5.0 out of 5 stars Like a dog in heat...
Ted Nugent's first solo album defines what was great about mid-'70's hard rock, commercial yet not altogether radio friendly
Published on October 10, 2001 by Mark H.

3.0 out of 5 stars What a guitar player!
Published on September 13, 2003 by Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a dog in heat..., October 10, 2001
This review is from: Ted Nugent (Audio CD)
songs that still stand up today. This was the first Ted CD I bought after listening "Great Gonzos" for the last ten years. I knew a record which already contained "Stranglehold", "Doctor" and "Madhouse" would have other killer songs and I wasn't disappointed. "Stormtroopin'", "Hey Baby", "Snakeskin Cowboys", and "Queen of the Forest" also push this album into classic status. I love the combination of Ted's obnoxious guitar and Derek St. Holmes' struttin' vocals. I think St. Holmes was a very underated singer and his contributions to this LP have helped me enjoy it even more. The fact that Ted only sings one line in "Stranglehood" and solo vocal on "Madhouse" was another pleasant surprise. It's too bad the two of them couldn't continue in the same vein after Ted asserted his dominance over all aspects of his music including his sometimes ridiculous singing voice. As far as the extras on this CD reissue go, like many other reissues of classic albums(see also Judas Priest),....who needs them! "Magic Party" [stinks] and the three live tracks are all on "Double Live Gonzo", so why bother? Just give me the nine tracks from the original 1975 release and that's all I need from Terrible Teddy's classic Epic debut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good taster of an unconventional rock guitarist, April 27, 2005
Alfredo Sanz Hervas (Madrid, Spain, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ted Nugent (Audio CD)
I love this album for several reasons. The tracks are very diverse. I like Stranglehold, Motor City Madhouse and Hey Baby, but I'm sure you'll disagree with me, because there are songs for all the tastes. In any case, this is rock'n'roll at its best: nice guitar riffs and solos, a good singer and interesting songs. As a guitarist, I've always liked the clean and dense sound of Ted's guitar... He is not a conventional rocker: his solos (listen to Stranglehold!) have a special lyricism and emotion not found with other guitar heroes. He's much better than many. He knows the meaning of silence and space in music, which is especially uncommon to many rock'n'roll guitarists... It's a pity he didn't have the ability to keep together a permanent band around him...The extra tracks in this CD show that Ted really could play live at the same standard as in the studio. I also like a later album called 'Weekend Warriors', although it's not usually ranked among his best by other people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deadly Tedly, May 24, 2001
This review is from: Ted Nugent (Audio CD)
From top to bottom, this album has to rank right up there with BTO's "Not Fragile" as one of the most consistent and entertaining that hard rock had to offer in the 1970's. The first Nugent album to feature vocalist Derek St. Holmes, "Ted Nugent" was a comeback of sorts for Nugent after years of paying dues with seminal thud rock/psychedelic warriors The Amboy Dukes. Although this release features all of the guitar wizardry and histrionics we've come to expect from Nugent (and despite what you think of his politics, let's face it: the guy knows his way around a fretboard) on "Stranglehold," "Just What The Doctor Ordered," and "Snakeskin Cowboys," he also shows a flair for swing on "Hey Baby," which was later covered by blues diva Koko Taylor. Contains probably the best description of my hometown of Detroit in "Motor City Madhouse": "Such a healthy place for the boys and girls/It's the murder capital of the world." What's starting to worry me is that although I've never picked up a gun or bow in my life, I find myself agreeing with most of what he says, and there's something weirdly charming about his maniacal desire to kill every deer in North America. One of the best albums from the decade that helped to define heavy metal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down his best work, December 22, 2009
This review is from: Ted Nugent (Audio CD)
When I first heard this, I didnt like every song but really liked the ones I did like. I now love all of them equally as I realize this music was carved out of a different time in America that will never happen again.

The only problem with this album is that it is so good that I dont like any of his other albums at all. If somebody doesnt at least tap their foot to Stormtroopin' you can bet they are brain dead.

3.0 out of 5 stars What a guitar player!, September 13, 2003
This review is from: Motor City Madness (Audio CD)
The Motor City Madman is one of the best guitar player of all time, and his is a collection of songs from his first 7 albums. All the songs are some what good but I would only recomend this to big Nugent fans, because the albums are a lot better then this, but if you are a really big Nug fan then you must get this. But I personaly would recomend getting his first albums Ted Nugent, Cat Scratch Fever, and Scream Dream because on those albums the band really shines. This isnt that band either though. But I would not recomend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ted Nugent - Ted Nugent, June 29, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Ted Nugent (Audio CD)
This CD is his first and best ever. In the first song, Stranglehold, Ted's guitar playing is beyond belief. Other great songs included on this album are Stormtroopin', Just What the Doctor Ordered and Snakeskin Cowboys. The extra tracks include live versions of Stormtroopin', Just What the Dr. Ordered and Motor City Mad House. Also live is Magic Party, which I didn't care for much, but one song out a whole album is not bad! Do yourself a favor...take a trip back to the 70's and buy this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars the better half of ted nugent X2, September 23, 2009
Paul G. Sundling "sundling" (Los Angeles CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ted Nugent (Audio CD)
I got this album as part of a two album set called X2:Ted Nugent/Cat Scratch Fever and it was way better than Catch Scratch Fever part of the set. If you're a big fan, look for the set to see if it's a better deal than buying this album alone. Originally released in 1975, this version has 2 live tracks that are amusing. In the beginning of a live track he's like thank you thank you and he does the same exact greet in one of the 2 live tracks on Cat Scratch Fever. What I found refreshing was the unedited nature of the albums, especially Cat Scratch Fever where he mentions P*ssy twice and other synonyms. Of course, if you're offended by such things, why are you listening to Nugent?!

The singer himself is an interesting personality, being something of a conservative unlike most rockers. You can read the story on Wikipedia. He is very into hunting and archery and has a very active public life. It's amazing how many times he's been on reality TV.

"Strangehold" is easily my favorite track on the album, followed by "Hey babe" and "Where Have You Been All My Life". In "Where Have You Been All My Life", he's like where have you been all my life? I'm looking for a wife. My favorite line in the song is "all you naked women running round in my head". He definitely seems a little preoccupied with sex, but what male isn't. The three biggest compelling things in life are wine, women and song, or in modern time, sex, drugs and rock n' roll. So he's combining 2 of them, although the singer has personally taken a big stance again the wine/drugs part of the equation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 28, 2013
This review is from: Ted Nugent (Audio CD)
Awesome Album. I recommend this album. Great music... great artist. You should add this cd to your library. I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ted Nugent (1975), October 9, 2005
Gitters (Allendale, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ted Nugent (Audio CD)
Ted Nugent's 1975 album for Epic records has become a hard rock classic. Featuring one of Nugent's best and best known songs "Stranglehold", this album rocks from start to finish. This is probably Ted Nugent's best album. Highlights include: Stranglehold, Just What the Doctor Ordered, Stormtroopin, Hey Baby and Snakeskin Cowboys. A must for your hard rock collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Zee Wang-go zee tang-go!, January 13, 2001
eveoflove (North York, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Motor City Madness (Audio CD)
Made in USA in 1996 Serial#A-28066 Playing Time: 39 mins.
A compilation of material up to his 7th album, "Scream Dream", this compilation is way too short and excludes "essential" tracks from his days with the SONY label.
It's worth getting (used) if you're unfamiliar with his work, and for a bit more money, you can get the "Expanded Editions" of his first few albums.
Some in-your-face guitar performances, with lyrics like "You have to pretend your face is a Maserati"
It deserves 3-and-a-half stars, because it simply rocks!

ARRAY(0xd99e65ac)

Ted Nugent
Ted Nugent by Ted Nugent (Audio CD - 1999)