Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Stereo Turntable System, Silver
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Silver|Change

on December 10, 2011
Just got one of these shipped all the way to Austria, was worried for a couple of days that the voltage and cycle frequency difference would be a problem, but it's absolutely not so. In the meantime I exchanged emails with Audio Technica's service center and support, and got a prompt reply that it's a DC controlled unit, meaning that if it's not a 120V current where you live, a simple voltage converter is sufficient.

The sound just blew me away, I put the unit straight through a test of fire by running it into a professional audio interface with direct monitoring (no AD/DA conversion), and from that to a pair of active Genelec studio monitors. To top it all, I fed it "The Headhunters" by Herbie Hancock. All I can say is wow. Super clean, full sound from the preamp in the unit, very good signal to noise ratio (barely audible hissing and crackling between tracks, not really perceivable when there's any kind of music going on). Let's see if it runs this well over time, so far I'm very impressed. Five stars.

BTW, if you check out the negative comments, some are talking about "how short the RCA cables are", and some are talking about the unit's "low volume". That's just audio ignorance running high around here. It comes with a pair of cables with which you can make an extension in two seconds, and the "low-volume" is because it comes with the pre-amp turned off. All you need to do to solve this "problem" is use your fingers to flip a switch in the back of the unit to "line" instead of phono. And if you complain that "assembling" the unit is difficult (putting three pieces together before running it), you're just beyond hope.
4242 comments|1,345 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2010
You really can't get a better turntable for this price. It wasn't broken or cracked when it arrived, it was easy to assemble, and it sounds great. For under 100 bucks that is more than I expected. The other cool thing about this turntable that is not in the description is that it's easily upgradeable. The turntable comes with a ATN3600L stylus. You can replace that stylus with the ATN3600DLX stylus for even better sound quality and performance. You can also get a better belt for it too but I haven't looked into that yet. It's not going to get any better than this until you hit about the $300 range.
9393 comments|809 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2011
A very nice "workhorse" of a turntable. You will more than likely need a receiver. This table has phono plugs in back and comes with 2 adapters with a 3.5mm headphone jack. One for female 3.5mm and one for male 3.5mm. I have my turntable running into my PC and have the 3.5mm auxiliary in jack enabled all the time so all I have to do is turn the turntable on and ..presto!..audio over my PC. Easy for recording. There is nothing fancy about this beauty. The "pause" button is a nice touch. You can press the pause and it will raise the needle so you can leave and come back later to the same place. That is also how you pick tracks. Just press pause and then nudge the needle to the desired track. There are no "extra" controls etc.. that is what a receiver is for. Check out a cheap receiver and the Sony SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers for cheap speakers. [...]
I bought my speakers from Amazon for $40 and they are a great addition to this turntable. Well built from quality materials and at 60 watts a piece. I can't recommend a receiver though. Mine is an old old old Realistic. Anyhow, this is a fantastic item. I think the rubber belt will break in the future but probably not for years. It is thin. In my opinion but still strong enough. Like I said I give it 5 years of steady use or so. A very cheap part to replace. I will place a pic of the rear panel in the product images section. Check it out if you are wondering.
review image review image review image review image
1111 comments|194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2010
I ordered this turntable so that I could (hopefully) listen to LPs I haven't been able to hear for the past 25+ years. (Old turntable broke; CDs were the "in" thing at the time, so I never replaced my old turntable). I'm not an audiophile as some are, plus I have hearing loss in one ear, so all I know is "Does it sound good?" Well, I can tell you that I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of sound that I heard from LPs that are old, and some not in the best of condition.

First, the set-up. I worried a bit about putting the belt on. (Did I also mention that I'm a klutz?) However, when the package arrived, I took everything out, read all the directions first, and within 2 minutes after that (that is not an exaggeration), I had the turntable set-up accomplished. It couldn't have been easier!

Initially, I hooked the turntable up to a pair of miniature speakers I bought for my iPod. I just wanted to make sure the records would play. I put the first album on the turntable, cleaned it with Discwasher cleaning kit, and pushed the Start button. I actually got tears in my eyes when I heard the LP play. Even with the miniature speakers, the music sounded pretty darn good. However, the miniature speakers do not have sound control, so I attached a pair of computer speakers (Altec). The music sounded even better. Today, I believe I'm going to bite the bullet and hook the turntable up to the stereo component (I still have one that has Phono input). I'm anxious to see what the music sounds like coming through a Bose speaker system.

Some reviewers commented on the short phono plugs that are permanently attached to the turntable. They are short, but 2 different types of extensions are shipped with the turntable, so I had no problem attaching my speakers, and I don't believe I'll have trouble when I attach the turntable to the stereo system.

I've only used this turntable one day (but I played albums for 4 hours last night!), so I can't comment on its longevity. However, based on what I experienced last night, I believe this turntable, especially for the price, is great. An FYI: This is the first review I've ever written for a product, so that says something about how I feel about this turntable.
55 comments|376 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2011
I was looking for something to play some special edition 10-inch records I have, as well as some older LP's from the 60's and 70's. The AT-LP60 worked right out of the box with my PC setup, as I don't have a stereo system. With the included adapters I can either plug the turntable right to my powered computer speakers, or if I ever want to rip a vinyl album to an audio file I can plug it directly in to my PC through the audio input jack. A receiver is NOT necessary for this turntable if you're using it with powered speakers or a PC, as it has an internal preamp. After unpacking, setup took about 10 minutes and is extremely easy. Before long I was playing 12-inch and 10-inch albums. As the description states, operation is fully automatic with the front buttons (play/stop), but you also have the option of playing it manually. I had to do this with my 10-inches, as there is not automatic preset for this size.

As far as sound quality, I am hardly an audiophile but to my ears it sounds incredible. Vinyl to me has always sounded "warmer" and seems to have more depth than audio CDs or mp3s. The AT-LP60 sounds amazing with a worn original Abbey Road pressing as well as a brand new Radiohead LP straight out of the packaging. The unit looks great and has a good feel to it. Obviously, for $75, it doesn't feel as "solid" as a more expensive player, but the price, overall sound quality, and ease of operation make it a definite good buy.
review image review image
on June 24, 2014
Yep. At one time I fretted on how to afford the turntable with the lowest wow and flutter, highest signal to noise ratio, heaviest platter, and constructed from the most exotic materials. Add to that the turntable had to have a mind-numbingly complex set-up procedure that would make launching the Space Shuttle (remember those?) look like making a cup of instant coffee in comparison, be completely manual, and heavy enough to create a gravity field so strong the starship Enterprise would have trouble escaping it. IF the table had all that plus be made by a manufacturer my fellow audiophiles would find worthy of holding in awe (Preferably a manufacturer with a name that was unpronounceable.) I would strain my budget and plunk down my cash (or plastic) and buy it. In other words; it was all about the equipment specifications.

My massive, heavy, and complex audiophile turntable proudly squatting on top of my electronics cabinet is the result of that previous obsession with trivia.

Frankly, I bought the AT-LP60 out of curiosity; Could a simple, automatic turntable possessing virtually no technological wizardry, costing less than my record cleaner and made from common plastic SOUND good enough satisfy my audiophile snobbery?

The answer is yes. The little AT-LP60 sounds just fine, and operates flawlessly. I've played everything from modern expensive audiophile records to 1950's spoken word recordings over the little table and been completely satisfied with its performance. Put a record on it, push "Play" and out comes music. No adjusting tracking force, tweeking rotation speeds, or fussing over the (non) audibility of wow-and-flutter or signal to noise. In point of fact the AT-LP60 lets me focus on enjoying the music while ignoring the technology of the TT; something many of us audiophiles find difficult or impossible to do. And, after all, it is all about the music, right?

Does the AT-LP60 sound as wonderful as my audiophile TT? No, but that's not a fair competition. Is a drag race between a top fuel dragster and a VW Bug a fair competition? BUT, the AT-LP60 costs a tiny fraction of the other table, and doesn't sound bad to boot. Please note: the sound quality of this, or any playback technology (including cd, turntables, tape players, etc) is dependent on the quality of the recording. That means use only excellent quality records on this (or any) TT. Even the finest, most expensive TT system will sound terrible if you use poor quality records on it, and conversely a good recording can make an inexpensive TT sound very good. So, buy the finest records you can and maintain them.

Considering its performance, ease of set-up, operation, and low cost the AT-LP60 scores four stars with me. I knock one star off for not securing the 45 adapter better, and because my sample has a couple of very visible scratches on the finish.

Would I buy the AT-LP60 again? Heck yeah, in a New York minute I would. Way to go, Audio Technica!
on January 23, 2015
Great sound, didn't expect this level of awesome for the price
review image
on March 10, 2010
I needed to replace my year-old Sony so I was pretty discouraged when I started my search. I was pretty much settled on the Pioneer and was researching reviews on the net when I stumbled on the Audio Technica AT-PL60 reviews that were so positive. So I switched and researched the PL-60 and decided to buy. Don't let the low price scare you off! It Sounds way better than my Sony which cost three times as much. It took two minutes to set up to my system and my vinyl came to life again! Family, Love and the Electric Prunes never sounded so good! I would Highly agree with the other reviewers that this is the best turntable under $300!
11 comment|157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2010
I had forgotten how good records sound. Before cd's came along, they were brought up to very high standards. With this t'table the sound comes across with good detail and range.

What else I like:

1. It sets up in a few minutes
2. It automatically lifts arm, places it on record, and put arm back on the arm rest when record is finished
3. It is simple and attractive. Understated class. Seems well built.
4. It has a dandy little dust cover
5. It comes with adapters, either male or female, for speakers or other inputs. I use computer speakers directly and sound was excellent.
6. It has both line out and phono out. I use line out for my speakers.
7. It has switches for 7 inch or lp sized records, and a speed for 45's, with adapter.
8. It was under 80 bucks, with Prime. Why pay 400?
9. Amazon shipped it in 3 days.

What I don't like: hmmmmm.....give me a minute.
0Comment|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2010
I admit, I'm new to vinyl. I have never used a turntable before last week when I picked up this Audio-Technica AT-LP60.

Setup is simple, it takes about five minutes. For speakers I have it hooked up to my Logitech Z-2300s via the RCA-to-3.5mm converter cable. My first test record was the 180gram vinyl version of Opeth's Blackwater Park and the sound is excellent. Smooth bass reproduction, very little distortion or background noise. Operation is fully automatic - put a record on and hit start, it does the rest. The AT-LP60 will support 12" or 7" records at either 33 or 45rpm. There's also a button to lift and drop the tonearm so you can manually place it or pause playback.

The reason I'm not giving this five stars (yet) -
Record playback is noticeably distorted as you get close to the end (the inner part of the vinyl). As I mentioned before, I'm new to vinyl... But a few quick Google searches seem to tell me that this is the fault of an incorrectly aligned cartridge. No big deal, I can just align it, right? But it doesn't look like there's any capability to do so, the cartridge is a solid piece and the stylus just snaps on. I suppose that's some of the capability you lose when buying an entry-level turntable.

So if anybody can shed some light on a fix for this problem, even if it requires some further purchases, you'd make my day.