Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 10, 2001
I think this book is very funny. In this story the little boy thinks the teachers stays at school all the time. The little boy thinks that the librarian reads to the teachers before they go to bed at night. He thinks the cafeteria ladies cook dinner for the teachers. He thinks the gym teacher makes them do exercises. He thinks the music teacher makes the teachers dance. He also thinks the art teacher makes them draw pictures. On one weekend he sees the teacher roller blading with a strange man and a little girl that looks just like his teacher. So he realizes that his teacher goes home at night. But what about the others!!
on December 28, 2012
This is a great book to use to inspire writing in students. There are lots of great ideas using this book on Pinterest, Teachers Pay Teachers, and TeachersNotebook.
on February 22, 2013
considering it was out of stock and then was selling for hundreds of dollars on websites, I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it. I did use it for a writing exercise and the kids seemed to enjoy the assignment.
on August 4, 2012
"My Teacher's Secret Life" is an amusing tale about what a student thinks his teacher does after school hours. Thinking his teacher, Mrs. Quirk, resides at school (as all teachers do, of course), the main character imagines how Mrs. Quirk and the other teachers spend the hours when they're not teaching: trash patrols conducted by Mr. Crumple the custodian, exercising led by Miss Whistle the P.E. teacher, and listening to stories read aloud by the librarian, Mr. Peruse. Teachers' meals are made from cafeteria leftovers, staff have pillow fights, and pajamas and inflatable bedding are secretly stored in the locked bottom drawer of each teacher's desk! The main character's imaginings are challenged though when he begins seeing Mrs. Quirk doing everyday activities around the community. In the end though, he wonders if the other teachers will become suspicious of Mrs. Quirk's "secret" life away from school.

This is an engaging story that is sure to delight any elementary school-aged child with a good imagination. It would also be a wonderful springboard for an imaginative writing activity about what certain people (e.g. teachers, firefighters, grocery store clerks) do when they're not officially on-duty. I cannot wait to share this book with my third graders!
on December 28, 2012
It is a cute story through an imaginative child's eyes that attempts to answer the question of what do teacher's do after the kid's all leave. This can easily be used to introduce a writing prompt, "Mrs./Mr. (Fill in the Blank)'s Secret Life". The story is a bit more "childish" than I expected for my 5th grade classroom, but I still think it will be a great hook to get them ready for their next writing assignment. :)
on June 11, 2013
I use this book as a mentor text for a writing assignment and you'd be amazed at where it leads kids' minds! One of their favorite assignments!
on July 30, 2013
I would have made it more interesting. It was kinda boring. I imagined the book would have been more inthralling from a child's prospective and included more real-life details of daily life of a teacher outside of school. When my students see me at the supermarket, department store or especially a home improvement store or the movie theatre or ball game, they almost don't recognize me in my warm ups or ball cap or sunglasses and.the look on their faces tells it all. It seems as if they are amazed I have a life outside of the school speech therapy office. This book was a bit disappointing.
on May 5, 2013
I used this book at the basis for a writing project for my 5th grade English Language Arts class. The kids loved creating ideas about their teacher's secret life.
on February 8, 2014
This book is great to keep in a sub tub for emergency days off. A sub could read the story and brainstorm why the teacher is gone. Then the students could write about the teacher's secret life. High interest activity, and fun to share and read.
on December 23, 2012
I bought this book as a writing exercise for my students at school. I read the book, then had the students write about my secret life.