Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 13, 2008
I thought this book was ideal for someone with little to no background in taxes. I thought the material was easy to follow and understand. This book won't make you a tax professional as it is not terribly in-depth but the book never pretended to be (thus Taxes Made Simple name).

I would recommend this book to anyone trying to understand short term versus long term capital gains, tax deductions, etc.
on July 25, 2009
I teach Tax Accounting at a community college and find the material in our textbook very challenging for the students. I recently came across Mike Piper's series of small books, including "Taxes Made Simple." It's absolutely fantastic - short, easy to read, covers the main areas of concern and it's timely. It's so good, I'm buying a copy for each student and it will be their first reading assignment this coming Fall semester. It really makes taxes approachable and that's just what we need at the community college level. Great job, Mr. Piper.
on November 12, 2008
I've been using TurboTax to file my taxes for years. I input my numbers, answers the questions, and blindly submit my taxes, not really understanding what I was doing.

The "Taxes Made Simple" book has help me understand the basics of income taxes quickly and easily. I found the sections on common deductions and IRAs very helpful. It's perfect for someone who would like to know more about taxes are and how to better prepare for the years ahead.
on March 7, 2012
I was looking for a simple introduction to taxation to read before beginning a recent tax accounting course and this book totally fit the bill! Not only was I introduced to the most basic concepts of US personal income taxation, but by the end of reading it, I felt confident that I could tackle more advanced concepts.

The tax code may constantly change, but the fundamentals that make up the tax code stay the same. The author has masterly acquainted the reader with these critical components: income, exemptions, above and below the line deductions to AGI, and credits--he even walks through the 1040 and its various supporting schedules. Not only that, Piper demystifies the Alternative Minimum Tax so deftly that even the novice will understand it (but may still not like it!).

Although I already had a background in financial accounting, I'm certain that the absolute beginner could pick up this book, read it, and begin to work on their own return almost immediately. And even if someone isn't planning to do their own returns in the future, taxation is such an important part of life that a little familiarity with the topic couldn't hurt. Bravo to Mike Piper for making this topic so accessible to everyone!
on October 31, 2008
This book is a great read for anyone interested in how taxes actually work. Just enough detail for it all to make sense, but not overwhelming at all. Highly recommended!
on October 31, 2008
I found this book to be great. It is very easy to read and is a perfect introduction for learning how to do your own taxes. Mike Piper does an excellent job of demystifying complex tax sections and he presents them in an enjoyable and easy to understand way. Highly recommended!
on November 20, 2012
The material as written is easy to understand and well explained. I've gotten some good information out of the book and feel that I can use it. However, in this instance, the Kindle edition is inferior. Case in Point: Each chapter has a summary, and I have been unable to read the complete summary in 5 out of about 12 chapters that I've read so far. The last sentence (or sentences) have been cut short. For example, on Chapter 12, the third bullet point reads "each year, you're allowed an itemized" - that's it, all I get. So this takes away from the book in my opinion because I'm not getting everything the author wrote. This is sub-standard for Amazon. Could be the library edition that I'm using as a Prime member, but this is not the kind of excellence that I expect from Amazon for my Kindle. As I said, the book material is good, what I get of it - 4 stars for that. But the overall experience is only a 2 star.
on January 23, 2013
What's the difference between a deduction, exemption, and credit? What does marginal tax rate mean. I've been doing my taxes with tax software for years and with pen and paper before that and I never knew the answers to those questions. I do now. I also thought that all of my income was taxed at the x% rate and did not know it was progressive. There is a light bulb on the front of Mike Piper's books for a reason. This is the 3rd Mike Piper book I have read and once again it is excellent.
on February 25, 2013
This book is full of useful advice for those who want to understand taxes a little better. Granted, this is for those with little experience with taxes, but it still packs a lot of information. The best part is that most of the things explained in this also have examples to make the whole idea more understandable. I am not saying that I am a tax pro now, but I do know more than most because of this book. My only gripe about the whole thing is with the kindle version, the summaries don't edit in very well. But, it is only the summary/recap of what has already been explained, so you don't have to worry about really losing anything.
on April 8, 2011
This book takes that uncomfortable feeling out of your gut when doing your taxes.
It makes the issue understandable and uncomplicated. If you are a procrastinator and you need assurance that you can do it, this is a book for you. I don't need a CPA anymore. Combine this book with Stephen Fishman's book "Working for Yourself" and you will have the arsenal of information you need to to your taxes.
A must have!