Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 28, 2016
I never leave reviews, until today. I bought this book for activity ideas to do with my autistic preschooler while I'm homeschooling. But this book covers EVERYTHING. Communications, life skills, large motor activities, not just academic ideas. It's short, to the point, and gives great ideas. After feeling like I have bought and read just about every other book regarding autistic children, this is a MUST HAVE. Along with Mary Barbera's The Verbal Behavior Approach! Both of these books give great advice and practical ideas to deal with our challenges. Good luck and much love to all the other parents out there.
on June 21, 2016
Lots of practical, creative, quick, & easy ideas for parents, teachers, & providers who work with spectrum kiddos!
on June 10, 2016
Other books I have seen focus more on psychology and personal anecdotes (such as "The Explosive Child"); this one actually helps you know WHAT TO DO. It is easy to read, giving plain-spoken, useful strategies; sometimes mentioning them comprehensively in just one paragraph. It's helped me understand my 4-year old son and given me more empathy now that I have an idea of how he's processing what's happening. Dealing with autism is almost as hard on parents as their children, and we have to re-learn how function as well.
I disagree with another comment about this book not being useful for high-functioning kids. It is divided into sections such as sensory, behavior, etc., and it is very simple to skip around at your leisure to find what you need. It is a *spectrum*, with some kids having trouble with some things more than others, rather than simply "very autistic" or "a little autistic". For example, my son has supreme difficulty with transitions, feeding issues, and temper tantrums, but not sleeping problems or tactile sensory issues. This doesn't make him more or less autistic; it's just where he falls on the spectrum. It's worth having the book for whatever you specifically need. I'm very grateful to have found this resource, and will be passing it along to his preschool teacher.
on March 15, 2016
So helpful when what your doing isn't working anymore!
on January 9, 2016
Not really for parents. But it would be a wonderful tool for teachers/schools.
on January 6, 2016
GREAT READ AND GOOD INFO ALSO
on December 21, 2015
great value
on November 13, 2015
LOVE THIS BOOK
on October 27, 2015
Since this book was written, I think they've done away with the term "Asperger's". I'm pretty sure it's just called Autism Spectrum now.......reason being, there are various degrees of Autism.

This book is full of good tips and activities for helping kids. Some of these activities are more suited maybe to different levels of autism. Not only that, but personal interests too. There are lots of great ideas in here but they're maybe more suited to very young kids.

We originally bought this book (a couple years ago) to share with a friend that found some of these activities helpful for her son that has autism. (Kind of interesting that autism is more common in boys than in girls). We recently (in the last week) found out that our son has a slight degree of autism too. We had always seen him as being just very organized and structured but it's much more than that. (When he was little, he used to line his cars up according to year, make, and color. He had a set system. If any cars got out of order, that was especially challenging for him). Kids that have very mild degrees of autism often go undetected when they need help as well.

This book is full of great ideas and activities. There is something in here for everyone. It's not one of those books that will diagnose autism or degrees of autism. It's a book for what to do when it's already been diagnosed. I love that this addresses autism coming from a behavior modification approach.

It would be nice if there was a book like this for older kids and adults too. :-)
on September 25, 2015
A great resource for educators and parents