Flying has become a nightmare lately, especially internationally. All carriers have various luggage size and weight restrictions, and as overweight surcharges have become another source of revenue for airlines many carriers have started enforcing them rigorously.
There's nothing worse than getting to the airport and being told that the suitcase it took you hours to squeeze shut is just two lbs too heavy, and you have the choice to either leave something behind or pay a surcharge.

Of course, you always have the option to use your bathroom scale to weigh your luggage; it's cumbersome, and unless you have one of those fancy scales with a remote screen, by the time the suitcase is on the scale you can't see the dial. Besides, you're still left with the problem of finding a scale at your destination to get ready for the flight back.

Enter the tiny, 5oz Taylor #8120 Digital Luggage Scale. It's basically a handle with a strap and a small LCD readout. Attach the strap to your suitcase handle, press the button and wait for the readout to display 00; then, pick up the handle and lift the suitcase with it, wait for the beep... and read the weight of the suitcase on the display (it can be configured to show lbs or kgs)
It's so small that you can very easily find space for it in the suitcase you just weighted, your carry-on bag, or even a pocket if necessary.

The scale is powered by a standard user-replaceable CR2032 button lithium battery that should last many years.

A very inexpensive price to pay for convenience and peace of mind. Highly recommended.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 11, 2009
I am very impressed by the accuracy of this scale. I tested it by lifting various known weights (dumbbells) and found that it was usually dead-on accurate, or at worst, a few ounces off. The accuracy improves with the smoothness of the lift, so you want to try to lift straight up without allowing the bag to shift as you lift. Even if the bag dose shift around a bit, the scale will most likely be well within a half a pound of the actual weight.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Taylor #8120 Digital Luggage Scale is definitely useful and a good bargain considering the price. I don't think this works for all travelers because it simply does not feel durable enough to be used with luggage towards the top end of the 40 kg weight rating. But for those who take frequent trips with overnight bags, this will probably do the trick at a reasonable price.

PROS:
+ Great price for a luggage scale
+ Digital read-out
+ Can display weight in pounds or kilograms
+ Nice simple design that is small enough to take to the airport with you

CONS:
- Contruction seems to be of low durability
- Not well designed for use with heavier bags
- Not designed for two-handed use

This unit comes in a small cardboard box. It says it's rated for 88 lbs. I typically travel with two pieces of luggage that are around 50 lbs and I try not to go over that per bag. In any event, the unit itself feels like it's not very durable and over time may not work as well as standard scales I have used that don't have the digital read-out.

The unit comes with a small battery pre-installed. You just have to remove the plastic tab that keeps the battery from draining before use. Once you do that, you attach the strap to your luggage and you lift with one hand. The small LED screen will give you a readout. If you need more than one read-out you have to press the button in the handle to reset the unit.

The instructions are minimal but make one limitation of this scale clear. If you try to lift luggage with both hands, this unit will not give you an accurate reading. It is designed to work best when the luggage is attached to the scale and lifted with one hand by your side as if you were picking up your luggage to carry it. That's the first clue that 88 lbs is an unreasonable weight for this unit. Most people will probably not be able to lift an 88 lb bag with one hand.

The unit seems to be fairly accurate. I tested this with my work book-bag (which tends to be a heavy 35-40 pounds) and a few small pieces of luggage. I also took measurements with a floor scale, and this handle scale was accurate to within a few pounds. In that sense, it definitely fulfills the main requirement and is a good value considering other digital scales I was looking at were more expensive.

Anybody who experiences accuracy issues likely got a dud and should try again. These are definitely not the highest end electronics inside this scale. Similarly, if the battery seems drained the plastic tab might not have been properly aligned to stop the battery from activating before you recieved it. In both cases I would recommend returning the item and trying to get a new one.

But I have a different gripe. The main drawback is just the construction. I think a 60 lb bag is pushing it with this unit. I cannot even imagine trying to use this regularly with 80 lb bags of luggage. So if you looking to weigh bags at around 50 lbs or less, this is a handy accessory. Anything more than that and a more heavy duty alternative will probably suit you better.

Enjoy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2009
I bought this scale for an overseas trip to be sure of not going over weight. It was easy to use and bring with me for using as things in my bags were rearanged and the next leg of my travels resumed. I was pleased to see the airport scale agree with the readings I had, and that I was able to load my luggage within half a pound of my limit and not pay for overage. I know it has paid for itself on this one trip alone. It is easy to change between Kg and Lbs. Has auto shut off and is very small and light weight itself. Scale is also very easy to read with the clear LCD display. It also reads in 1/10 Lb increments. Could not be happier with this purchase.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is one of the best purchases you can make. We just got back from a two week trip to Israel and Jordan and this scale worked great. Many on our tour wanted to borrow this for the return flight home and found it easy to use.
With excess baggage weight fees now at $90 for domestic and $150 for International, it's a logical travel investment to make.

1) It's lightweight as well. Don't leave it at home if you are going to buy things on your trip. Take it with you. You'd be amazed how those cool Arabic and Hebrew soda bottles add weight to your bag!

2) Easy to use and locks in the reading, so you can focus on lifting the bag. Analog scales need an extra person to read the scale while you lift.

3) Ours is very accurate compared to airport scales, within a pound. But if the bag sways while lifting the weight can change. We set an upper limit of 48 lbs to be safe.

4) Only downside I can think of is you can put this the kilo-gram mode to easily. It's obvious when ou look, but an different way to switch that mode would make more sense.

5) It does take a battery but also has an power off feature after so many minutes of non-use.

Warning, airlines will hate that you have this. Three people on our tour found they have overweight bags going home, so the airline lost $450 after they re-balanced their bags.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2008
After being caught with overweight luggage I thought it best to try something other than the bathroom scale which proved wrong. The Taylor Luggage Scale is easy to use and read! There are more expensive luggage scales on the market, but this one is perfect.
on January 17, 2010
This is a very accurate, lightweight, and easy-to-use scale at an affordable price.

These days, keeping the weight of each luggage piece under 50 lbs will save you tons of money, not to mention the time and frustration at the airport if you find yourself having to repack your bags and/or cram heavy items in your carry on if you go over.

Contrary to what one reviewer wrote, the scale may not be designed for two hands, but you can use it very easily with two hands. I just loop 3 fingers from each hand through the handle and pull straight up. In fact, I found the scale to be slightly more accurate if I used two hands. I placed a small suitcase on a very accurate postal scale, and it weighed 34 lbs, 0.2 oz. When I used the Taylor scale with one hand, per its directions, it weighed 33.8 lbs. When I pulled up using two hands, the Taylor scale read 34.0 lbs. I suspect that using two hands allows one to more easily lift the suitcase and does not cause as much sway, which could lead to some inaccuracy.

I will agree that its plastic construction does not instill a lot of confidence in its durability and sturdiness, but if it was made of metal, it would certainly weigh more than its mere 5.2 ounces! This small amount of weight, along with its tiny footprint of only 5.75" x 3" x 1.25", will allow you to take it with you on your trip in case you're worried about the weight of your souvenir purchases.

One other PRO - the unit will shut automatically shut off after about a minute, conserving battery life.

And one CON - the scale's readings can vary from one minute to the next by about 4-8 oz, and it *always* reads lower than the actual weight of the suitcase (as weighed on my postal scale). I will always add a pound to the scale's reported weight, as a safety margin, because the airlines will usually not offer you any leeway.
on June 16, 2009
I wish I had found this years ago! This will make it so much easier to pack considering the airliners will continue to find ways to gauge the travelers.

The Scale is exetremely light, easy to use and has a clear display. I also own a regular Taylor digital scale and it has served me well over the past 5 years. To me, it only makes sence to purchase a luggage scale from a digital scale maker.

Originally, I was concerned with the display. Especially considering there is no pictures on Amazon. Its about an inch in length and 1/3 inch in width. Considering you will be lifting the luggage towards you, reading the display is a breeze. Plus, the scale beeps when it has determined the weight and the reading stays there until you clear it by pressing the button on the handle.

The only flaw I can see is for the strip to tear over time. But all of my luggage came with one of those strips that I can easily insert into the metal clip under the handle.

Also, I wished it used AAA battery instead of CR 2032 lithium ion. Considering AAAs are more readily available and the last thing I want is to be scrambling for Li-ion battery the night before my flight.

I hope this helps.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 11, 2009
A great addition to the traveler's kit when flying. Not all of us fly business class and therefore have to deal with luggage weight limits if we want to avoid paying excess fees. This gadget works well to check your suitcase both before leaving home and also before starting the return trip to make sure that the maximum weight allowance is not exceeded. Easy to use and convertible between lbs and kgs. Fairly accurate to within 2 pounds when tested from 15 lbs to 45 lbs when weighing gym weights.

My major gripe is the lithium battery showed a LO warning the very next day after I received the item necessitating a replacement battery at $5.00 (nearly 30% of the purchase price). Either the inventory at the Amazon warehouse was old or the particular battery was getting outdated. I did not manage to find a way on line of getting Amazon's attention as I feel that they should provide me with a new battery or pay for the one I had to buy within such a short period of receiving the scale. My previous purchase experiences with Amazon have always been good.

If it were not for this problem, I would give it 4 stars.
on January 16, 2011
I bought both the Balanzza Digital Scale (Balanzza BZ200 Ergo Digital Luggage Scale (Green)) as well as this Taylor Digital Scale (Taylor #8120 Digital Luggage Scale) since they were both highly rated. After receiving both scales, I must say that I prefer the Balanzza one more for the following reasons:
1. The Balanzza appears better built.
2. The Balanzza can show the measurement in both lbs and kgs whereas the Taylor cannot.
3. The Balanzza supports up to 100lbs whereas the Taylor only support 88lbs. However, most airlines don't allow for this weight anyways, so this is not a huge concern.
4. The Balanzza supports 2 AAA batteries instead of the button battery in the Taylor. Since AAA batteries are easier to find, this is more beneficial while traveling.

If I had to purchase this again, I would only choose the Balanzza.

However, the Taylor is not a bad scale either - I just prefer the Balanzza more.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...