4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, helpful and quite realistic, February 22, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Teach Yourself Arabic (Teach Yourself Complete Courses) (Paperback)
This book is a much improved version than the previous edition, which I also worked through over less than one year ago. I was surprised to find that the layout was completely different now and that the method was more focused on daily topics and relevant vocabulary for more trivial matters than just literature, history or religion. The author is obviously very focused himself on the Mashrek, the eastern part of the Arab world, but still, I found it a very useful tool which enabled me to really speak and understand Arabic a few days after my arrival in Arabia, which happened last summer. Having learnt Arabic only with Teach Yourself Books and tapes for roughly over one year, the teaching staff at the Arabic language academy I attended there for one month were very surprised I had jumped straight into the lower intermidiate level (I believe my fluency in Hebrew helped, though). I would advise to go through Teach Yourself Beginner's Arabic Script either before going through this very book to get to grips with written shorthand, which is very different to printed script, and it helps you to write the language- maybe the only important point omitted by this practical book. In this way, you will be able to take down notes or copy dialogues and do the exercises, which would be rather awkward otherwise.
It's a very good buy, if you commit yourself to taking a slow, perseverant pace in learning and revise chapters already learnt at least twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, April 18, 2006
The book and audio teaches the student to speak and read the Arabic language at his or her own pace. The only complaint I have is that there is not much emphasis on grammar. Still, great vocabulary builder. By the time I finished, I could read and speak conversational Arabic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than the Title Suggests, March 18, 2005
zift (Molokai, Hawaii, United States) - See all my reviews
Teach Yourself Arabic" sounds like a hokey tourist phrase book or something. Indeed, the "Teach Yourself" series varies a lot, some of the languages are poorly treated, some better. This one is a gem. It is not trivial tourist phrases, but actually goes into grammar, provides good reading comprehension exercises and a fairly well-developed vocabulary. Includes some very useful points like word shapes, a key tool for learning Arabic with its root and measure system. If you are studying Arabic in school, this makes a great supplement. Some of the confusion in textbooks is cleared up here. You need a seperate book to learn the Arabic script, and Awde's "The Arabic Alphabet" is the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much improved 2nd edition!, January 22, 2003
C-Four-P-O (Southeast Asia) - See all my reviews
As a fan of the Teach Yourself series, I was disappointed with the 1992 version of this course. The text followed an awkward path; surprisingly un-conversational relative to other TY courses, and the recordings were simply uninspiring.
I picked-up the 2002 edition a couple of months ago and have found a much improved, completely re-written text featuring quick, relevant dialogues, a better print layout, adequate explanations of usage particulars, and more lively audio recordings.
Arabic is not an easy language to learn without extensive audio recordings. Unfortunately, the Pimsleur series has yet to produce a decent standard Arabic course. I recommend Rosetta Stone or Transparent Language Arabic software, but if these are not available to you as learning resources, this edition of Teach Yourself Arabic seems adequate for the more-convenient book & cassette approach.

Teach Yourself Arabic (Teach Yourself Complete Courses)
Teach Yourself Arabic (Teach Yourself Complete Courses) by Frances Altorfer (Paperback - Feb. 2002)
Used & New from: $0.99