5.0 out of 5 stars A Rich, Rewarding Tapestry of Sound

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not my favorite
Published on July 21, 2005 by Leigh Fitzpatrick

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rich, Rewarding Tapestry of Sound, August 9, 2000
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
This CD caught me by surprise, though I am a Chieftan Junkie. It is similar to "Long Black Veil," in that it features various artists in collaboration, but it really transcends anything they've done before. It has introduced me to some female artists with whom I was previously unfamiliar, such as Akiko Yano. Actually her cut reminds me more of the sixties song "Sukiyaki," (which I loved, by the way) than traditional Celtic music. Loreena McKennitt was also new to me, but she absolutely stops the show and delivers a dulcet-toned rendition of "Ye Rambling Boys of Pleasure," - extremely plaintive and gorgeous all-around. I have heard a lot about Sissel recently, but this was my first opportunity to hear her. Now I have some understanding of what all the Sissel fuss is about coming from Europe. I also have to differ with another reviewer and say that I was glad Joni Mitchell was represented on the album. I thought her contribution was very much in "tune" with the rest of the album. This is a particularly great CD to insert in the player at the end of an otherwise hectic day. Take wine glass or beer or other preferred beverage in hand and let your soul be gently borne by the gently lilting lyrics and melodies. You will find the perfect way to unwind.

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful mixture of the female voice and Celtic melody, June 12, 2002
Neal Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
This is a slow and soulful album. Don't expect a lot of jigs, reels, hornpipes and stuff...in fact, don't expect any. But do expect deeply moving and beautifully sung songs. There are lots of standouts here: Bonnie Raitt singing "A Stor Mo Chroi", Natalie Merchant singing "The Lowlands of Holland", Joni Mitchell's own song "The Magdalene Laundries", The Corrs "I Know My Love", Sinead O'Connor's "Factory Girl", Loreena Mc Kennitt's "Ye Rambling Boys of Pleasure", and Joan Osborne's "Raglan Road". However, these songs are low key, slow, and emotive, and so the long instrumental with Eileen Ivers and others, "The Fiddling Ladies" does come as a very welcome and upbeat relief. Also, the change of pace makes it easier to set the true ultimate song by itself, Diana Krall's exquisite rendition of "Danny Boy".
If you love the feminine voice and Celtic melody, this CD is a "must buy".

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, with a few great tracks, September 16, 1999
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
Not as consistently excellent as "The Long Black Veil", but buy this album for three great songs: "The Lowlands of Holland" (Natalie Merchant uses her beautiful voice with great subtlety), "I Know My Love" (The Corrs' version is irresistible; the lead vocal is reminiscent of Debbie Harry on some of Blondie's most upbeat songs), and "Raglan Road" (Joan Osborne's voice can break your heart, and it's just as devastating here as on the best songs from "Relish"). A CD with three great songs is better than one with twelve good ones! The rest of the album is fun to listen to, but not memorable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Celtic Spirit, May 6, 2000
Callie "chroi" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
I mainly got this album because it had Loreena McKennitt, Sissel, and Eileen Ivers, but I ended up really loving this whole album. Most of these songs were traditional Irish songs that expressed the Irish spirit so well. The lyrics were very touching and I was amzed by the wonderful voices of the guest vocalists. Anuna, The Corrs, Loreena McKennitt, Joan Osborne, Sissel, and even Sinead O'Conner and Diana Krall did a wonderful job at singing out the Irish soul. There also were very touching songs like "Factory Girl", "Deserted Soldier", "Raglan Road", and "Siuil A Run". The were sad songs like "Factory Girl" and "Siuil A Run" (which Clannad also did a good version of). There also were bright spirited tracks like "I Know My Love" and "Ye Ramblin BOys of Pleasure." Even the Japanese song, "Sake In The Jar", which was written and performed by Akiko Yano, had a Celtic touch and expressed the Celtic spirit. I didn't however think that Joni Mitchell's "Magdalene Laundies" fitted on this album because she did not have the Celtic voice and her lyrics were too mean-spirited. It didn't express the Irish feeling quite as much. The rest of the songs, however, were very good. Fans of Loreena McKennitt will really love her performance in "Ye Rambling Boys of Pleasure." There were however, some songs that were a little slow going, and long. I thought "The Fidiling Ladies" should of been made shorter. Nevertheless, it was a good track performed by several very good violinists. In the end,I must say this is a very well done Celtic album.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Endless Pleasure, February 17, 2000
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
I highly recommend this album -- with one exception, every song is a delight. Listen to the bitterness of the lyrics in Joanie Mitchell's "Magdalene Laundries," the longing in Bonnie Raitt's "A Stor Mo Chroi," the sadness of Joan Osborne's "Raglan Road." Even Diana Krall's "Danny Boy" gives me chills. The only song that doesn't do much for me is the "Sake in the Jar" song, which seems to go on forever . . .
I have listened to this album and "Santiago" many times. I guess as "concept albums," they might not please hardcore fans, but I find both absolutely pleasurable listening. "Tears of Stone" is one of my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful 13 Celtic Spirits, May 16, 2000
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
I bought this CD reading so many names of female singers I wanted to listen for a long time. Like Joan Osborne, not known so widely in Japan, it's a little risky to her solo album without knowing her vocal. As a result, I've found many female talents from this only one CD. you'll see if you buy one copy. I like Natalie Merchant, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Joan Osborne and Sissel (Diana Krall, Bonnie Raitt, Akiko Yano, Sinead O'Connor, I don't have to mention about them.) I was surprised their musics are so different, having very close flavor. Especially This CD made me decide to buy one album from Mary Chapin Carpenter. You'll find yur favorite, too. I'm very sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great product of Ireland's musical ambassadors, November 24, 1999
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
I liked the vast majority of the selections. The Yeats poem and the Corr's selection were the two I liked the most. The Chieftains have had better CD's, but this one was still worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not my favorite, July 21, 2005
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
I'll start off by saying that I dig the fact that these guys after performing for 40-odd years together are still looking for new ways to express themselves. They refuse to be a cliche or to stagnate. I just saw them here in Reno this past weekend and while it felt a little sad to not have Derek Bell and Martin Fay up there, they still played with great energy and passion. Those guys never mail it in......

Having said that, this one wasn't my favorite. I felt many of the tunes were a little slow and one-note. I just couldn't get passionate about their efforts here....it felt a little flat. The real spunk came from the Corrs who play a lively and fresh version of "I know my love" and "Sake in the jar" had real wit. "Never give all the heart" a song and word rendition of the Yeats poem was haunting. So I guess you could say some of the parts were truly brilliant (it's The Chieftains after all!) but "the whole" just never quite clicked for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album I've heard all year!, November 19, 1999
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
Such deep emotion, such a unique blending of styles.... Such innovation from a talented band of old guys. My only complaint is that they don't put out more albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are in the right mood for this, it is excellent..., April 11, 2003
William E. Adams (Midland, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tears Of Stone (Audio CD)
Not a typical Chieftains release, this is predominately made up of lovely sad songs from a variety of female vocalists. Everyone knows the Irish have a bittersweet history. This CD represents that aspect. For the most part, the singing and the playing on here are excellent. I don't find it depressing, but some other reviewers did. Read ten or 20 other opinions before buying it. I am glad I own it, but I only play it about once a year. However, on that day, for that particular hour, "Tears of Stone" blesses me. As to whether the beauty of it uplifts you, or the sad sweetness brings you down, probably depends on your personality and circumstances. While not the ideal choice for a person's first Chieftains album, it is far from the group's worst CD.

Tears Of Stone
Tears Of Stone by The Chieftains (Audio CD - 1999)