1,207 Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase for the money
Published on September 26, 2010 by John J. Mezzacappa

5.0 out of 5 stars Just pull the trigger, December 10, 2011
Scolfaro (Linz, Austria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable (Electronics)
Just got one of these shipped all the way to Austria, was worried for a couple of days that the voltage and cycle frequency difference would be a problem, but it's absolutely not so. In the meantime I exchanged emails with Audio Technica's service center and support, and got a prompt reply that it's a DC controlled unit, meaning that if it's not a 120V current where you live, a simple voltage converter is sufficient.

The sound just blew me away, I put the unit straight through a test of fire by running it into a professional audio interface with direct monitoring (no AD/DA conversion), and from that to a pair of active Genelec studio monitors. To top it all, I fed it "The Headhunters" by Herbie Hancock. All I can say is wow. Super clean, full sound from the preamp in the unit, very good signal to noise ratio (barely audible hissing and crackling between tracks, not really perceivable when there's any kind of music going on). Let's see if it runs this well over time, so far I'm very impressed. Five stars.

BTW, if you check out the negative comments, some are talking about "how short the RCA cables are", and some are talking about the unit's "low volume". That's just audio ignorance running high around here. It comes with a pair of cables with which you can make an extension in two seconds, and the "low-volume" is because it comes with the pre-amp turned off. All you need to do to solve this "problem" is use your fingers to flip a switch in the back of the unit to "line" instead of phono. And if you complain that "assembling" the unit is difficult (putting three pieces together before running it), you're just beyond hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Turntable At This Price, February 6, 2010
You really can't get a better turntable for this price. It wasn't broken or cracked when it arrived, it was easy to assemble, and it sounds great. For under 100 bucks that is more than I expected. The other cool thing about this turntable that is not in the description is that it's easily upgradeable. The turntable comes with a ATN3600L stylus. You can replace that stylus with the ATN3600DLX stylus for even better sound quality and performance. You can also get a better belt for it too but I haven't looked into that yet. It's not going to get any better than this until you hit about the $300 range.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great beginner's turntable with only a few flaws, July 10, 2013
The AT-LP60 is an excellent first turntable for anyone looking to get into vinyl and it's a decent replacement turntable for anyone looking to get BACK into vinyl. This is not an audiophile TT, nor is it appropriate for DJ use. It's about as simple as it gets, but that's part of what makes it appealing for the novice or the casual listener.

1) Setup

The setup involves plugging the TT into your receiver. That's it. Virtually every turntable requires you to balance the tonearm and set the anti-skating weight, but the LP60 comes ready to play right out of the box. It couldn't be easier.

2) Ease of use

It can be tricky for some people to cue records and lower the tonearm gracefully onto the LP surface, but that doesn't matter since this is an automatic TT. That is, you press a "start" button and the tonearm automatically moves into position and lowers itself. The "stop" button raises the tonearm and returns it.

If you want to cue a cut on the inside of the LP, there is an up-down button that raises the tone arm so you can move it manually to the correct position before lowering it again.

3) Sound

The sound is serviceable. For many folks, the difference between this TT and a more expensive model may be negligible. I bought this for my sister who doesn't have a lot of records, but wanted to experiment with the medium anyway. There is a general lack of detail when compared to more advanced Audio Technica models, and there is not nearly as much nuance as you get with something like a Pro-Ject or a Rega. Those are in a different class, but they're also at least three times as expensive.

The good news is that the LP60 really conveys that analogue essence - that indefinable element that continues to draw listeners to this ostensibly out-dated medium. It's not the sort of gear that will make you notice all sorts of details that you've been missing on CD all these years, but it does a good job of bringing your old records back to life allowing you to rediscover your music collection.

4) Build Quality

Everything about this TT feels somewhat cheap, but when you factor in the price, it's actually a good value. There are plenty of similarly-priced TTs that have inferior components or are

5) Pros

The price is great, especially when you factor in the built-in preamp. Because most receivers and preamps don't come with a phono preamp built in, most turntables require you to purchase a dedicated phono preamp to get a line level signal for your receiver. Without a phono preamp, the signal is too weak to simply plug into your receiver. Audio Technica includes one. It's not great, but it does the job.

The setup is as easy as can be, thereby making this a great choice for the vinyl novice. The build quality is better than most at this price range. Yes, everything is made of plastic (other than the platter), but it feels a lot more solid than similarly-priced TTs.

6) Cons

There is no way to adjust the anti-skate mechanism or the downward force applied by the tonearm, so if you have a record that skips occasionally, there's no way to compensate by increasing the downward force. I also bought my sister a new copy of Portishead's "Dummy" and we were both disappointed when the new record continually sent the needle flying out of its grooves.

7) Overall

This is a great piece of equipment at its price. A lot of vinyl novices end up spending five times this amount on a Pro-Ject Debut and a phono preamp, but the LP60 allows you to test the waters and see if you really want to get into vinyl. Yes, the Pro-Ject is superior in every dimension, but vinyl is an idiosyncratic medium full of quirks that may or may not appeal to any given listener. The LP60 is great for anyone who is curious, but not convinced about the joys of vinyl. If you have extra money, buy something more expensive. Otherwise, try the AT-LP60. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great turntable, great price!, October 9, 2010
I ordered this turntable so that I could (hopefully) listen to LPs I haven't been able to hear for the past 25+ years. (Old turntable broke; CDs were the "in" thing at the time, so I never replaced my old turntable). I'm not an audiophile as some are, plus I have hearing loss in one ear, so all I know is "Does it sound good?" Well, I can tell you that I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of sound that I heard from LPs that are old, and some not in the best of condition.

First, the set-up. I worried a bit about putting the belt on. (Did I also mention that I'm a klutz?) However, when the package arrived, I took everything out, read all the directions first, and within 2 minutes after that (that is not an exaggeration), I had the turntable set-up accomplished. It couldn't have been easier!

Initially, I hooked the turntable up to a pair of miniature speakers I bought for my iPod. I just wanted to make sure the records would play. I put the first album on the turntable, cleaned it with Discwasher cleaning kit, and pushed the Start button. I actually got tears in my eyes when I heard the LP play. Even with the miniature speakers, the music sounded pretty darn good. However, the miniature speakers do not have sound control, so I attached a pair of computer speakers (Altec). The music sounded even better. Today, I believe I'm going to bite the bullet and hook the turntable up to the stereo component (I still have one that has Phono input). I'm anxious to see what the music sounds like coming through a Bose speaker system.

Some reviewers commented on the short phono plugs that are permanently attached to the turntable. They are short, but 2 different types of extensions are shipped with the turntable, so I had no problem attaching my speakers, and I don't believe I'll have trouble when I attach the turntable to the stereo system.

I've only used this turntable one day (but I played albums for 4 hours last night!), so I can't comment on its longevity. However, based on what I experienced last night, I believe this turntable, especially for the price, is great. An FYI: This is the first review I've ever written for a product, so that says something about how I feel about this turntable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Little T'table, November 4, 2010
I had forgotten how good records sound. Before cd's came along, they were brought up to very high standards. With this t'table the sound comes across with good detail and range.

What else I like:

1. It sets up in a few minutes
2. It automatically lifts arm, places it on record, and put arm back on the arm rest when record is finished
3. It is simple and attractive. Understated class. Seems well built.
4. It has a dandy little dust cover
5. It comes with adapters, either male or female, for speakers or other inputs. I use computer speakers directly and sound was excellent.
6. It has both line out and phono out. I use line out for my speakers.
7. It has switches for 7 inch or lp sized records, and a speed for 45's, with adapter.
8. It was under 80 bucks, with Prime. Why pay 400?
9. Amazon shipped it in 3 days.

What I don't like: hmmmmm.....give me a minute.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good entry level turntable, June 27, 2010
Better looking than the equivalent Sony. Probably a better machine too. Definitely buy this over the USB version, you don't want to rely on some cheap-as-dirt on-board sound processor to convert the signal to digital. Buy the analog-only machine and just plug it into the microphone jack on your computer if you want to record the stuff. Audacity is free and handles analog input quite well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Sound, Really Impressed!, March 10, 2010
J. McAfee (ellwood city, pa United States) - See all my reviews
I needed to replace my year-old Sony so I was pretty discouraged when I started my search. I was pretty much settled on the Pioneer and was researching reviews on the net when I stumbled on the Audio Technica AT-PL60 reviews that were so positive. So I switched and researched the PL-60 and decided to buy. Don't let the low price scare you off! It Sounds way better than my Sony which cost three times as much. It took two minutes to set up to my system and my vinyl came to life again! Family, Love and the Electric Prunes never sounded so good! I would Highly agree with the other reviewers that this is the best turntable under $300!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase for the money, September 26, 2010
I bought this when the stylus on my old Soundesign turntable and saw that for $20 more than buying a new stylus, I could upgrade to a better record player. The player itself has 2 settings for autostart" 7" and 12" which covers most of my records. Unfortunately, there is no 10 setting. There are also only 2 speeds: 33.3 and 45 RPM. No 78 RPM setting, so older records will not play on this turntable. Sound-wise, this record player is a big improvement over the player I was using before. Unless a record is very scratched up, you will not hear crackling when using this turntable. Overall, if you want an inexpensive turntable you can't go wrong here. This is definitely the best turntable in its price range.

1.0 out of 5 stars Must have gotten a Lemon, November 11, 2010
Newf Dad (Upstate, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Played exactly 3 albums and on the 4th, the tone arm would get 3/4 of the way through and stop. Pushing the stop button to end play and retract the arm did nothing. Don't go solely on this review, there's always 1 lemon in the bunch.

As far as Wazingo goes, they were great. When I requested a refund they stood tall with no questions asked. Paid for return shipping and credit was immediate.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it..., January 13, 2010
sounds and looks great. easy to use. i love my vinyl and i would much rather listen to it in its original form rather than transferring it into my computer.
this player meets all my needs. it plugs directly into a set of speakers, no stereo needed.

Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable