Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

on November 12, 2006
Overall I found this book to be well written, informative, and practical. The main text covers the same information as general education courses but applies it to the mathematics classroom. My only complaint with the text is that it proposes solutions to problems or situations and then says that the teacher must decide what is best for the class. Yes, every class is different and the teacher knows the needs of the students better than an author, but while reading the book, I felt that the authors didn't want to committ to deciding what the best practice would be.

The appendix of enrichment plans is the reason I am not reselling the book. It includes so many activities to try with all levels of math students that I feel the price of the book might well be justified.
on November 27, 2011
Teaching Secondary Mathematics: Techniques and Enrichment Units (8th Edition)

For my math pedagogy classes we use this Posamentier's Teaching Secondary Math and Van de Walle's Elementary and Middle School Math. I like Posamentier's much more. I could imagine the ideas of this book applied to honors math classes and the math oriented high schools. Posamentier uses a lot of Geometry examples in this book and they seem very useful for teaching geometry. I think there are a lot of challenging problems that are good for high school students: Erastothene's measuring the circumference of the earth, Gauss' arithmetic series. exploring triangle medians with Geometer, Birthday Probability Problem. Posamentier also uses the Graphing Calculator a lot with this book- model train distance problem, medication, compound interest. And yes, solutions and how to set up the problem on the Graphing Calculator are given. I don't remember, but I think Posamentier does include a fair amount of problems on how to use Excel to math problems like simple interest and probability.

Posamentier also provides math examples for motivating students: Tell a story, present a challenge, show the sequential knowledge, show a gap in student understanding. I feel that Posamentier knows his stuff, his tone in writing is concise and to the point.

The book doesn't include it, but I would like to have seen how Posamentier would exactly teach a high school math lesson.
Once again, there is a lot of geometry material presented in this book. I would have liked to have seen more trigonometry, there is a lack of examples on how to teach trig. I respect Posamentier, and I'm happy to have learned from his book.
on January 16, 2010
The book is a compilation of ideas and lists about effective teaching. I was unimpressed by some of the explanations by the author. He seems to be a little out of touch with what the curriculum and behavior management looks like in lower-income neighborhood schools. Easy reading because the book doesn't have much effective teaching inovation. I will not purchase another one of his books.
on July 8, 1999
This is an excelent text to use both in the college class room and everyday teaching. The text covers all developmental point of effective teaching. It puts to teacher in a positve position that makes you want to teach and students to learn. If you are looking to sharpen your skills in teaching Math, or any subject you need this text. If you follow it closely "IT WILL KEEP YOU OFF OF A PDP(Professional Development Plan)"
on March 23, 2014
Great textbook. Many great examples on how to keep students engaged and provoke their own learning. Not being a super creative person, this math specific book allowed me to see examples of strategies that I didn't quite get how to transfer it to math when someone gave me an easy English example.
on July 28, 2013
I took a course in my undergrad that's emphasis was on teaching Secondary Mathematics; however, didn't use much of the book. I ended up hating the class and used this book to supplement many of the things I felt the course lacked.
on January 2, 2014
I bought this book used so I did not expect it to be in such good condition. It looked brand new and was a reasonable price. Thanks!
on February 16, 2014
Most the things I found were useful. Sometimes it used more words than necessary. It is a good supplement to other resources.
on May 3, 2015