Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How To Teach Your Dyslexic Child To Read: A Proven Method for Parents and Teachers
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on July 7, 1998
As a parent of a dyslexic child, I've read most of the recommended books on the subject. Of all of them, this is the first one I would recommend to parents who have realized that their child is dyslexic.
The author presents most of the classical techniques in dealing with the dyslexic learning style in an exceptionally clear, concise, and very human style. She uses as a vehicle to do this her own experience in teaching dyslexic children and young adults. After using these techniques with my own daughter, I can say that many are quite helpful.
In the course of describing the learning-to-read process with dyslexic kids, the author also brings some practical thinking to the "phonics vs. whole-word" reading debate. She explains the necessity of phonics for word-attack skills in non-intuitive readers as well as the ultimate necessity of whole-word reading in order to establish fluency and comprehension.
At the end of the book she provides most-used word-lists, phonics charts, writing charts, and pictures. She tells you how to use these materials in applying the techniques previously described.
This book is not revolutionary nor does it promise a panacea for all the issues surrounding the dyslexic learning style. But, I recommend that you make it your first of several on this complex subject.
on March 31, 2004
I think this book was originally called "How to Teach Your Child to Read" (or, probably, "How I, Bernice Baumer the Great, Taught Your Poor Neglected Child to Read"). The "information" consists of a number of chapters that read like testimonials to her "method." The method, once revealed, has little or nothing to do with Orton-Gillingham, Wilson, or any other MSL technique. The method could in fact be very damaging to children who actually do have dyslexia. The author's attitude could be very damaging to parental confidence, since the author doesn't seem to recognise that dyslexia is any different from a "slow" reader, and posits that dyslexia can be cured in a few "simple" steps. As any parent of a dyslexic child knows, dyslexia is a lifelong disability that can be corrected and dealt with to some extent, but that will never be "cured" or go away entirely.
(...)
22 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 1998
The book describes "how to" approaches to work with a dyslexic child at home. What the author suggests does not conflict with methodology that might be used in the classroom, but rather it complements any specialized, commercialized multisensory approach used at school. When parents of actual elementary dyslexic students viewed the book, they could actually understand what the author suggested doing. Various activities suggested by the author could be prepared and conducted by parents in a few minutes per day. It's a book well worth reading, by both teachers and parents of dyslexic students.
on April 29, 2002
I am tutoring a 7th grader, apparently dyslexic, who has never been taught how to read or given any individual help. At the beginning I was clueless how to improve his reading skills, and was puzzled by the many mistakes he made in decoding. After receiving this book in the mail, I began to understand his problems better, and better yet - how to remedy them! He has since passed his required state reading test (3rd grade level) and is reading in most cases at a 4th grade level, a jump of 4 grades since November. Many thanks to the author, and Amazon for giving me the opportunity to buy it used from the Marketplace, which is the only way I could afford it.
on February 5, 2013
I am a teacher and need this text to enlighten me on the subject of dyslexia. I must be well informed and chose this text to impart the knowledge I gained to the parents on this child who is under my care during the day.
on March 10, 2007
We used this book for our book club. It had practical ideas and was the guide for creating a simple information booklet to help parents work with their children.
on May 20, 2013
This is really a good book!I want it to inform myself about my son Dyslexia and this book not only did hat it gave me so many tools to work with him.I gave this book to his teacher to read so that we can be one the same page. It is working I can see my son improving .
on August 1, 2014