5.0 out of 5 stars P-Mount Turntable Owners...This Is Your ONLY Logical Choice!
Published on July 9, 2007 by PETER J SAMMON

3.0 out of 5 stars Works OK
Installed on a Technics turntable bd 10 that is almost 45 years-old. It works well but I had to buy a phono pre amp. The sound is not really loud, but it is clear.
Published 12 months ago by John J Herrera

5.0 out of 5 stars P-Mount Turntable Owners...This Is Your ONLY Logical Choice!, July 9, 2007
PETER J SAMMON "Camman722" (GLEN RIDGE, NEW JERSEY United States) - See all my reviews
It's not that the compact disc cannot show its superiority at times under the right conditions but as usual the industry has reached a point whereas to sacrifice true dynamics for the sake of mass production. Did this not also occur during the glory days of analog vinyl reproduction? Still the big full artwork of the analog record cover may be reason enough for one to get bit {so to speak} by this very nostalgic analog bug as I and many others have recently! Besides...records...or vinyl if you will...are alot more interesting...are they not?

And what about those of you still fortunate enough to own one of the great {OK sometimes not so great} Technics and Pioneer P-Mount turntables like myself. As you pull your new found treasure from that dusty musty ole cellar box...you notice that the stylus {needle} ain't lookin' too great. The cantilever is rusted or the stylus is bent. So now what are you going to do?

You're probably gonna look for an o.e.m. replacement stylus/needle on line. Don't bother! Yes...it might be out there but probably will cost more than the fine product up for review here. Besides...one of the features of a T4P/P-Mount system is the fact that the cartridge can easily be pulled out after removing the side screw. Instead of replacing the needle...you can simply opt to {at low cost} replace the whole kit-'n-kabootle!

Of course there are limited pickins for P-Mounters these days and really only one that actuallly performs well. Enter the A-T 3482P cartridge with uniradial or conical stylus shape. The cartridge itself is downright sexy looking with its high glossy piano black finish and white lettering stamped on top. This is no run-in-the-mill A-T!

Audio-technica also offers a similarly priced, specified and constructed white model with bonded .7 mil stylus that is interchangeable with the introduction of its A-T 90CD but there are significant differences! One being the 3.5 mv output of the A-T 90 as opposed to the higher 5.0 mv output of the A-T 3482. The other is more significant but perhaps so easily overlooked.

The cantilever of the A-T 90CD is a thin alloy hollow tube that is so commonly found on numerous models from not only audio-technica but from Shure and others in this price range. Unfortunately...at least in their P-Mount form...they all stink! The cantilever of the 3482 however is a dark-colored light rigid skip-resisting carbon fiber type and it sounds good...very good...and sweet!

It also holds the groove better than any of the others. Some of the others don't perform as well at the 1.25 gram factory preset of most P-Mount tonearms because they are designed to operate ideally at higher forces. The 3482P is designed for optimum tracking at the factory settings of P-Mount tables.

Bass with the A-T 3482 in place is well-defined, strong and powerful without being overdone. Stereo separation, mids, highs and imaging are all superb! Sibilance also is handled well by this cart although not quit equal to the best standard mounts. At least you won't want to take cover everytime your favorite artist splatters that S-SSS-SSSSound!

Since using the A-T 3482P with my new TC-160LC Phono Preamp...the news gets even better! Guitar pickin' has really become something special and I am appreciating the subtlety aspect of this nice cartridge even more. For you old timers...like myself...remember when you owned your first Dual turntable way back when and for an extra twenty bucks you received that great Shure Hi-Track M91E??? Remember when once aligned properly with Dual's little plastic protractor...how great transients sounded...and how clean...Clean...C-L-E-A-N those Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, 4 Seasons, Neil Young, Beatles and Joni Mitchell LP's sounded???

Well...this is precisely what I'm getting with the A-T 3482P/Technics SL-D30/TCC TC-160LC combo...only better! By comparison and just for the hell of it...I recently substituted the A-T 3482P with the company's slightly higher priced A-T 92ECD model which features an aluminum cantilever with .003 x .007 elliptical stone. Remembering how well the A-T/Signets with a similar stylus shape sounded back in the day...I expected much more than what I received from this cart.

I found myself immediately yanking the 92ECD out of the Technics tonearm while putting the 3482 back in its place. Whew!...I was just happy to have that CARBON FIBER CANTILEVER BACK AT THE HELM AGAIN.

The 3482 has a nice way of staying detailed and dynamic even on inner passages but it must be said that the Shure M97xE does perform slightly better in this regard. The M97xE is also two to three times the price of the A-T 3482. Funny how I find myself listening to the Technics/A-T rig quite a bit lately. Man...THAT GE-EEE-TAR P-I-C-K-I-N'!!!!

So...ole timers...here you go...here is your modern day Shure M91E bargain...at least in P-Mount form. It outperforms all other P-Mount designs past and present...Peter

Well...this is precisely what I'm getting with the A-T 3482P/Technics SL-D30/TCC TC-160LC combo. By comparison and just for the hell of it...I recently substituted the A-T 3482P with the company's slightly higher priced A-T 92ECD model which features an aluminum cantilever with .003 x .007 elliptical stone. Remembering how well the A-T/Signets with a similar stylus shape sounded back in the day...I expected much more than what I received from this cart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Cartridge For The Price, July 17, 2009
Can't add too much to what has already been stated here. It is a fantastic sounding cartridge, to me seems real neutral, not focusing on any particular frequency. Was an upgrade in the bass department over my prior AT cartridge which was an older model and really seemed to lack bass. Sound is clear and detailed. Awesome to get such a nice cartridge for such a great price. So glad that AT is still making these P Mount cartridges. I would be half tempted to buy a second one as a spare in case AT was to discontinue this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars AT3482P fills the bill, September 12, 2009
WEP "SciFiFan" (Hopkinsville, KY) - See all my reviews
I have an extensive library of old 33 1/3 and 45rpm recordings, which I am slowly converting to CD format. I needed a new cartridge for my Technics turntable, and bought this one. It works perfectly. The sound is crisp and clean. I highly recommend this cartridge.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Upgrade in Sound, April 17, 2011
robert a ellis (duluth, mn United States) - See all my reviews
The AT3482P has transformed my older Technics turntable into a great experience in analog sound. With the correct grounding to my integrated amplifier all surface noise and hum is eliminated when playing a decent vinyl lp. A London recording from 1972 of the Gabrieli String Quartet (Dvorak String Qt., Op. 51) proved that the best vinyl recordings of strings really can reveal a life-like sheen that isn't quite there in digital recordings.

Give this one a try if you'd like an inexpensive way to bring your vinyl back to life again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound for a great price., July 5, 2011
This cartridge packs a lot of punch for the price. It boasts decent clarity of even the most detailed highs and the lows kick right through the wall. Definitely a value!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for my purposes..., March 18, 2011
The cartridge was purchased to resuscitate an inexpensive, old Pioneer PL-570 (the cheap, plastic, belt-drive model). It presents clean, detailed sound, with a captivating midrange, and is an upgrade to the original T4P cartridge. I have it paired with an Audio Technica PEQ3 phono preamp.

I am quite satisfied with the sound and am now happily spinning records.

4.0 out of 5 stars cartridge works fine, January 4, 2011
This cartridge works fine for my turntable bought in the 80's. It installed easily, just like the original, and transmits excellent sound. It sounds as good as cartridges that I paid more for 10-15 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFORMANCE, July 9, 2010
Excellent! Superior performance on the JVC AL-F3 turntable. Delivery turnaround timeframe from order date was remarkable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional value!, June 12, 2010
Rusty P. (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this cartridge for a 1986 JVC AL-F3 turntable with the T4P system. After installing the cartridge it was immediately apparent that this was a good purchase. I've heard more expensive cartridges, but I really recommend this one for sound quality and value. I will most definitely get another one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service and product, January 23, 2010
The item was available at a great price, delivered promptly and the perfect replacement for the P-mount cartridge on my technics turntable. I would get the item again and from the same source.