Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: DVDChange

on June 26, 2011
A reluctant teacher loses her wealthy fiancé' and thus has to return to the job she hates. Desiring breast implants, she pursues the bonus awarded to the teacher whose class has the highest test scores. Along the way she is pursed by a gym teacher, tries to connect with a rich substitute, and finds a rival in a fellow teacher, the funniest and most well-developed character in the film. This is a movie that I found funny and refreshing, in that it is not laced with vulgarities and profanity throughout. This is a movie that provides laughs while not seeking the lowest common denominator. A pleasant surprise.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2011
I absolutely loved this movie! I did not have high expectations going in as the last couple of comedies I've seen were full of bathroom and vulgar humor combined with hysterical outbursts which seems to be the trend in comedies these days. But I found "Bad Teacher" to be quite refreshing in that respect. I'm surprised at how many people find this movie to be degrading to women and teachers - as a woman and a former teacher myself I really enjoyed it and did not find it offensive one bit. I would highly recommend this movie!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon July 11, 2011
I had fun watching "Bad Teacher." It's not a great film by any means, and I don't plan on repeated viewings, but it was enjoyable to watch once.

What's interesting about the film is that it's about a character that is completely morally reprehensible, and yet still comes across as likable. Much of this probably has to do with Cameron Diaz, who is just such a likable actress. She's a beautiful woman with a knockout figure and a mega-watt smile, and yet she's so goofy and willing to make fun of herself that even when she's playing nasty characters it's hard not to find her charming.

And boy is this character nasty. She's greedy, she's lazy, and she's selfish. She lies, she steals, she manipulates. What's also interesting is that the storyline of the repugnant central character, Elizabeth, does not fall into either of the two clichés that you'd expect from a Hollywood film:

1) She does not end up finding herself inspired by the children and discover a love of teaching, revealing a heart of gold hidden beneath her prickly exterior.

2) She does not find herself getting her comeuppance for being such an awful human being.

If anything, the characters in the film who are depicted as truly pathetic are Elizabeth's sincere, hardworking fellow teachers. Is this a dubious message? Perhaps. But the performers are all so funny and likable (Lucy Punch and Justin Timberlake are both hilarious) that they manage to make up for the film's many flaws.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2011
BAD TEACHER is a mixed bag. [Possible SPOILERS AHEAD]

It features a talented cast, particularly the always-deft Cameron Diaz, that certainly know how to play comedy, and it contains several laugh-out-loud moments, but the film is, ultimately, defeated by its very premise.

There is not one likable character in the entire film.

Diaz plays Elizabeth Halsey, a ruthless, wildly inappropriate middle school teacher who doesn't give a damn about her students or colleagues, and "teaches" by showing her class movies while she sleeps off the previous night's drunk.

Why wasn't this woman was fired months ago?

After her wealthy fiancé and his mother dump her, Elizabeth is out to snag another rich husband and she sets her sights on a new substitute teacher (Justin Timberlake) who comes from money. Unfortunately for her, Justin is more attracted to Elizabeth's chief rival (Lucy Punch), a triangle that leads to a "war" between the two women...neither of which we, as an audience, are rooting for.

Certainly there are moments in this picture that one cannot help but laugh at Elizabeth's outrageous remarks, but these awkward laughs are akin to the somewhat incredulous guffaws we give Larry David and his inappropriate actions on CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM.

Elizabeth may "soften" late in the picture, but she certainly doesn't change and nothing in the screenplay by Gene Stupnitsky & Lee Eisenberg really justifies her "winning" at the film's end.

Phyllis Smith, John Michael Higgins and Jason Segel co-star in the movie, directed by Jake Kasdan.

Extras on the DVD, which contains both the theatrical and unrated versions of the movie, include deleted scenes, outtakes and two "Behind the Scenes" featurettes.

From Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

© Michael B. Druxman
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I really, really wanted to like this film - even a little bit - as I paid top dollar to see it in the theater, but it was so 'bad' that I felt compelled to warn off others. "Bad Teacher" is simply one of those films that could have been better, but because it was so bad, it would be tough to know where to start fixing it.

Cameron Diaz plays a character with no depth (not surprising or even a negative for this genre of films...), no like-ability and yes, she's a bad teacher too - thus the name of the film. Supporting cast including Justin Timberlake as a cute, rich, but nerdy co-teacher, are good enough, but you keep hoping for better and never get it. The story too is so simple, it really doesn't allow any of the characters to be built into much more than sketches of ideas versus characters you want to either loathe or cheer for in the end.

One scene where Diaz's character redeems herself is cute, but the film neither offered up enough of those moments or really funny ones to make this viewer even slightly happy. I stuck it out and watched the whole thing, but while a fan of stupid comedies and the actors in the film, if this was the only choice I had for something to watch - I'd read a book.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2013
When "Animal House" (1978) and "Porky's" (1982) burst onto the cinematic scene, they ushered in the new genre of the R-rated comedy, a style of film so narrow that attempting to release an entertaining movie can be as challenging as a perfect score on the SAT's. Unfortunately, "Bad Teacher" barely achieves a passing grade.

The film is cast well: Cameron Diaz plays Elizabeth Halsey, a golddigger who decides that teaching is an easy way to bide her time (summers off, supposedly short work days) while searching for a rich man to support her extravagant habits for the rest of her life. She meets Justin Timberlake, who plays a rich school substitute that Diaz believes to fit her bill, but only after she can purchase breast implants. With her sights set on her male conquest, she moves in for the kill, in competition with a nauseatingly over-enthusiastic colleague, played to the hilt by "Dinner for Schmucks'" Lucy Punch, who provides ample perseverance for Timberlake's affection.

Though the actors understand their comedy, the plot is mundane. That Diaz distorts going through the motions of responsibility within the school community (chaperoning a car wash dressed in Daisy Dukes, scheming to cheat on a standardized test to acquire the school bonus for the top score) to acquire the funds for her surgery comes across as ridiculous and makes one want to expel her for the remainder of the school year. By the time she realizes the predictable error of her ways, we don't care. Only Jason Segel, as the gym teacher who sees through the transparent façade of Diaz's schemes, appears as a likeable character within this dimwitted academic institution. Give "Bad Teacher" a C-; it doesn't fail, but you won't consult it for any help with your homework.
on October 7, 2011
SO, I have seen plenty of movies and even the worst ones have some redeeming values...but not this one! This is above and beyond the WORST movie I have ever seen! Surprising too, because based on the cast, I was expecting this movie to be a lot better. The story is terribly written, really trashy and the acting is not much better. To be honest, I am not a prude(I mean Caddyshack is my fav movie of all time), but to me, this movie was vulgar in a way that was not even funny.

The only actors who made this movie watchable were Jason Segel and Lucy Punch who actually delivered some funny lines. I was so happy once this movie was over, that I did not have to watch one more second of it. If you like comedy and good movies, you're gonna be sorely disappointed by this stinker!
on April 6, 2012
This movie isn't worth the first notion of putting this non-story on cellulose.
The time is worth far too much to spend on this movie mistake.
It will be hard to view another Carmen Diaz the same after seeing this bomb.
This movie was so bad that I couldn't even give it a whole twenty minutes before turning it off and watching Sharktopus on the SyFy channel. Hey, at least Sharktopus was a real comedy. Wasn't it?
If you want to break up with your girlfriend, take her to see this movie, get up to go to the restroom, and leave. This movie has even less class than that.
Recommendation: Make yourself some popcorn, share it with your girlfriend, and watch Sharktopus instead.
on October 21, 2011
If I could give this .01 of a star, I would. This was by far one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The characters had no personality, the story line had no point, the ending made no sense, skipping from one thing to another and I found it so boring I actually fell asleep about 45 minutes in. Cameron Diaz's character was so vulgar and such a B&$%# I found myself wanting to punch her in what seemed to be this movies center of attention,(her chest). Don't let the all star cast fool you. This isn't the product of bad acting, but bad writing. Very bad writing. This possibly could have been a good movie with a little more effort from the writer and director. Instead it just turned out to be 97 minutes of my life that I will never get back. The only character who actually got a smile out of me was Jason Segel's,(the gym teacher), but in the end it was just that, a smile. Huge disappointment...I'm really peeved I spent money on this.
on May 20, 2012
BAD TEACHER (2011) Directed by Jake Kasdan.

Starring Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake.

An amoral golddigging drug taking woman takes a job as a middle school teacher where she causes general havoc and destroys the life of a fellow teacher before living happily ever after.

A comedy?
Crude. Obscene. Nihilistic. Unpleasant. There was not one moment where I found this an even moderately pleasant viewing experience. I have no idea what the intentions of the filmmakers were. I have no idea just who this thing was intended for. Consequently I can offer no critique of it. It is simply foreign to my experience.