5.0 out of 5 stars Teaching Your Children Values
Published on October 26, 2000 by Jessica Nardine

3.0 out of 5 stars Values book
This book is a good reminder of what is important as we raise our children.
Published on July 18, 2010 by T. Lustig

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaching Your Children Values, October 26, 2000
This review is from: Teaching Your Children Values (Paperback)
Teaching Your Children Values by Linda and Richard Eyre is a practical guide that advises parents - and anyone working with children - how to teach values. Linda and Richard live in Salt Lake City, Utah where they co-host their own radio and TV programs dedicated to better parenting. Richard has served as Director of the White House Conference on Children and Parents. They have nine children. The book covers children from preschoolers to adolescents, and discusses twelve values they feel are key. Some of those values include: honesty, self-reliance, self discipline, respect and chastity. The Eyre's believe that parents should begin teaching values to their children very early on through the use of games. However, by the time children reach adolescence, they recommend that parents have open discussions of various situations to allow them to think about possible consequences. The Eyre's feel that teaching consequences is equally important, particularly in adolescents because in many cases, it may mean the difference between life and death. For example, adolescents should know what can happen if they smoke, or drink and drive or have unprotected sex. Although the Eyre's book focuses on the parenting aspect of teaching values, I found many of their suggestions and discussions useful for educators as well. While I agree that it is mainly the parents' responsibility to teach values, I also think that it is falling more and more on the shoulders of public education. Therefore, their suggestions for approaching values can be as valuable for teachers as it is for parents. I highly recommend this book for any person working with children.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy ways to teach your children essential values, March 11, 1999
This review is from: Teaching Your Children Values (Paperback)
My name is Jonah Eyre. I am the son of the authors of this excellent book and couldn't more highly recommend it. I grew up with these techniques being tested on me and I think that they really work. My parents are my best friends and that is what I think parenting is really about. Teach this stuff to your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, something that works, September 18, 2006
Heather Martin (The Republic of Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teaching Your Children Values (Paperback)
I've read lots of parenting books (over 50 or so) and this is my second favorite. My first is by the same authors, 3 Steps to a Strong Family.

This book contains information on how to teach values to your children. We've just started using it but are having excellent results already. My kids are happier and are grasping concepts they've struggled with in the past. There is a calmer feeling in our home as we all work together to master a certain value.

I appreciate the personal experiences the authors share and the writing style is easy to understand and very well organized.

My two 6-year-olds enjoy the games and stories. They do not have any problems with them as an earlier reviewer mentioned would happen.

I highly recommend this book, but suggest you read 3 Steps to a Strong Family first. These books work and will make your home such a happier, calmer place.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a MUST for every parent!, May 25, 1999
This review is from: Teaching Your Children Values (Paperback)
We've got a young family, but the topics within the pages of this book are phenominal for all age groups in your family. I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who is interested in teaching their children principles that will last them a lifetime. Making them good citizens in their communities! Hooray for the efforts of this couple. A sister of mine knew them and they are everything in person, behind closed door and in their community as they are in this book. It is nice to see someone REALLY practicing what they preach. Not only will it make you a better parent, but it will also help you become an improved spouse, friend and member of your community!

5.0 out of 5 stars A 12 month road map to teaching your children traditional values, April 22, 2008
This review is from: Teaching Your Children Values (Paperback)
Divided into 12 monthly teachable values this book gives "lesson plans" for preschoolers and elementary age children along with a story (sometimes two or more), guidelines for parents, simple games and disussions that further illustrate the topic for the child/ren over the course of a month and guidelines for encouraging praise throughout the month as children begin to exhibit or model the desired trait.

Although major Christian values are covered, Christian parents may notice that God is not directly mentioned as this book was written generic traditional moral values(with no biblical reference) but there is room for you to add your religious belief and doctrine although you will have to do the footwork yourself (look up scripture reference and incorporate God into the little stories).

Values are divided into two categories: values of being (who we are) and Values of Giving (what we do). They include:
honesty, courage, peaceability, self-reliance, discipline, fidelity/chastity, loyalty, respect, unselfishness, kindless, and justice and mercy.

The authors raised NINE children with these concepts. Creative parents will find it a great launching point for them to expand on monthly while EXHAUSTED parents will find it a wonderfully easy "road map" to use when instructing their children that requires virtually no advance preparation and is easy to execute.

Parents of preschoolers will find that the preschool activities while geared to the younger set are NOT dumbed down which may make it a fun activitity to do with older siblings as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Also useful for non-parents, January 29, 1999
This review is from: Teaching Your Children Values (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.I do not have children of my own yet, but I found this book to be useful and inspiring. Linda and Richard Eyre are the type of parents I hope to be someday, and meanwhile, I intend to do some 'self-parenting' by using this book. I grew up in the 'permissive 70's', and although my parents do have values that I admire, I wish that they had communicated how important these values would be in later life to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent guide for teaching children values, October 29, 2013
This review is from: Teaching Your Children Values (Paperback)
I checked this book out at the library after having it referenced multiple times in "My Two Moms" by Zach Wahls. I finally had to buy it. Mr. Wahls is an excellent example of a young person who's been raised with parents who utilized this book. That said, I actually thought this book might be too conservative for me--but it is not. I love the set up--talking about one value each month with your kids--the exercises are great--certain ones for each age--preschool age, elementary school age & then older kids. I have 4, 6 & 8 year olds--the conversations this book has helped me start with them are amazing. This will be a book we'll use year after year. WONDERFUL way to teach & reinforce positive values that will help guide children as they grow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars practical and applicable!, June 29, 2013
This review is from: Teaching Your Children Values (Paperback)
This book was a great find several years ago. I am replacing my original copy as I "loaned" it out. It is easy to read and has great examples of how to teach at different ages the values. I also like that it promotes active, conscious, positive teaching to instill great character in your children at any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Teaching Your Children Values (Paperback)
This book offers a straightforward and simple system to teach your children essential values. A must-have for all parents! The Eyre's have several wonderful parenting books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful parenting book, November 6, 2013
This review is from: Teaching Your Children Values (Paperback)
I love this books for its wonderful lessons. This subject is so lacking in our world today so it is great to have a little guidance for teaching my children.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Teaching Your Children Values
Teaching Your Children Values by Linda Eyre (Paperback - March 10, 1993)
$16.99 $12.69