5.0 out of 5 stars Happily recording cd's
Published on April 29, 2012 by Margot McEwen

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't measure up
Published on July 29, 2012 by Ralph B. Friedly

5.0 out of 5 stars Happily recording cd's, April 29, 2012
This review is from: Teac LP-R550USB CD Recorder with Cassette Turntable (Electronics)
Since I received my Teac LP-R550USB CD recorder, I have played the lp's, cassette tapes cd's and radio to make sure everything was working. Then I recorded one of my lp vinyl records to a CD and was very pleased with the result. My next step was to record a cassette tape to a CD and again I was pleased with the outcome. The directions are easy to follow and I am happy with my purchase which is enabling me to record to cd's some of my records and tapes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teac LP-R550USB CD recorder, June 12, 2012
After considering less expensive USB turntables I decided to give this unit a chance since it also allowed me to record from other sources including cassette, AM/FM and auxiliary source. My wife still has a lot of cassettes and our album collection has been sitting in a closet collecting dust for many years so I thought this would be a good opportunity to digitize our collection of old music. The unit is well built and sounds surprisingly good for the low wattage speakers. It has auxiliary speaker outlets which can be used to feed into another amplifier or an extra set of speakers. I was a little skeptical about the ability of the unit to properly increment the track number between songs on an album but it works surprisingly well and offers 3 different noise settings that trigger the track to increment. I found that the -40 db setting works best for albums. It is not perfect but since I am still learning how best to use the unit I may have had it on another setting, reading the display to determine which features are active is a learning experience so some practice is required. There is also a manual option for incrementing the track number but requires you to be there at the end of each song. There was no software included for recording your source to the computer so you will need to find a decent program to perform this. I tried Audacity since it was free and it works fairly well but have not found any software that will auto increment file name at the end of each song. If anyone has a suggestion of a recording software does this let me know. Lastly, you can record both to a CD and the computer source at the same time which helps save time. Overall a very nice piece of equipment that I am very happy to have purchased!

5.0 out of 5 stars IT'S EASY!, June 5, 2012
The LP-R550 lives up to the advertising regarding ease of use. I've recorded some 20 albums onto CD over the past few weeks with no issues at all. I also recorded a prized 24 year old Linda Williams cassette from the tape unit and that process went smoothly. The PAUSE feature on the recorder comes in handy when flipping over a record or cassette tape. The tone arm has the appearance of being flimsy or sensitive but operates quite well.

I tried recording directly into my computer a few years using an AT-PL50 turntable and Cakewalk software and it didn't go well. Although the method of recording to CDs and then ripping them into Windows Media Player may seem tedious, with the TEAC recorder it is more foolproof. The equipment is solidly built and to my ears the speakers are plenty adequate. I highly recommend the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use - meets my needs, November 12, 2012
I purchased this Teac all-in-one system because I needed the space my 30 year old stereo four piece system (plus two HUGE speakers) was taking up. I've had the unit for two weeks and I am pleased with it. I have burned CDs from records and have played records, tapes and CDs and listened to the radio. I haven't yet used it with the computer or recorded from a tape. There are things I already miss about my old system (the recording dual tape deck, for example,) but I enjoy having the huge speakers out of my living room and being able to use my antique cupboard for storage rather than media.

The sound quality when playing records is quite good - better than I expected. The tape player worked smoothly. I do wish I could record onto cassettes because I still have a cassette player in my ancient car and can't see putting a CD player in a car so old. Nevertheless, I would buy this again. It is very easy to record onto CDs. The directions are simple. At first I didn't realize you could stop the recording, flip the record over and put the B side on the same disc as the A side. I think that was a problem with my reading skills rather than the clarity of the directions. Finalizing the disc is simple and enables the CD to be played on other CD players. Be sure to buy CD-R, not RW discs. If you have RW discs, they can only be played on this system.

One of the all-in-ones in an antique looking cabinet would have looked nicer with the furniture in my house, but after listening to two or three of those systems that friends own, I decided I would rather buy something with better sound quality. I think I made the right decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping it easy, July 1, 2012
I received my TEAC unit a couple days ago and after reading, what was a very user-friendly instruction booklet, I checked out the sound quality for each of the audio units contained in the 550. Sound quality is very respectable for the size of the speakers in the unit. I have just completed some recording and I must say this is as easy as the description and reviews advertised. I had no problems at all transferring music from both vinyl and cassette to CD and finalizing the CD. TEAC is "keeping it easy" for us baby boomers to transfer our music to CD so those tunes are preserved for years to come. Thanks, TEAC.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't measure up, July 29, 2012
While this unit has all the necessary controls to successfully transfer LP's and cassettes to CD, the turntable did not perform satisfactorily, especially with classical music containing sustained notes and chords, where some wavering of the tone occurred. If it had a better turnable, it would be an ideal addition to my stereo music equipment. Also, the stylus did not seem to be of high quality. Even though I ordered replacement styli, and used them, the sound quality was never what I was seeking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superior CD recorder by Teac, August 7, 2012
Out of the box and within 30 minutes this recorder was transferring a vinyl album to a Compact Disc. The instructions are very intelligent and easy to understand. This machine performs flawlessly in any of the several modes available. It's also a very attractive unit compared to the clunky machines out there for sale. I would recommend this very highly. It's worth the extra expense too! There's just no beating this machine for looks, performance, and results. A+

4.0 out of 5 stars TEAC CD Recorder with Cassette + Turntable, August 26, 2012
Just as billed: CD recorder/player, cassette player, turntable. All work well; solid quality; very easy set-up and operation. I find volume could add some decibels at max; otherwise, a phenomenal machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars CD Sound Quality is Impressive, June 4, 2013
This unit is very easy to use and works well. I can usually record two whole vinyl albums onto one CD and the digital recording sounds far better than the original. I am slowly transferring my record album collection onto CDs and then I'll deal with the cassettes. I can only think of three negative items with this product: firstly, you have to be prepared to hang around in one place for hours on end while you record your records, as each CD will record about 80 minutes of music and you really can't leave the macine for more than 15 minutes or the album will finish; secondly, for some reason you have to remember to go through the process of "finalizing" the CD each time, ortherwise another CD player is unable to read the CD, and lastly, on occasion the turntable motor runs slightly below 33 & a third RPM, which you can definitely hear on the CD. At first I thought I was hearing things, but on average it will run slow (for about 3 seconds) maybe four or five times on each CD. Generally speaking, this is a good quality product and reasonably priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, October 28, 2012
I did a lot of research before I bought this. My mom loved music as do I and I always wanted to convert her old lp's to cds for her long story short she got sick all of a sudden pasted away and now I am converting them over I have done some cassette's as well and so far I am very pleased its fun listening to the oldies and songs from my teenage years I only wish I could have done this for her. I will be making copies of her music for my siblings for christmas I think it will make a great gift for them. For the price it did a great job I am not disapointed yet in the quality I'm sure there are better for more money but it puts out great sound some popping on the records that are a little more worn but lets face it some times the old sounds are ok. NO complaints about it yet.

Teac LP-R550USB CD Recorder with Cassette Turntable
$499.99 $349.99
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.