5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable kitchen tool
Published on January 9, 2002 by Frank Lynch

1.0 out of 5 stars Internal face spins around
I had the opportunity to use this thermometer once after losing my previous meat thermometer of 15 years.

The second time I went to use this thermometer, the internal face spun around freely inside the enclosure. Obviously this makes it impossible to tell the temperature and rendered the thermometer useless.

I always try to remember that you get...
Published on June 30, 2009 by L. Niland

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable kitchen tool, January 9, 2002
This review is from: Taylor 5989N Classic Instant Read Pocket Thermometer (Kitchen)
There may be better instant read thermometers out there, but this has always done the trick for me, whether it's testing the water in baking bread or quickly finding out whether a roast is done. Its slender needle goes into hunks of meat quickly, and the whole thing is light enough that, if you are concerned that your burgers on the grill are properly cooked, you can easily put this in your pocket as you head to the back yard. Small note of caution for other dummies like me: the dial is under a plastic window, and so the whole thing should not go -in- the oven. For that, you want a meat thermoeter with a glass face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a great French pressed coffee, March 23, 2007
Everyone talks about how convenient, versatile and simple this little thing is. It's great.

Information you might wonder about, and my coffee method:

- Size: It's about the length of a ball-point pen, and comes with a holder that looks like one. The head is about the size of a quarter.

- Speed: The needle moves a lot faster than the liquid in a candy thermometer. Instant-read it's not, unless you mean that you can instantly read the temperature after the needle stops moving. But it's still pretty fast, and as you see the needle slow down, you get a pretty good idea of where it's going to stop. Kind of like knowing where you'll stop when you hit the brakes. So, it gets more useful as you get used to it.

- Accuracy: I tried it with boiling water, and with an ice-water mix that had been shaken around. It's pretty accurate - accurate enough for most uses.

- Coffee: I use it mostly for making French pressed coffee. If you put boiling water in coffee grinds, you will likely get a bitter brew. I pick the pot right before it reaches a boil and use this little device to read 205 degrees F. Drop the water into a french press containing coarse grounds, and four minutes later you have excellent coffee. Thanks to this little guy I discovered that eyeballing the water in the kettle is not a good way to figure out the right temperature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep it Stupid Simple., May 26, 2002
Belladonna Le Femme (Las Vegas, NV United States) - See all my reviews
You can keep your bulky & fragile digital readout probes, I'll take a good ol' thearmalcouple any day. I've tried various digitals & EVERY SINGLE ONE stopped working over time(no, not a dead battery). I've had dozens of similar probes as this Taylor model over the years & always lose them before they stop working. The only thing I don't care for is the soft plastic, somewhat bulky sheath. However it does have a notch for recalibrating so needle nose pliers aren't neccisarry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taylor Thermometer, August 27, 2005
T. Haskell (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
I am a cook for the US Army, and I have been using Taylor Instant-Read Dial Thermometer's for over 5 years now. It is quick reading, easy to use, and reliable. I would use this thermometer over any of the newer digital ones. Most thermometers as with most things need to be recalibrated. Taylor has supplied a calibration device on the carry case!

On top of all of the great features that the Taylor Analog Thermometer has, its also a bragain. At just $6.99 each you can not beat it!

I would recommend this product to anyone who does any type of cooking. This is ecspecially helpful when cooking Chicken, as you can test all of your piece quickly to make sure that all are done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, accurate, and simple to use, it's the best!, May 16, 2003
By A Customer
This is the best thermometer I have owned, and I have owned a few. (One did not give a fast reading and had a prong that broke off. Another was digital and a bother to turn on and remember to turn off, in addition to taking too long to give a reading and being relatively expensive.) This thermometer is compact and simply designed, ridiculously easy to use, and gives a fast and accurate reading. For example, from room temperature to 160 degrees F, it takes just about five seconds. The relatively fine point at the end makes it easy to insert into meats, unlike some bulky-pronged thermometers I have had. This plastic case with a pocket clip is great, too. Forget about the fancier, more expensive gadgets. -- this little gadget performs like a dream, and the price is right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low Tech Works Best, November 30, 2005
I have been cooking in resturants for many years and I never went a night without this thermometer.

Its quick, accurate, and cheap. If it does go out of whack, just put it in a glass of ice set it for 32d.

Get it you'll love it!!

Just don't put it in the oven....

1.0 out of 5 stars Internal face spins around, June 30, 2009
L. Niland (West Hartford, CT) - See all my reviews

I always try to remember that you get what you pay for. For this product it's sadly too true.

1.0 out of 5 stars Constantly goes out of calibration, May 31, 2009
I've owned one of these for about a year, and always handled it gently. But the thing is constantly putting itself way out of calibration. One day water boils at 202F (I live in Colorado), the next day it boils at 178F. I keep a wrench in my kitchen so I can always boil a batch of water, calibrate it, and then actually measure what I need to. But that is a huge pain and a waste of energy. Right now it's sitting in a bucket of ice water. This is very special water indeed--it's 12F!

Other than its ability to measure temperature, yeah, it's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars the industry standard - for good reason, December 2, 2006
Puffer Red (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this thermometer for a while and I test it every so often for ice water (0 degrees) and boiling water (212) and it never wavers by more than 3 degrees. Its very simple and tough. The only limitation is perhaps that it takes a bit of time to read the temp, maybe 15 seconds. Skip the batteries, the infrared, and fork shaped thermometers. Stick to Taylor or their subsidiary Trutemp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful/ Good Price, April 13, 2007
I originally paid $2.49 for this on Amazon and the price increased over time to $6.61. Nonetheless this is a good value and eligible for Amazon's buy 3 get one free promotion for kitchen items. My local grocery store is asking $9.99 for the same thermometer. The one inch diameter dial is small and is thus a bit hard to read but this also makes the thermometer compact. The dial is plastic so remember that this is not an oven thermometer; it will melt in the oven. I bought this to make yogurt where I need to keep the temperature at 112 F. It responds quickly enough for yogurt making while heating and cooling milk.

Taylor 5989N Classic Instant Read Pocket Thermometer