5.0 out of 5 stars Offers something for every meal time occasion
Published on October 14, 2010 by Midwest Book Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic cookbook, kinda boring
I picked this up from the library thinking I might get some ideas for cooking with my kids. I already have a lot of cookbooks, and I really didn't see much new here. Nice photos, but the recipes are really basic and nothing particularly appealing to teens. Buckwheat pancakes? Mashed potatoes? Tomato soup? snore.....
Published on October 26, 2011 by NW Academic

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers something for every meal time occasion, October 14, 2010
This review is from: Teen Cuisine (Hardcover)
Along with being able to read and write, one of the truly life-long skills children can be equipped with is the ability to cook. All to often adolescence is a time of fast-food take-out alternating with microwave fare. What is needed is something to engage teens with the sense of accomplishment that comes from making a meal with their own hands that will be as delicious as it is nutritious. That's where Matthew Locricchio's "Teen Cuisine" comes in. This superbly illustrated 207-page compendium is an instructive collection of 'kitchen cook friendly' recipes of dishes that will appeal to even the most discriminating appetites. From breakfast items like a Fresh Fruit Tostados; to snacks such as a Yogurt and Cucumber Dip; to a variety of 'Celebrity Soups' including New Gazpacho with Chipotle Almond Cream; to salads and dressings such as Chicken Salad with Green Goddess Dressing; to sandwiches and burgers where 'Not-an-Ordinary Grilled Cheese Sandwich' truly lives up to its name!; to pizzas, side dishes, entrees, and desserts, "Teen Cuisine" offers something for every meal time occasion. Enhanced with the inclusion of a list of kitchen pantry essentials, a metric conversion chart, and an illustrated list of kitchen equipment and utensils, "Teen Cuisine" is a welcome and enthusiastically recommended addition to family, school, and community library Cookbook collections.

5.0 out of 5 stars teen cuisine, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Teen Cuisine (Hardcover)
My teenager niece and nephew love Chef Locricchio's books. This latest, Teen Cuisine, is great. The recipes are unique, easy to follow, and delicious. As an adult and avid cook myself, I really like the chef's tips included in his work. He is so generous in sharing the history, general information, and his complete knowledge of specific ingredients and special techniques. And this cookbook is fun. The photographs are stunning. The recipes are inspiring. My teenagers love the cooking process and the final products. Each and every one of the recipes we have cooked together from this book are smashing successes. Matthew Locricchio is a very talented chef and great communicator. If anyone is searching for a positive, rewarding, and yummy way to be more involved with teenagers this cookbook(especially the ease of instruction and the ease in buying needed ingredients), this is the cookbook to use. Absolutely one of my family favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday gift, May 29, 2013
This review is from: Teen Cuisine (Hardcover)
We gave this gift to our son for his 13th birthday, and now he loves being responsible for one meal each week. He picks recipes, makes a grocery list, and creates the meal all on his own. And he loves it. This is a great book for him because all of the recipes are things he likes, and he learning how to cook his favorite things.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic cookbook, kinda boring, October 26, 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars 8 out of 10 hearts!, May 14, 2011
This review is from: Teen Cuisine (Hardcover)
From the Back Cover: Renowned chef Matthew Locricchio's Teen Cuisine is a one-of-a-kind cookbook that introduces adolescents to more than 50 mouthwatering recipes. For beginning cooks and seasoned chefs, its step-by-step instructions feature fresh, nutritious ingredients and show-stopping dishes made from scratch.

What Stephanie Thought: When it comes to food, most of my experiences go like this:
Somebody: Hey Stephanie, you like to eat, right? Are you good at cooking?
Me: No, no. I can't be good in every room of the house!
But seriously. Considering I'm the kind of person who could burn a caesar salad, most people would not come to me first (or at all) for food catering needs. Which is why when I saw this cookbook that clearly states it is for neophytes, I knew it was perfect for me.

Many of the recipes featured in Teen Cuisine are indeed a very innovative way to get kids to enjoy their time in the kitchen. The four recipes I tried out (California-style pizza, Alabama Festival Shrimp, Po-Boy Sandwich, and Slow Cakes) ended up fantastic: easy-to-follow, orderly, and most importantly, tasty.

I wish the recipe instructions would have had more pictures. For a beginner's cookbook, this one isn't as effortless as it leads on to. I would have loved progressive images to keep track of where I was while cooking, sort of like in origami or other craft books.

Also, easy cooking does not necessarily mean healthy cooking. Though a lot of the recipes call for "whole-grain" and "fresh" ingredients, it is evident by the foods themselves, such as the Max Mac and Cheese and Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza, that these are not exactly heart-healthy selections. I'll admit I'm sort of a nut about these kinds of things. The recipes are super, yes, and even better, simple, but if you closely watch what you eat, Teen Cuisine's greasy choices may not be ideal for you.

Stephanie Loves: The recipe for California-style pizza. Think California Pizza Kitchen or what I like to call sun pizzas! Yummm.

Where Stephanie Got It: Received directly from FSB Media for review.

Radical Rating: 8 hearts- Would recommend to lots of really good friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for teens who love to cook or want to know how, May 23, 2013
This review is from: Teen Cuisine (Kindle Edition)
Yummy recipes. Great pictures and easy to follow directions. Love all the food in this. Highly recomended. It is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids, October 9, 2011
Patience Crabstick (Charlottesville VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teen Cuisine (Hardcover)
My son, who is twelve, is interested in cooking and we have had a lot of fun with Teen Cuisine. Children's cookbooks have changed a lot since I was a kid, when they featured items mainly made from mixes. There was a complaint in a different review that some of the recipes in Teen Cuisine are not very healthy, but they are, at least, made from scratch, of whole foods. Right now, black beans are simmering on my stovetop for the book's black bean soup. There's a chapter devoted to pizza--each with a different, scratch made dough. My son and I did them all in one week, creating a family pizza taste test. Hands down winner was the Chicago deep dish pizza--the thick crust is lightened with cornmeal--and we also liked the California pizza, whose dough starts with a rye flour sponge, creating a sourdough flavor. Also delicious, the pulled pork sandwich, which my husband declared tastes better than the pulled pork we buy from the barbecue place in our neighborhood. I don't know much about Matthew Locricchio, the author, but he must either be from the south or enjoy southern cooking because there's definitely a southern influence here, with recipes for cheese grits, cooked greens, and other southern-style dishes. We haven't tried the grits, but the collards were delicious, and a nice complement to the pulled pork.

These recipes are a little challenging for a twelve year old. My son didn't want me to help him and the result was that we ate dinner very late, particularly on the nights he made pizza. This cookbook is also good one for parents, looking for dinner recipes that will appeal to their kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... to cook and she can't wait to use the wonderful recipes in TEEN CUISINE, July 9, 2014
This review is from: Teen Cuisine (Hardcover)
I gave this book to a pre- teen who loves to cook and she can't wait to use the wonderful recipes in TEEN CUISINE. Having recipes with great pictures also makes the book very readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Teen Cuisine (Hardcover)
This book was amazing! It helped me out with the simple recipes and taught me how to make more advanced recipes. I would recommend this book to any teen (or adult) that loves to cook. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Teen Cuisine, May 15, 2014
This review is from: Teen Cuisine (Hardcover)
Bought for my granddaughters 13th birthday. She was really excited about it. We spent time looking through it together and talking about the recipes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Teen Cuisine
Teen Cuisine by Matthew Locricchio (Hardcover - October 1, 2010)
$22.95 $19.31