Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Taylor Swift
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on October 24, 2006
You can tell that Taylor Swift cares about the integrity of the music, and not just making money with the Nashville machine. Her voice has a wistfulness that reminds me of Deana Carter (though not with as much range on the higher notes yet,) and the arrangements avoid overproduction. Lyrically, "Tim McGraw" isn't even one of the better songs. This is a thoroughly charming debut - with youthful fun combined with a sophistication not expected.
on August 17, 2012
The complaint here is that the jewel case for this CD arrived broken, with a small piece totally missing. Had it occurred during shipping the broken off piece would have been inside the padded envelope. Not so, which means an obviously damaged item was shipped to a customer. The CD itself was OK, so this situation is not worth the hassle of a return. I have many extra CD cases. It does indicate sloppy quality control to me. Otherwise, I would have rated this CD 5 stars, as I am a member of Taylor Nation, possibly the oldest.

This album was cut when she was 16 years old. She wrote all the songs, and I am sure did most of the arraignments, beginning her fast rise on the way to becoming a self-made millionaire. I read through some of the complaints here -- Hey, lighten up, whiners. What would you expect a 16 year old girl to write songs about, anyway? She is one of the great songwriters; her target audience distracts the unaware from how truly great her lyrics really are.

Kris Kristofferson said it all in an introduction at an award ceremony, her music speaks her truth. All you have to do is listen. Those critics of her voice itself should probably record themselves and publish on YouTube, so we'll all become enlightened.

My advice is, if you don't get it, don't get it.
on November 18, 2007
Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift offers up the perfect "new country album" with the (re)release of her self-titled debut. The new release contains three more tracks than the original album (the last three on the album). Overall, "Taylor Swift" is about being a young woman, optimistic and emotional, living through the ups and downs of her country/cosmopolitan life. Certainly meant more for the women in the crowd, Swift's songs range from slow with gooey romantic lyrics to quick-paced and free-spirited. Her performance is remarkably strong, especially for a newcomer on the scene. Having all the talent and charisma of Carrie Underwood, but with a warmer touch and perhaps a bit more depth, "Taylor Swift" is a must-listen for anyone who is a woman, or has a woman in his life.
on April 15, 2013
Album Highlights:

#3 "A Place In This World" -- She's alone, but she's going to be strong find and... (enter title).

#6 "The Outside" -- She is on the outside looking in. She wonders how she'll ever do/be better from there.

#11 "Our Song" -- As a couple, they don't have a special song. But, they do; it is all those memorable moments they'll remember for the rest of their lives.

This 15-track album of 2008 was the artist's first. She writes most of her own songs. The audience can hear Taylor discovering her musical footing in these tracks. Sometimes, the volume of her voice compared to the instruments is not appropriate. She doesn't hit all the notes on pitch, as she will in later work. She's singing more fast-paced loud modern country here, not what we'll here in her "Fearless album.

I'm a latecomer to the phenomenon that is Taylor Swift. I began avidly listening in 2011 and purchasing in 2012, which has given me a chance to view a grouping of her work at one time.

Other Taylor Swift albums:

Fearless

Speak Now
on December 12, 2007
Taylor Swift is incredibly talented. This CD is great fun, and takes me back to those crazy high school days. Both perky tunes and ballads are beautifully represented. I look forward to seeing how Taylor Swift develops as a talent over the years.
on November 30, 2015
I am one of these people who is definitly not Taylor Swift's intended audience.And looking back from the perspective of the beginning of her career. And not from where she is now. Probably the most popular female vocalist in the world. I dont really know what there is about her. This is her first cd. And I have to admit I didn't think the first song Tim McGraw was all that. But I thought her next song Teardrops On My Guitar was excellent. She captured the angst of teenage love perfectly. And her other singles off of here. Picture To Burn,Should've Said No and Our Song all have that same spirit. There aren't any bad songs on this cd. And the fact that she wrote these songs show a depth well beyond her years. I dont think anybody knew at the time how big she was going to be. But you could tell she had a bright future ahead of her.
VINE VOICEon March 8, 2008
I was late to jump on the wagon, but I have recently become a Taylor Swift fan. I liked "Tim McGraw" and "Teardrops on My Guitar" when I heard them on the radio. "Picture to Burn" is what finally tipped me to buy the full CD. I also enjoy "Cold as You", "The Outside" and "Should've Said No". She seems very mature for her years and it is refreshing that she does write her own material. Let's hope taylor Swift can stay real.
on October 29, 2012
Solid collection of songs with OK singing. Never really liked her weak voice much, but the songs are strong enough to carry the day. All the songs are good and especially like Tim McGraw, Teardrops On My Guitar, Stay Beautiful and I'm Only Me When I'm With You. Get her other CDs first (1. Fearless, 2. Red, 3. Speak Now and then this one, but all are worthwhile.) Here's how I rank the songs from 10 - awesome to 1 - terrible:

1. Tim McGraw - 8
12. I'm Only Me When I'm With You - 9
13. Invisible - 8
14. A Perfectly Good Heart - 7
on September 13, 2007
when i first heard "Tim Mcgraw" i really liked the song but wasn't enough to buy her album and become her fan but after "Tearsdrops On My Guitar" she really got me! i really can relate with some of her songs and that's the reason why she's making so much sucess...people can relate with her songs and she's trying with sucess be a good role model to her young fans and that makes me adimire her a lot...i'm sure she will get better with time and will become one of the best country singers because she has the talent and the heart in the right place!
like i said you will fall in love with Taylor, she has a sweet voice and she's a beautiful girl too...what more you can ask for?

a little about each song in her own words

Tim McGraw (Taylor Swift & Liz Rose) - "This song means so much to me, that's why we wanted it to be the first track on the album. The idea for this song came to me in math class. I just started singing to myself `When you think Tim McGraw.' The concept for this song hit me, because I was dating a guy who moved away, and it was going to be over for us. So I started thinking of things that I knew would remind him of me. The first thing that came to mind was that my favorite song is by Tim McGraw. After school, I went downtown, sat down at the piano, and wrote this with Liz Rose in fifteen minutes. It may be the best fifteen minutes I've ever experienced."

Picture To Burn (Taylor Swift & Liz Rose) - "Before I sing this song, I always try to tell the audience that I really do try to be a nice person... but if you break my heart, hurt my feelings, or are really mean to me, I'm going to write a song about you. Haha. This song is the perfect example."

Teardrops On My Guitar (Taylor Swift & Liz Rose) - "I used to have a huge crush on this guy, who would sit there every day talking to me about...another girl: how beautiful she was, how nice and smart and perfect she was. And I sat there and listened, never meaning it any of the times I said `Oh, I'm so happy for you.' I guess this is a good example of how I let my feelings out in songs, and sometimes no other way. And I've never been afraid of using names. I love this song because of its honesty and vulnerability. To this day, they are still together and he has no idea about this song."

A Place In This World (Taylor Swift & Robert Orrall & Angelo) - "I wrote this song when I was thirteen and had just moved to Nashville. It was tough trying to find out how I was going to get where I wanted to go. I knew where I wanted to be, but I just didn't know how to get there. I'm really happy this is on the album, because I feel like I finally figured it out."

Cold As You (Taylor Swift & Liz Rose) - "I wrote this song with Liz, and I think the lyrics to this song are some of the best we've ever written. It's about that moment where you realize someone isn't at all who you thought they were, and that you've been trying to make excuses for someone who doesn't deserve them. And that some people are just never going to love you. We were halfway through writing this when I started singing `And now that I'm sitting here thinking it through, I've never been anywhere cold as you'."

The Outside (Taylor Swift) - "This is one of the first songs I ever wrote, and it talks about the very reason I ever started to write songs. It was when I was twelve years old, and a complete outcast at school. I was a lot different than all the other kids, and I never really knew why. I was taller, and sang country music at karaoke bars and festivals on weekends while other girls went to sleepovers. Some days I woke up not knowing if anyone was going to talk to me that day. I think every person comes to a point in their life when you have a long string of bad days. You can choose to let it drag you down, or you can find ways to rise above it. I came to the conclusion that even though people hadn't always been there for me, music had. It's strange to think how different my life would be right now if I had been one of the cool kids."

Tied Together With A Smile (Taylor Swift & Liz Rose) - "One of my best friends is absolutely beautiful. She goes to beauty pageants and wins everything. Girls want to be her and guys want to be with her. I wrote this song the day I found out about her eating disorder. It completely blew my mind, and this one was tough to write, because I wasn't just telling some sad story. This was real. This song is basically about the girls I know, and the difficult things I saw them go through. I've never seen this song as a lecture. It's really about how no matter what my friends go through, I'm always going to love them."

Stay Beautiful (Taylor Swift & Liz Rose) - "After hearing my songs, a lot of people ask me, `How many boyfriends have you HAD?' And I always tell them that more of my songs come from observation than actual experience. In other words, you don't have to date someone to write a song about them. This is a song I wrote about a guy I never dated! Wow, right? Haha. This song is about a guy I thought was cute, and never really talked to him much. But something about him inspired this song, just watching him."

Should've Said No (Taylor Swift) - "Just being a human being, I've realized that before every big problem you create for yourself, before every huge mess you have to clean up, there was a crucial moment where you could've just said no. This is a song I wrote about a guy who never should have cheated on me."

Mary's Song (Oh My My My) (Taylor Swift & Liz Rose & Brian Maher) - "I wrote this song about a couple who lived next door to us. They'd been married forever and they came over one night for dinner, and were just so cute. They were talking about how they fell in love and got married, and how they met when they were just little kids. I thought it was so sweet, because you can go to the grocery store and read the tabloids, and see who's breaking up and cheating on each other (or just listen to some of my songs, haha). But it was really comforting to know that all I had to do was go home and look next door to see a perfect example of forever."

Our Song (Taylor Swift) - I just sat down one day with my guitar and got in a groove, and went with it. I like to write about how music affects people, and this was fun to write because it's about a couple who DOESN'T have a song. I like the banjo and you really can't go wrong with banjo. I wanted it to be last on the album, because the last line of the chorus is `play it again'. Let's hope people take it as a hint to go ahead and play the album again. Haha!"
on January 22, 2007
On a 2 hour trip recently, I heard an interview with Taylor Swift on XM radio. I had never heard of her, or her music but liked the songs they chose for the short show and enjoyed hearing about her (short!) life in music. She writes, sings and plays on her first CD release, and to me, she is more talented and has a better voice than many single female artists out there right now.

So I bought the CD and was pleasantly surprised at her writing and singing talents. I believe it is a safe bet that she will be around for quite a while. Great 1st record!