Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism or Asperger's, Revised and Expanded 2nd Edition
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on September 20, 2012
I did not get much out of this for my two high IQ Auties. It really focuses on the more severe symptoms of lower-functioning autism. But it is SOOOOOO good... Too bad I can't use much of it. I wish folks wouldn't lump these diagnoses together. So different. Different needs and symptoms. Still, this would be an INCREDIBLE resource for autistic kids.
22 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2013
One of the reasons I liked this book was that we received mixed input from friends and family regarding our son's diagnosis, especially since he was 4.5. This book indicated many examples of habits and behaviors that gave my husband and I 'ah-ha!' moments and it helped us feel less powerless to help our son. we knew that traditional ways of dealing with certain things did not work with our son and this book helped point out things that did.
on July 6, 2013
Hands down, the VERY best ASD resource book I've come across. Gives tons of practical, doable, doesn't-take-a-genius-to-figure-out solutions that instantly improve the lives of your child/student with an ASD. I wish someone would have given me this book at the very beginning of our family's journey.
on July 25, 2013
I have been researching books on Asperger's Syndrome due to a recent diagnosis within my family. There are so many books out there and it is so easy to think you can read them all - but if you have an Asperger's Syndrome child in your home - you do not have enough time to read a magazine - forget trying to read 30 or more books.

This book is laid out like a How-to book. The chapters are split up into tiny bits and the contents page is detailed so you can go right to the issue you really want to read about - at the moment! I had the paperback version from the library, but it is huge and heavy. I always have my Kindle available (a great distraction tool!) so I bought the Kindle version. I love it! Look it over with the Look Inside feature - you will see why I bought it...maybe you will buy it too! PS. This author has other books available - and she has not disappointed me in any of them!
on July 4, 2010
I think everyone should read this book so that they can understand the struggles that parents and children face. It has great ideas for teaching children with these conditions but a lot of the tips apply to people who deal with a child who has ADD or ADHD or just doesn't have the desire to learn. It's a big book but it doesn't take as long to read it as you would think.
on June 7, 2011
This is the best book on working with children with autism I have purchased. I have purchased several. The book is easy to read, filled with great ideas. I loaned it to the teacher next door, she kept it for a weekend then ordered her own. Truly worth having. It won't sit on the shelf.
on August 9, 2010
This book was very easy to read and had great ideas. Very teacher friendly and a good recommendation for others.
on April 8, 2014
I am a teacher of students with severe Autism. I have recommended this book to everyone I work with, and my student's parents. It explains many of the main areas affected by Autism, and gives dozens of ideas of how to target this area. Although only one chapter is dedicated to the education of students with Autism, I find many skills to target in my daily lessons from all the other chapters.
on October 27, 2015
Since this book was written, I think they've done away with the term "Asperger's". I'm pretty sure it's just called Autism Spectrum now.......reason being, there are various degrees of Autism.

This book is full of good tips and activities for helping kids. Some of these activities are more suited maybe to different levels of autism. Not only that, but personal interests too. There are lots of great ideas in here but they're maybe more suited to very young kids.

We originally bought this book (a couple years ago) to share with a friend that found some of these activities helpful for her son that has autism. (Kind of interesting that autism is more common in boys than in girls). We recently (in the last week) found out that our son has a slight degree of autism too. We had always seen him as being just very organized and structured but it's much more than that. (When he was little, he used to line his cars up according to year, make, and color. He had a set system. If any cars got out of order, that was especially challenging for him). Kids that have very mild degrees of autism often go undetected when they need help as well.

This book is full of great ideas and activities. There is something in here for everyone. It's not one of those books that will diagnose autism or degrees of autism. It's a book for what to do when it's already been diagnosed. I love that this addresses autism coming from a behavior modification approach.

It would be nice if there was a book like this for older kids and adults too. :-)
on June 3, 2011
1001 Great Ideas for Teaching Children with Autism is a great resource for anyone who's life is touched by Autism. I have not had the book for long. But I wrote down useful information for my son's IEP. I will be able to use this book for years to come as a resource.