Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Teaching Pronunciation: A Reference for Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on July 10, 1999
This is the best introduction to pronunciation for ESL teachers. It achieves a rare balance between theory and practice, and has enough class-ready material that it also serves as a good source book. Additionally, the references are as complete an introduction to the literature as one could hope for. This volume is really a goldmine for ESL instructors (I know, I am one!)
on August 9, 2000
I thought this book was fantastic!!! It has clear explanations of the sometimes complex and confusing facets of English pronunciation. It gives a lot of ideas on how to present phonology in an interesting, communicative, and meaningful way. It is one of the best books in the ESL field that I have ever read. The 17 appendices included in the book are very useful. I commend the authors and highly recommend this book to any teacher of pronunciation.
on February 4, 2006
This book is full of excellent, research based ideas for teaching pronunciation. I have used this book many times to create lessons for students of all ages and abilities. This is an essential reference book!
on November 16, 2008
I bought this along with the authors' grammar reference, which has proven an expensive mistake. The two are college level texts and probably quite good for those engaged in intellectual pursuits. I, on the other hand, teach ESL as a volunteer and was simply looking to shore up my practical knowledge of the subjects. Both texts contain virtually no such information. In fact, they assume a significant knowledge of linguistics and linguistic theory; they are literally packed with obscure jargon that I presume familiar to some set of initiates but certainly far beyond my ken. If your situation is analogous to mine, I suggest Side by Side Spanish & English Grammar and Practice Makes Perfect English Pronouns and Prepositions--much less expensive ($30 the pair I think) and much more practical.
on January 14, 2013
As a teacher trainer, I found it challenging to help my trainees learn how to teach pronunciation to non-native speakers. This book was an excellent resource. Not only does it clearly explain things you need to know to help your students, but it also provides great practice activities.
on July 28, 2003
This cassette accompanying the book is really useful. It covers some important things that the book doesn't have space for. It can be guaranteed that after a thorough study of the book and the cassette one can be a much better ESL teacher or student. You probably won't regret buying them. You would love to have them on your bookshelf as references and resources for many years.
on July 5, 2009
I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed by this book.
During my undergraduate years as an English/TESOL student I was subjected to books that sold well but lacked depth and seemed to leave me wanting to know more. Graduate school to the MA level didn't help the matter any as the books increased in price but still left me feeling like there was more I needed to know.
Then, as an instructor, a fellow mentioned this book as a comprehensive curriculum for teaching oneself about the field of teaching pronunciation and I am impressed with the depth and scholarly form that invite me to do more research in order to investigate theories I am curious about. Thanks to the authors for such a useful self-teaching text.
on May 30, 2007
Accurate and easy guide for teachers or anyone who desires to understand, apply and explain phonetics. Simple tables and pictures for better comprehension. Includes NAE transcription key (consonants, stressed and unstressed vowels), and it even covers the history of teaching pronunciation in the first chapters.

Totally recomend!
on September 4, 2012
Why am I not surprised that there is much debate amongst researchers on how best to teach English pronunciation? And why so much argument about the best way to produce native-like speech when the author practically concedes that it is nearly impossible? I can't use this overlong overpriced book in my ESL class unless I threaten to hit students over the head with it when they use 'r' instead of 'l'.

I changed my review because the book has some teaching techniques. But here are still many flaws. It has a modified phonetic system which doesn't make sense, and it places too much emphasis on minor pronunciation details. There are better texts out there.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2001
this book is not only good for the ESL/EFL teachers but also good for the teachers who is teaching many other language..
if you want to know the theory and the practice of pronunciation I think this book is really helpful for you~