on the bed when Leia went to change his hydradrip. The scene afterwards where they were running around without any clothes on was one of the funniest scenes in the SW books. Han, my favorite character, was actually written as someone smart and competent, rather than getting by on luck, which was a great change. Leia too seemed much more like the character we saw in the movies, strong but with a soft interior.
Some other scenes I liked were Han and Leia's discussions over their different interpretations of the paintings, and Han taking sides with Anakin.
The only thing I would have changed is made the conversation between Han and Leia at the end about having kids longer. It felt a bit rushed. I also wanted to see Leia get pregnant in the book.
Terrofoc book overall though. I admit I teared up a few times while reading it.

Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars) by Troy Denning (Mass Market Paperback - December 30, 2003)
$7.99