Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Taylor Precision Products Commercial Waterproof Digital Thermometer
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

VINE VOICEon March 6, 2006
I love this little thermometer. It reaches a reading within 10 seconds or so, and is accurate over a great temperature range. I use it for all kinds of things...checking my water to proof yeast, meat temperatures, candy, chocolate, and even to check the ambient temperature. It has a nice protective cover and is small and easy to store. I simply could not cook without this little helper beside me.

UPDATE: I've had this thermometer for almost 2 years now and it is still going strong! Seems to be very durable and has great battery life.
11 comment| 377 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 25, 2004
This thermometer works fine for all my kitchen tasks. I wanted one thermometer to use for everything - yeast, yogurt, candy, meat, and this does the job. Pluses: seems to be accurate, waterproof (easy to wash), auto shut-off, wide temperature range, small for easy storage. Minuses: it does take several seconds to read the final temp, the on-off button is kind of small, cannot be left in the oven (in a turkey, for example). Overall, I give it 5 stars.
22 comments| 327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2007
The thing I care most about with a thermometer is the delay on a reading, because usually I'm on my knees in front of my open oven trying to check on a roast chicken or something, and the longer I have to leave the oven open, the more it interferes with the cooking.

This thermometer responds very quickly. Within about 5 seconds, it may still be changing a bit, but it's converged to where I know the temperature.

Mine was very accurate right out of the box. I tested it with ice water and boiling water and both were spot-on. And the little calibration dial looks simple enough to use if it happened to be slightly off.

My only complaint, but it's not even enough to bump my review down a star, is that the battery insertion is a bit of a pain. I opened it at first to see how it worked and then it took me 15 minutes of fumbling to get the thing back together. That's due to the waterproofing -- the drawer is this fiddly piece of rubber, so it's hard to really get the battery lined up just right, and the rubber's a bit bigger than the opening, so that it forms a tight seal. Given how infrequently I'll need to replace the battery, it's not a big concern.

I haven't tested the waterproofing too aggressively; for me the benefit is just being comfortable holding the whole thermometer under running water to clean it, or leaving it on the counter where I might splash liquid on it and not having to worry that it'll short out.
on June 14, 2010
I already owned one of these for several years. I recently bought another from Amazon of the exact same brand/model, to have two. I use them for cooking and testing the hot water temp out of the kitchen tap. Would you believe they disagreed by 11-12 degrees F or more? Same tap, one says 121 and the other 150. So I brought a pot of water to boil to see which one is closer to 212 (sea level of course - I am about 600 feet up in the Chicago area so boiling temp should be a little lower). One got to about 210.5 and sat there. Good enough for this price. The other was all over the place. I tried adjusting the temp via the calibration screw. That did not help. I don't know which thermometer was new and which was my older one - they look identical. Makes no difference really - the one off went off to the trash. If you rely on the temperature the Taylor gives - it does register to tenths of a degree - get a second opinion, or do the boiling water test.
2727 comments| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2006
I've gone through several instant read thermometers. This is by far the best I've used. Its wide range is ideal and it stands up to more abuse than others. Well worth the price.
on September 13, 2005
I wanted an instant read thermometer that I could use for meats & poultry (110 deg. - 160 deg.) and for checking temp for deep fat frying ( 300 deg. - 360 deg.) This unit has performed both functions very well, taking bumps and knocks better than standard analog pocket thermometers. Worth the money.
on August 19, 2005
I have been cooking for 18 years and have yet found a thermometer that can take the beating i put it through. I order this thermometer on just looks and was inpressed from the minute i used it. I would recommend this thermometer to anyone. In fact i order two more for my crew.
on January 11, 2007
The readings on this are certainly not instantly accurate, though they are instantly within say 5-10 degrees, it then takes 5-10s to get it perfect, its OK for what I use it for though.

My biggest problem with this thermometer, is that it bills itself as waterproof, and it most certainly isn't. It might be water resistant, but certainly not water proof. After two washings, it still works, but the screen has condensation and discoloration inside it, making it nearly illegible. I have added a very clear custom image of what it looks like, I urge you to take a look before buying.

I will be returning this item shortly

- Davey
review image
1515 comments| 206 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2012
I requested a replacement as per warrantee dircectly from Taylor Precision Instruments of this Taylor 9842 Commercial Waterproof Digital Thermometer which failled to calibrate accurately. Instructions were followed to a (T). The replacement failed to be calibrated as well.

I am surmising that the entire shipment which Taylor Precision Instruments obtained (MADE IN CHINA), was faulty. I also think I would be wasting my time and money contacting TPI again.
Thanks for the opportunity to VENT over this product.

DISAPPOINTED PURCHASER!!
Note: I am usually satisfied with purchased made through AMAZON.
on December 16, 2013
It may be that some of us are getting faulty thermometers? This thing is so slow compared to my traditional dial thermometer. I will try to contact the company to get a replacement and review how they handled it.

Update 1/10/14:
The company was quick to respond and I was impressed by the faith in their product. They sent me another thermometer immediately.

Unfortunately, I used the thermometer for my Christmas dinner (wrong decision on my part). I thought the thermometer was only Slow... but trusted it was accurate. Not so... My beautiful sage and thyme marinated New York Strip Roast was ruined. I am not a novice at using thermometer probes. I calibrated the temp probe with ice water as instructed by the Taylor insert instructions and made sure to insert the end of the probe into the center of the roast. The temperature was oddly low despite the cooking time... around 105.. Why isnt the temp going up? The third time I took out the roast (cooking interval 5 minutes), the meat was firm and suddenly went up to 135. Panicked, I took out my trusted old analog thermometer and the roast was ruined at 150 degrees.

I did not take pictures of the thermometers at that time since I was so upset but just did a roast last night and was able to obtain a photo for evidence. See the picture: The left side thermometer is the original thermometer that is soooo sloowwww registering 138. The right side thermometer is the replacement they sent me - underestimates the temperature at 119. My analog is in between - registering at about 135.

I really wanted to believe in the product due to their customer service but I am too traumatized by my experience.
review image