Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 4, 2012
I'm planning to teach English as a foreign language and this was my first choice as a primer. It's complete and contains a vast amount of information, all of which is relevant. It is well-organised and clearly written by a master of her craft. What surprised me was that there was so much on the business of teaching students of all ranges of ability. There is a lot of treatment of the teaching of grammar as well, and these parts are quite intense. Actually, I learned a lot about my own languages; for example, I didn't realise that there are twelve tenses (plus four conditional moods) in English! My only criticism was that, when referring to tenses, the writer spoke of the 'past perfect simple' tense, which confused me because it is clear that the simple and perfect are separate tenses. In addition, the process of converting it to Kindle format has lost some of the footnote and sideline layout but that's not really important. Those points aside, it contains links to good and useful resources and I found this book easy to read and will keep it as a basic reference.
on July 15, 2012
This book is well organized, well-written and simple enough without being condescending. It is definitely for TOTAL newbies in the field of ESL, those that don't even know what country they wish to teach in. It has details of several of the different ESL countries, but also goes in depth on classroom management and techniques for teaching reading-writing-listening-speaking. Overall a great intro for beginning teachers.
on April 29, 2013
I bought this for my daughter who is teaching English in Spain. She said even though she had certification she was still very glad to have it and that she uses it all the time with her students.
on February 7, 2014
I bought this book because I work with someone who wanted to learn English better. I offered to teach him, but cautioned him by stating, "Look, I'm not a teacher, but I'll do my best to help you." The biggest challenge is explaining the atrocity known as written English... But this book does a fabulous job in giving some direction on where to start, and where to take it.
on January 5, 2013
This format is very easy to follow. The activities work for groups or individuals. It includes other resources to use.
Michelle Maxom has clearly made a career out of teaching English as a foreign language, and it shows. She knows her stuff, both grammar-wise and in terms of real-life classroom situations. This book offers great introduction to every aspect of teaching foreign-language English students. It's a more difficult process than most novice teachers assume it will be, going from speaking English confidently as a native speaker to be able to teach it effectively, and Maxom will hold your hand and guide you throughout the journey.

I found some of the book's confident British-isms offputting; can't think of an example right off, but much of the English that she tells you how to teach is, well, rather English. :-)
Additionally, I found the book to be poorly edited and full of typos here and there which distracted me from the quality of its core message. I realize it's not "Copy Editing for Dummies," but I think the publisher could have put a few more hours' effort in and come away with a higher-quality book overall.
Still, that doesn't stop me from heartily recommending this simple, approachable book, yet another wonderful entry in the perennially-favourite Dummies series.
on August 26, 2012
This is a nice to have resource book. The book was written for first time teachers of the English as second language learner. Regular classroom teachers will find this resource of value when they see those eager second language learners in their classrooms.
on April 4, 2013
No surprises, great book, arrived on time, good content. Would recommend for anyone doing a TESOL course or similar. Cheers!
on August 20, 2013
This is a user friendly book for just beginning ESL teachers. I've taught overseas for a few years already and was looking for some suggestions on teaching ESL in America. I had to go in a few chapters before this book could really appeal to what I was looking for; which were suggestions and class activities/discussion topics and such.
on February 9, 2013
Teaching English as a Foreign Language For Dummies. Good information and instruction in the book; easy to understand; applicable information in the book.