5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for My Requirements
Published on July 26, 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says.
I purchased this at Costco for $25, and at that price it's good value.
Pros:
It is solid; mostly metal; only plastic is the sensor head.
It has three lights for wide, even coverage.
It has wide motion detecting coverage.
Puts out a good amount of light.
Cons:
Published on March 10, 2009 by S. Jang

3.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says., March 10, 2009
This review is from: EML Technologies Thermal True-Range Electro-Optical 3-Light Motion Sensor
I purchased this at Costco for $25, and at that price it's good value.
Pros:
It is solid; mostly metal; only plastic is the sensor head.
It has three lights for wide, even coverage.
It has wide motion detecting coverage.
Puts out a good amount of light.
Cons:
The light shades do not rotate completely around the bulb; only about a 90-deg arc. Guess they are more "decorative".
Does not have a "dim" feature, whereby the lights stay on low power and brighten to full intensity when motion is detected. Not a big deal, but would have been a nice extra.
Adjustment for time seems finicky on my unit. The instructions say the max time is 10 min, but mine seems to stay on longer. I think it may be user ignorance...I think you have to cycle the power after making an adjustment, but the instructions don't specify.
The knobs and rings used to adjust/tighten the lights for directionality are difficult to access if you have large fingers. The paint comes off easily; wrap your wrench jaws.

Overall, for the price I paid, it's a definite keeper!

1.0 out of 5 stars EML Motion Detector lights - very expensive to own, January 9, 2011
Bought three, installed by an electrician - worked fine for a few months, now one stays on for most of the night, cannot adjust it - another lights up during the day! Turned both off at the switch, my electric bill was outrageous. As I see in the reviews, there are very similar experiences with these EML motion sensor lights. Cannot find any on the market, now I see why - They are being closed out in general - and specifically the retail outlet where I bought the lights said they closed them out with no plans to reorder. Therefore, I cannot return them there for replacement. Following the Warranty directions, I contacted the company in Danville, CA, as the lights have a "Full Lifetime Warranty". From this conversation, I learned I had to pay postage to return them, so they could determine the problem. I have decided not to do this, as I have so much already invested in these lights - with high electrical bills, service calls by an electrician to install - then remove and reinstall new lights. This investment is far higher than the original purchase price of the lights. Time to change brands!

1.0 out of 5 stars Make sure your mount will work, May 11, 2009
C. Little (Strasburg, CO) - See all my reviews
I purchased this light to put on my pole barn. I normally don't write reviews, but thought I would save someone else the problem with this light that I had in the event you have a similar setup. My pole barn has one of the standard round outdoor fixture boxes mounted on the surface of the barn (i.e. the fixture outlet sticks out from the surface of the barn rather than being mounted from the inside with a 4" hole through the barn siding). This light is not made for a standard round outlet. The back is an irregular shape without a round protrusion to make it possible to get a weather tight seal unless you can mount the back of this unit to a flat surface (or one flat enough that you can seal around). Looked like a great light, but if your outlet box isn't inside the wall you might want to reconsider.

1.0 out of 5 stars COMPANY FILED CHAPTER 7 BK MAY 2012, May 24, 2013
DC Maxx "Wood" (Middle Atlantic,East Coast) - See all my reviews

that should answer all your questions of whether this is a reliable company. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET PARTS OR SERVICE FOR ANY FIXTURE THE SOLD. WHETHER YOU BOUGHT IT AT COSTCO OR AMAZON it don't matter. THEY ALSO HAVE A bbb rating of F

1.0 out of 5 stars No Instuctions, March 6, 2009
There wasn't any instructions included, just the information on the box. Can't find a place to download instructions either. I'll eventually figure it out by trail and error, not the best way

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for My Requirements, July 26, 2009
Amazon Customer "SuSEKing" (I am a citizen of the world taking refuge in the USA) - See all my reviews
I saw this item at Costco on clearance for $12. Everything that you need to install and operate the light is in the box. Like one reviewer commented, there are no printed instructions other than what is provided on the box. Installation was a breeze, easier than most outdoor lamps. The lamp housing attaches to a flat bar that has two slotted holes so that it fits to a variety of outlet boxes. There are three screws provided to attach the lamp housing to the bracket. The screws different in length (great idea). There is no included weather gasket, but I made one using weather stripping. Wiring is straightforward, black, white, and green (ground). The wires have labels to help the novice. The motion sensor works very well. You can place the item in test mode where the lights will illuminate (even in daylight) when the motion sensor is triggered. This mode is great for setting the sensitivity. The lights are very bright. I use two to illuminate the deck and the third to illuminate the hot tub area. I have configured the sensor so that I do not have to switch the light off. During the day, the sensor is smart enough to prevent illumination. At night, the lights illuminate for the preset time when the motion sensor is triggered. As mentioned by another reviewer, the lamp shade have very little rotation, this is a minor negative. Also, the housing looks as if it were made for a cheap cast and the painting is minimal. That being said, the lights do look great and provide a great amount of illumination. My only disappointment is that the sensor is reported to provide nearly 360 degrees of motion sensoring. I found that the sensor does an excellent job of detecting motion within +-45 degrees of its center axis. Beyond 45 degrees, the sensor does not sense the motion ... even on its most sensitive setting. In conclusion, it is an excellent item, especially for a clearance price of $12.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, stuck on, December 18, 2013
I have these lights , didn't purchase from Amazon, they came with my house. They are now stuck on day and night. Will be pulling these out and changing the circuit to have a switch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great light, but do you replace the light bulb?, March 21, 2010
We love our lights. They come on properly and light up our entire backyard. But now some of the bulbs have burned out. Does anyone know how to replace them? I've tried unscrewing every part with no luck? Does the light lens pop out somehow? Or does the white collar around the lens come off? If so, how. Thanks in advance.

2.0 out of 5 stars great for around 3 months, only., February 18, 2010
Lynne B. Demichele "lynlite" (Gig Harbor, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Loved it! But then a few months after installation, the motion detector stopped working. We've tried in vain to find a replacement bulb. EML has a website, butit's "under construction." Suggest you buy a light from Home Depot or Lowes instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars Replacement bulbs available, November 1, 2013
We bought 4 of these with very mixed performance. In the several yrs we have owned them, only 1 motion sensor still works and two bulbs of the eight have burned out. However the bulbs are a standard Halogen 110-130V, 100W GY6.35 Base, JDC/T4 shape "Tube" bulb. We found the bulb at Ace for $9 (RIDICULOUS!) and it lasted only a week. We did find them on-line for $1.61 delivered (we order 6). We shall see if they are worth the trouble of replacing or not. They get really hot also. So much for energy efficient but at least they cast a lot of light. I really appreciate the post about the bankruptcy -- it explained a lot. So much for lifetime warranty!

Rate and Discover Movies