on January 1, 2011
So many people badmouthing the wonderful Taylor 1528 unit I though I'd chime in and let everybody know that they've addressed most of the complaints.
First of all, there seems to be a new version of the 1528 with a different display layout. They should've probably assigned it a different model number but fact of the matter is that they didn't. If you look in in the 1528's user manual at Taylor's website [...] then you'll see how it looks like now. It's easy to recognize though because the newer version has a little map icon of the States and the older version didn't have that. The version number for my unit located on a label on top of the unit states "1528 1010 V0270". So let's get to the list:
- The very dim backlight and the unreadable display issues that many have complained about are totally fixed. The backlight is super-bright blue-purple and the display is so contrasty you can even see phantom shades in numbers and graphics.
- The reception issue is gone, I've tried going with the unit behind two solid brick/concrete walls and checking if the remote sensor still works, and yes, it works great and the reception is very solid.
- You don't need any special cable to connect the base unit to the remote sensor, it's as easy as flipping a channel switch on the remote and pressing a button on the main unit to pair them. Anyhow, if you do need to connect a cable for whatever reason, there's no need to order one from Taylor as the plug is pretty standard so you can even do a cable yourself from a couple of old unused wall chargers. But again, there's no need.

I couldn't test the atomic clock functionality and both units run on lithium batteries (non-rechargeable). Don't know if that matters.

Now for the dislikes - I don't like the new layout on the display and the graphics as much as the older version. The new one looks slightly less modern and busy. The inclusion of the map is a dubious choice, it serves no real purpose but sort of ties the unit to one place in the world which is unfortunate.

It still got tiny screws on the remote unit but I didn't find that a problem.

That's about all, apart from what I've said and a little ambiguity regarding the meters/feet above see you have to set when setting up the barometer I'm totally satisfied with the unit. So I'd urge everyone to give it a chance provided you get a new version.

Disclaimer: I had to buy this unit elsewhere because Amazon wouldn't ship it to my place.
on September 9, 2009
Got the station yesterday will return it today for full refund. As previously noted by other users the display is barely readable regardless of whether you use batteries or the provided AC adapter. Too bad as the info displayed are nicely arranged. But what good does it make if you can't read them.
on January 18, 2010
When I recived the TAYLOR weather station, it had no remote probe wire. I tried to call twice and both times got switched to an answering device: Left a message and no one calls back. I also completed the email contact on the web site: no one emails back. DON'T buy from Taylor, the products aren't great (see other reviews) and the customer service can be described thus: THEY JUST IGNORE YOU!
on December 28, 2009
I received Model 1528 as a Christmas gift. It is next to impossible to read the very faint displays either using the ac adapter or batteries; I can't get the atomic clock signal on this product and I have placed the base station in numerous places throughout my home and waited up to 24 hours several times, before trying a new location in my home; so far no tech support from Taylor Precision Products customer service regarding a solution. Suggest one consider some other product from some other manufacture.
on August 21, 2009
The good:
1. No problem getting the radio time to set, from my cabin in the mountains of Washington.
2. The indoor temp and humidity readings match up well with another digital and a mercury thermometer. When the outside sensors are working, they seem accurate, too, although I've only tested them so far in temps over 60 degrees. According to the company, an outside sensor will read lower temps than most other digital thermometers, down to -40F if you attach the supposedly included probe to the sensor. Unfortunately, mine didn't come with the probe and it took months to get one. Since the probe arrived in summer, I can't say if the readings will go as low as promised.

The bad:
1. Very dim readout. The backlight goes off very quickly after you press it. When using more than one remote sensor for outside temps, it is impossible to see the icon that says which sensor is currently being displayed. You have to figure it out just by the order they display.
2. All the buttons are on the back, so you have to pick up the box. turn it around, put your finger on the button, and turn it around again to read whatever it is you are interested in, like (like "min/max"). Also, you can't hang this one on the wall because of those buttons.
3. Sensors go out of sync. I sometimes see all dashes on the remote line of the main readout. If I go outside to look at the sensor's own readout, it will be showing all 8s, meaning every LCD icon is activated. Eventually it will revert to the actual temp, and then the main readout will pick it up again. But the main readout may lag the outside changes for several minutes, despite being only 15 feet away.
4. Putting batteries in the remote requires a jeweler's Phillips head screwdriver.

My advice:
Look for a Taylor 1434 wireless thermometer instead, unless you need to read outside temps below -4 degrees F. Easier to read and use (buttons on front) and takes up less space. Available through Amazon at clearance price.
on January 4, 2010
Seller took way to long to ship. The wireless outdoor thermometer only transmits less than 10 feet, the bases display is very dim and hard to read, and the backlight button is so stiff you have to hold the unit with one hand and then push the button. This is just another poorly designed, Chinese piece of junk.
on November 17, 2009
Verified Purchase
I was thrown off a bit by the description. I thought this item had a larger display than it does. Also, the LCD display isn't very crisp -- kinda gray, actually.
on October 8, 2012
Verified Purchase
I purchased one Taylor unit and found it lacking in calibration as the base sensor and remote sensor disagreed with each other by 4%. The actual humidity readings were off by 20% from my previous in-house standards. It was hard to read, numbers were too close in brightness to the background scale.

I sent this one back and you nicely sent me another unit. (The person I corresponded with via e-mails was extremely courteous and helpful.) The second one was just as bad. Back it went.

I purchased another Taylor unit, an upgrade (more money) than the unit above. This set had the same problems as the two above AND some of the number segments did not function on the base station. Back it went also.

I have communicated with the Taylor manufacturer and they are slow to respond (by many many days) and also their responses are not on point and ineffectual.

I later purchased a La Crosse Technology set from Amazon and it performed quite well, base sensor and remote sensor agreed with each other (within 1/2%). Data screen was MUCH easier to read (contrast was wonderful). The humidity sensors (both base and remote) stabilized much more quickly than any of the above Taylor instruments.

After this, I went to the La Crosse website and purchased an upgrade the the immediate above. It also is working GREAT and I am currently using both sets.

If you want my recommendation, I would dump the Taylor instrument group and settle on La Crosse Technology.

I write this on my basis as a Senior Quality Assurance Engineer for a major computer company (at least it WAS) and my current position as the owner of a small business selling industrial static control products. You may check out my bona fides at [...] .

I DO appreciate the manner in which you treat your on-line customer.

Sincere Best Regards: Scott Carpenter
on August 21, 2011
While I was surfing the web looking for a new weather station I found the Taylor 1528 on another site (where I eventually bought it). I thought that it looked great and had all of the features that I wanted. Then I came across the mostly negative reviews on Amazon... They almost turned me off buying it, but one review talked about the new model (same model # though) with a different display layout and how this model fixed all of the earlier probs. The other site I was looking at had a pic of the new display layout and so I bought it in the hope that the review of the newer model was true - it wasn't.

The good:
* It does have all of the features I wanted, for a reasonable price
* The data is displayed in a reasonably well laid out manner
* It includes a plug pack for the base station to run off mains power so you have the option of battery or mains (though the routing of the plug into the unit is untidy and ugly - just sticks out the side)
* The extra probe on the remote (outdoor) station is a bonus - good idea if you wanted to put it in a pool for example

The not so good:
* Display is not dark enough to read easily. With the backlight on it is fine, but lets face it, I/you want to be able to look at our weather station hanging on the wall and see the data, not have to walk across the room and press a button to get it to light up - right?
* I have had it set-up for a few weeks now and the atomic clock has not synced despite numerous attempts. Not a big deal, it is easy to set the clock manually, but I feel cheated that I didn't get what I paid for
* When I first unpacked it I put the base and remote stations beside each other for a while and they were always around 5 degrees temp and 5 or so percent humidity different
* I am reasonably confident that the atmospheric pressure is not reading quite true. For example, right now the device says that the pressure is 1014hPa, but if I look online at a local weather site it says the pressure is 1020hPa - a reasonable discrepancy and it obviously affects the weather station's weather predicting function
* All the buttons are on the back. No surprises, I knew this before I bought it (my fault, not the product's). It would be handy if just the ones that allowed you to see history and max/min data were on front, so that you didn't have to take it off the wall to check these features

Bottom line:
Would I buy it again? No. I'd pick something different.
Do I dislike it enough to go and buy something else and replace it? Hmmmm, no, well not yet...
Verified Purchase
I have a couple of atomic clocks, but this one isn't able to recieve the signal. I even put it next to another atomic clock and it still didn't get a signal, so this isn't a matter of placement. Save your money.

See 1 answered question