5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, easy to understand book
I thought this book was ideal for someone with little to no background in taxes. I thought the material was easy to follow and understand. This book won't make you a tax professional as it is not terribly in-depth but the book never pretended to be (thus Taxes Made Simple name).

Published on December 13, 2008 by loctan

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Specific Review
Published on November 20, 2012 by David M.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, easy to understand book, December 13, 2008
This review is from: Taxes Made Simple: Income Taxes Explained in 100 Pages or Less (Paperback)

I would recommend this book to anyone trying to understand short term versus long term capital gains, tax deductions, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Little Helper, July 25, 2009
Rod Walsh (Southern California, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I teach Tax Accounting at a community college and find the material in our textbook very challenging for the students. I recently came across Mike Piper's series of small books, including "Taxes Made Simple." It's absolutely fantastic - short, easy to read, covers the main areas of concern and it's timely. It's so good, I'm buying a copy for each student and it will be their first reading assignment this coming Fall semester. It really makes taxes approachable and that's just what we need at the community college level. Great job, Mr. Piper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book that covers the basics, November 12, 2008
I've been using TurboTax to file my taxes for years. I input my numbers, answers the questions, and blindly submit my taxes, not really understanding what I was doing.

The "Taxes Made Simple" book has help me understand the basics of income taxes quickly and easily. I found the sections on common deductions and IRAs very helpful. It's perfect for someone who would like to know more about taxes are and how to better prepare for the years ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick Read and Very informative, October 31, 2008
This book is a great read for anyone interested in how taxes actually work. Just enough detail for it all to make sense, but not overwhelming at all. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Introduction to Taxes, October 31, 2008
I found this book to be great. It is very easy to read and is a perfect introduction for learning how to do your own taxes. Mike Piper does an excellent job of demystifying complex tax sections and he presents them in an enjoyable and easy to understand way. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to Income Tax!, March 7, 2012
I was looking for a simple introduction to taxation to read before beginning a recent tax accounting course and this book totally fit the bill! Not only was I introduced to the most basic concepts of US personal income taxation, but by the end of reading it, I felt confident that I could tackle more advanced concepts.

The tax code may constantly change, but the fundamentals that make up the tax code stay the same. The author has masterly acquainted the reader with these critical components: income, exemptions, above and below the line deductions to AGI, and credits--he even walks through the 1040 and its various supporting schedules. Not only that, Piper demystifies the Alternative Minimum Tax so deftly that even the novice will understand it (but may still not like it!).

Although I already had a background in financial accounting, I'm certain that the absolute beginner could pick up this book, read it, and begin to work on their own return almost immediately. And even if someone isn't planning to do their own returns in the future, taxation is such an important part of life that a little familiarity with the topic couldn't hurt. Bravo to Mike Piper for making this topic so accessible to everyone!

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Specific Review, November 20, 2012
The material as written is easy to understand and well explained. I've gotten some good information out of the book and feel that I can use it. However, in this instance, the Kindle edition is inferior. Case in Point: Each chapter has a summary, and I have been unable to read the complete summary in 5 out of about 12 chapters that I've read so far. The last sentence (or sentences) have been cut short. For example, on Chapter 12, the third bullet point reads "each year, you're allowed an itemized" - that's it, all I get. So this takes away from the book in my opinion because I'm not getting everything the author wrote. This is sub-standard for Amazon. Could be the library edition that I'm using as a Prime member, but this is not the kind of excellence that I expect from Amazon for my Kindle. As I said, the book material is good, what I get of it - 4 stars for that. But the overall experience is only a 2 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taxes Made Simple, May 17, 2010
I like books that are short and sweet and I can read in one weekend. This is another one of those books. This author made it simple for everyone to understand. Highly recommended. As little as I do people's taxes, I think I'd like to start that with my already existing bookkeeping business. Thanks for the pages of confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Mike Piper, September 5, 2013
Piper's "...Made Simple" books are pretty much a sure bet. They're inexpensive, quick to read, and consistently give a solid, well-explained overview of the given financial topic. I've loaned out his "Investing Made Simple" several times.

Of course, you can only fit so much in 100 pages, and "Taxes Made Simple" is not a particularly deep dive in the Byzantine world of US taxes. Anyone looking for guidance on unusual/rare/thorny situations should look elsewhere. But if you want a broad overview of basic tax concepts that apply to most people, to help you tackle filing your own return and/or to do your own tax planning, then this will do the trick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but could benefit from practice quizzes and more examples., May 30, 2012
Taxes Made Simple is fairly straightforward and comprehensive, and can be finished within one or two days. The overall material is explained in a simple fashion; however, if you initially did not have any knowledge about taxes at all (like I for example), this book may still not have all the answers to your questions.

I recommend this book to people who already generally know a good deal about taxes but could certainly use a quick refresher on some of the basic concepts and options. Although not the most detailed, Mike Piper explains the material in a clear and concise way. I would definitely purchase his other books to gain additional insight on other fields. I suppose that complete learning and true understanding, however, requires hands-on practice and tactile experience.

Taxes Made Simple: Income Taxes Explained in 100 Pages or Less
Taxes Made Simple: Income Taxes Explained in 100 Pages or Less by Mike Piper (Paperback - September 12, 2014)
$15.00 $13.21