5.0 out of 5 stars NOT the syndicated versions
Published 12 months ago by Johnny Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as pictured...
Great series, but buyer beware...Not as pictured...received some in cardboard boxes and others in small plastic cases....this also happened to me when I ordered "Frasier." Kind of misleading.
Published 22 months ago by A. Landry

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT the syndicated versions, November 20, 2013
Johnny Walker (Battersea, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taxi: The Complete Series (DVD)
The most popular review of this product is unfortunately the least accurate. I've done a lot of research on TAXI and this set (which I own) and I can absolutely confirm that these discs are NOT the shortened syndicated versions. Each episodes runs for approximately 24:30, which is exactly how long the original episodes ran for in the late 70s/early 80s. (Syndicated episodes are edited down to 22 minutes.)

One particular avid TAXI fan assures me that there is actually EXTRA footage in some of the episodes which never made it to the original broadcast. That was actually a sweet surprise, and while these new lines aren't always essential, they are definitely welcomed. (One such instance is when Jim goes back to visit his father. Alex goes with him, and the dialogue between Jim, Alex, and his father is more than when originally first aired. There are several episodes where this is the case, some featuring a extra line or two, others featuring more.)

Unfortunately, while these are not the syndicated versions, there ARE some instances when the episodes have been edited, but these are ONLY due to music right constraints. The episodes "Elegant Iggy" and "Jim's Mario" both feature noticeable instances of the cast singing songs that have been cut, for example.

Yes, it's a shame, but rest assured that the vast majority of episodes (i.e. those without singing) are exactly as they were originally broadcast. Not to mention the fact that (aside from one or two episodes) the show looks and sounds better than it's ever been.

And for those wondering: Yes, the bittersweet comedy still holds up fantastically today. In short: You SHOULD buy this DVD set.

5.0 out of 5 stars One great series, February 5, 2010
This review is from: Taxi: The Complete Series (DVD)
One of the best all time comedy series. The writting was always superb. The actors on this show where all top notch. This collection does not come in one box. All seasons come in separate boxes. But at least you get the complete series at a good price. Buy it. Not many TV shows where better or funnier than this one. This show is an example of where each actor was excellent in his own right, but, when you put the whole group together, the show became magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Series Ever?, January 5, 2010
This review is from: Taxi: The Complete Series (DVD)
If not, it was the most underated. Not to the critics, it kept winning emmys. It was a series that improved with age, going from a fine sitcom to a brilliantly acted and written examination of some wonderful characters. I bought this for my wife who had never seen the original episodes. There are at least twenty plus gems among these shows and very few are worth skipping. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars great show, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Taxi: The Complete Series (DVD)
I have not opened this up yet. I was happily surprised on how quickly this arrived at my residence. I am old enough to say I watched the show TAXI when it originally was on the television. It was a great show then and I look forward to watching this in the future. It was a great cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Taxi: The Complete Series (DVD)
What can I say, I love Taxi. Therefore, a box set gets 5 stars. One note, my father and I both noticed that there were missing episodes? I can't remember off the top of my head which ones, but I'm wondering if we are just crazy or if anyone else had noticed this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as pictured..., January 30, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Great series!, January 30, 2010
This review is from: Taxi: The Complete Series (DVD)
This is a classic series. Who could forget Louie DePalma? Rev. Jim Ignatowski? Latka? Alex?

All of these characters comprise a GREAT comedy show. I'm happy that I now own the series.

My ONLY complaint is: it stated that it's "closed caption". I did not find that to be true. Wish it was. This is the only reason I did not give it the full 5 stars. The ad was a little misleading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This because..., June 5, 2010
K. Kirkland (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taxi: The Complete Series (DVD)
I love this show however buying this is this format will cost more. At the price of $100.99 you will pay about $12 more than buying them individually. So be wary of this. Enjoy the show I certainly do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Taxi complete series, November 14, 2013
Judith (Gladstone, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taxi: The Complete Series (DVD)
Love the series and loved the low price (when purchased) but it is not exactly as pictured. The set is a mix of plastic cases and boxes shrink wrapped together (and not evenly either ha ha). If you like your sets to be the same dont buy this. I usually like them to match but for what I paid I'll deal. As long as they play it's all good!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series. One of the all-time best, along with Barney Miller & M*A*S*H, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Taxi: The Complete Series (DVD)
If you know TAXI but haven't taken the plunge then get this set! If you're considering it and are a fan of intelligently-written comedy acted by the best actors out there then you've come to the right place. Everyone here is top-shelf from the writer, actors and technical staff. These folks make it look easy, which good comedy is NOT. My favorite character is Reverend Jim. The writing for him is so wonderful and Christopher Lloyd is pitch-perfect in the part. His first full episode as a series regular is one of the funniest episodes EVER aired from ANY series.

Be warned, some (most?) of the episodes have been edited (I suspect the masters used for these DVDs were the trimmed, syndication versions), but until we get them all complete & uncut on Blu-ray someday (pray for it, but don't hold your breath), this is what we've got to work with. Better than nothing. Audio & Video are OK, but nothing spectacular. Complete set has no special packaging; just the individual season boxes shrink-wrapped into one bundle. VERY lame. This series deserves much better treatment. But once again, it's all we've got until "someday" comes along.

Taxi: The Complete Series
Taxi: The Complete Series by Judd Hirsch (DVD - 2009)
$129.98 $63.50