5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and accurate
Much more accurate than test strips. I use this kit for both my pool and hot tub.

Published on June 7, 2011 by R. Vanderhoff

3.0 out of 5 stars A better choice: Taylor's K-2006 (or K-2006C) kit
Published on August 25, 2011 by famousdavis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and accurate, June 7, 2011
This review is from: Taylor Technologies K-1005-6 Pool Test Kit, Residential Trouble-Shooter Pool & Spa Alkalinty/Bromine & Chlorine

While you're at it, ween yourself from all those pool chemicals.... all you really need to keep you pool sparkling clear, balanced and sanitized is 1)regular household bleach (6% liquid chlorine), 2) baking soda for total alkalinity (google the chemical name of your total alkalinity product and you'll be surprised to find out it's simply baking soda), 3) Prestone Driveway Heat (almost 100% calcium chloride aka Tums antacid haha) for calcium, and 4) muriatic acid from Home Depot for PH down.

I've owned a pool for 2 years now and those are the only chemicals I've ever used. Not 1 algae bloom and my filters can go forever between cleanings. Yes, liquid chlorine bleach requires that you actually test your pool a few times a week and physically add chlorine yourself, rather than throwing a chlorine puck in and wondering why you have to keep buying various pool products to fix "this problem and then that problem."

3.0 out of 5 stars A better choice: Taylor's K-2006 (or K-2006C) kit, August 25, 2011
QUICK SUMMARY: I bought this kit to be my "everyday" testing kit, but I found the imprecision of the chlorine reading to make this an unsatisfactory kit, especially when compared to the excellent Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 water testing kit (which I also own). A better choice is to buy the K-2006 kit (or K-2006C, which is the same as the K-2006 but with more of the reagents in the kit) for weekly testing, and a cheap OTO water kit (like the TAYLOR BASIC RESIDENTIAL SERIES OTO - HIGH TEST KIT) for daily testing. If all you have this kit, it's okay, but if you like precision results, this kit isn't for you.

Background: I use the Taylor K-2006 kit frequently, which uses a different way of testing water. Instead of matching water color to a color scale, the Taylor K-2006 (called a FAS-DPD kit, which identifies the type of chemicals used to test with) uses chemicals that turn water color from pink to clear (that's for the chlorine test). No color matching means greater accuracy, and the K-2006 kit works even if you're colorblind. With the K-2006 kit, I can tell with 0.5 ppm increments (and with +/- 1.0 ppm accuracy) what my pool chlorine level is. With this Taylor K-1005 kit, however, I can't achieve anywhere near the same precision. And for guys who like precision, that drives me crazy!

WHAT I LIKE

- All Taylor drop kits are high quality and well-regarded by people who know a ton more about pools & spas than I do.
- The other tests in this kit, like for Total Alkalinity or Acid Demand, are like the test reagents in the K-2006 kit
- The chlorine test is easier to perform than the chlorine test method in the K-2006 kit. Just add a few drops of reagents, swirl, then match colors
- This kit can measure chlorine levels with decent accuracy at fairly high chlorine levels

WHAT I DISLIKE

- The color scale for chlorine has scale readings that say, for example, "2-4" and "3-6". So if my chlorine has 4 ppm of chlorine, will it show-up at under the 2-4 reading, or the 3-6 reading?
- The range of values possible within one color scale is too broad if you're trying to maintain chlorine levels precisely. I try to keep my pool at 4 ppm during the day, so it drops down to 3 ppm by the next morning. This kit can't help me know what my chlorine levels are with precision, and in my pool, high chlorine levels could cause damage to pool equipment (my pool equipment manufacturer says chlorine levels that are consistently at 4 or higher can cause equipment damage).
- The CYA tube isn't integrated into the chlorine and pH test tubes; instead, it's a chintzy piece of plastic that could crack pretty easily

Conclusion: The Taylor K-2006 kit is so much nicer than this kit, why buy this one instead? Use the K-2006 kit for weekly testing, and another, cheap, OTO test kit for daily chlorine & pH testing.

5.0 out of 5 stars accurate and easy, November 23, 2010
Bought this to test my spa water. Way more test than I really need. I use bromine and the test does measure total bromine, but not free bromine as it does free Cl. PH is measured using simple acid/base indicator and includes acid and base drops to calculate acid/base demand and has charts to add the right amount of acid/base based on calculations.

I add that I am red/green colorblind and cannot read strips real well, but this kit does contain a water chamber with red shades. Although I am colorblind, I can differentiate the difference in shades and still yield an accurate result.

I would have been happy with a kit that just tested CL/BR, PH, and total Alk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Kit for the Price, March 18, 2013
This is Taylor's lite version of the K-2005 DPD Complete kit. As such it could make a good refill kit if the price is right. As a standalone kit however, I would recommend an FAS-DPD kit +OTO. Having used both Taylor's DPD and FAS-DPD kits, I feel the FAS-DPD test gives better precision. The best this comparitor will give is 0.5 ppm to 5ppm. With the FAS-DPD test, I am never in doubt. While you can water down your sample when testing high-range shock levels, I do not keep a ready supply of distilled water and my city water always has a significant chlorine residual. The FAS-DPD kit will allow you to measure the full range of chlorine values with confidence from 0.2 ppm to 20 ppm. All around I use a combination of daily OTO testing and weekly FAS-DPD testing.

If you are going to purchase this kit (or K-2005 or K-2006), I would also recommend purchasing an extra bottle of CYA reagent (R-0013-C) as the quantity that comes in the kit is only good for 6 tests. You're already paying for shipping the kit, the marginal shipping cost is negligble compared to ordering more in a couple months. While I don't test CYA often, when I do I usually test several days in a row to make sure the sample was representative. If you plan on testing CYA religously you may even consider ordering the 16 oz (R-0013-E), just keep in mind that the 16 oz bottle is not a dropper bottle. If you are concerned about the quality of the CYA tube, I've had mine for over a year and it still looks new. Just in case, I'll give the link for replacement below.

Products Listed in Review:
Taylor Cyanuric Acid .75 oz R-0013-A ~3 tests
Taylor Cyanuric Acid 2 oz R-0013-C ~8 tests
Taylor Cyanuric Acid 16 oz R-0013-E ~65 tests
(Keep in mind reagents should only be kept for one year)
Taylot K-2005 DPD Complete - The "complete" "full" version of this kit.
Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Complete - Weekly Testing and Troubleshooting. Best Overall.
Taylor K-1000 Basic OTO - Daily Testing or no chlorine suspected.
Taylor K-1003 OTO Troubleshooter - Best Beginner's Kit (negligble price difference from K-1000.)
Taylor 9197 7ml+7ml CYA Tube - Another reviewer thought it might break.

4.0 out of 5 stars more than enough, June 6, 2011
Test strips were not giving me accurate enough info for my spa. This kit gives me every test I might need, and a much more accurate reading. I also like the fact that Taylor is a big enough company that I will be able to find refills when I need them. My only complaint is that the plastic case is difficult to snap shut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tester., October 30, 2013
I bought this test kit after we had our pool re-plastered about 1 1/2 years ago. It is easy to use and tests for all the main elements of the water. I test the water about every 7 to 10 days and the test supplies are only about half used up. Taylor makes a good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars This kit does everything., July 9, 2013
I needed to test my cyanuric acid level and few kits have that level of testing capability. It is easy to use and accurate when compared to testing at pool store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my home Hot Tub, February 15, 2011
Exactly what I needed to keep a sharp eye on the chemicals in my hot tub. Use the test strips as well, but this will let you really dial in what the chemical composition of the water is. Had to switch from Bromine to Chlorine, so I wanted to make sure I had everything under tight control. This does the job perfectly. If you care about your hot tub water, this will let you do a complete job for your home hot tub.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does most tests you will ever need, July 3, 2014
perfect for most tests you will get at the store. I found I could not trust the stores testing my water. This perfect and so much cheaper than shops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent product, May 13, 2014
Easy to use and provides clear information on how to adjust water chemistry to have my swimming pool in optimal conditions.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›