From the Back Cover
Volume Two of the Van de Walle Professional Mathematics Series provides practical guidance along with proven strategies for practicing teachers of grades 3 through 5. In addition to many of the popular topics and features from John Van de Walle’s market-leading textbook, Elementary and Middle School Mathematics, this volume offers brand-new material specifically written for these grades. The expanded grade-specific coverage and unique page design allow readers to quickly and easily locate information to implement in the classroom. Nearly 200 grade-appropriate activities are included. The student-centered, problem-based approach will help students develop real understanding and confidence in mathematics, making this series indispensable for teachers!
- Big Ideas provide clear and succinct explanations of the most critical concepts in 3—5 mathematics.
- Problem-based activities in Chapters 2—12 provide numerous engaging tasks to help students develop understanding.
- Assessment Notes illustrate how assessment can be an integral part of instruction and suggest practical assessment strategies.
- Expanded Lessons elaborate on one activity in each chapter, providing examples for creating step-by-step lesson plans for classroom implementation.
- A Companion Website (www.ablongman.com/vandewalleseries) provides access to more than 50 reproducible blackline masters to utilize in the classroom.
are provided in the appendix for teachers’ reference.
John Van de Walle is Professor Emeritus at Virginia Commonwealth University. He is a co-author of Scott Foresman—Addison Wesley Mathematics, a K-to-6 textbook series, and the author of Elementary and Middle School Mathematics: Teaching Developmentally, the best-selling text and resource book on which this professional series is based.
LouAnn Lovin is a former classroom teacher and is currently an assistant professor in mathematics education at James Madison University, where she teaches mathematics methods and mathematics content courses for Pre-K—8 prospective teachers and is involved in the mathematical professional development of teachers in grades 4—8.
Collect all three volumes in the Van de Walle Professional Mathematics Series! Each volume provides in-depth coverage at specific grade levels. Learn more about the series at www.abprofessionaled.com.
Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Volume One, Grades K—3
Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Volume Two, Grades 3—5
Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics: Volume Three, Grades 5—8