Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: DVD|Change

When I heard that MTV had plans to update the cheesy eighties movie "Teen Wolf" into a modern serialized drama, I can't say that I was filled with optimism. As the network was trying to establish a successful slate of scripted programming, however, a sexy and suspenseful werewolf thriller made sense. I just didn't know if MTV could get the right creative force to put the project together in an interesting way and utilize the budget and effects necessary to make it stand apart from the supernatural crowd. I think it's fair to say that this is more of a complete reinvention of the source film as opposed to any sort of remake. Aside from sharing an overlapping central theme, the two projects couldn't be more dissimilar. But utilizing the same sensibilities that have made "Vampire Diaries" a success, this wolf saga is an intoxicating blend of humor, romance, and chills. Starting as more of a frothy comedy, the series gradually incorporated darker elements as the narrative unfolded until you were sometimes surprised just how effective the thriller aspect was working.

I used "Vampire Diaries" as a specific reference point, because I also think that "Teen Wolf" has all the qualities needed to become a break-out hit. It is a show that would certainly be appreciated by people that don't watch MTV. "Vampire Diaries" on CW had an uneven (but likable) first season, but turned into a surprisingly sophisticated soap opera for a stellar second season. "Wolf," similarly, has the potential to evolve further into a smart and multi-layered entertainment. The twelve episodes of Season One, by necessity, focused on two major plot points--a boy who becomes a wolf and the search for his maker. In the show, Tyler Posey plays the central character. As he starts to understand what is happening, the scripts deftly blends comedy, confusion, and awe as he gets an unlikely tutor in the form of a more serious wolfman played by Tyler Hoechlin. The early episodes exhibit plenty of charm as Posey relishes his new school status and blossoming romance. As the show progresses, the sense of danger becomes a primary ingredient. I wasn't crazy about every aspect that helped bring the Alpha story line to fruition. The central mystery, when it was finally revealed, lacked a bit of surprise or impact for me. But it was a small point in an otherwise engaging season.

While the entire cast is attractive and effective, I've got to throw out props to Posey. Of course, only in TV land would Posey be considered a loser. Adorable smile, killer physique, and all around charming demeanor--the show brands him a geek initially for the apparent reason that he is an asthmatic (inhalers are so unsexy). He juggles the complexities of his role with dexterity and is always a winning protagonist--it is easy to be invested in his plight and emotional journey. As his wacky sidekick, Dylan O'Brien also gets a special shout-out from me. Why? He portrays the biggest cliche' possible as Posey's wise-cracking best friend and still makes it seem effortless and new. I really enjoyed this show. Fast and stylish, with an appropriately impressive MTV soundtrack, this is sheer entertainment. It doesn't have lofty goals--it just wants to give you a fun ride. And that it does. KGHarris, 8/11.

DVD Extras:
Extended Version of Season Finale episode "Code Breakers"
Deleted, Alternate and Extended Scenes
Gag Reel
Special Featurette: Season 1 Shirtless Montage
Behind-The-Scenes Featurettes: (1)Following The Pack, (2)Love Bites, and (3)Teen Wolf cast on the Red Carpet
11 comment|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2011
I have never watched MTV but the advance notices on this show piqued my interest. I was hooked from Day 1. Some of the actors were already familiar from other shows (e.g. Colton Haynes from THE GATES - who played a werewolf there; Ian Bohen from earlier British work, etc.). The show is much more than just "boy gets bitten by werewolf" and "boy becomes werewolf". It's also a mystery as to who has done the "original biting" and who is the "Alpha Wolf". There are werewolf hunters with their own personalities and conflicts; there is depth to the characters; there is plenty of eye candy; great cliff hangers. Haynes, in particular, evolves as an interesting and conflicted character; the central character (Posey) is in love with a member of the werewolf hunters' family; a mysterious veterinarian and a hospitalized young lady who was also werewolf attacked add to the mix along with the new putative "Alpha" werewolf. This show was far better than most of those on the higher rung of network and cable TV. Can't wait for Season 2 and the DVD. An excellent "guilty pleasure".
on August 1, 2012
I dig this show a lot, and I was all set to hate it. I thought it was just going to be another bad take on Twilight, and Twilight was bad enough, but I was pleasantly suprised, when on the recommendation of a family member I sat down and watched Teen Wolf. I couldn't have been more wrong. The show is a well written show that cleverly combines action, comedy, horror, and drama, sometimes into the same scene. The cast is also really great. You usually don't find young stars like this that can actually act, but these people can. Through their performances we get to know, and care about the characters. As an avid horror fan I will say that this isn't really scary, nor is it really meant to be, but it still sinks it's claw into you and keeps you interested.

If I could throw out any criticisms it would be that most of the CGI, and fight scenes aren't the best, it's nothing that actually takes you out of it, but it's definitely not the best out there. Though I will say, Season 2 has done better on both of these fronts, I'm guessing due to a larger budget on account of it's success. I can't wait to finish season 2 and I sit impatiently for the start of season 3.

I watched all of season 1 before I actually bought the dvd, and I was curious if anyone knows: On the back it says "This series is musically edited". What does this mean? Is the music on the dvd different than the original aired verison?

If anyone can clear this up I'd appericate it, thanks.
55 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2012
This show caught me by surprise. I thought it would be dopey, but I really loved it. The minimalist approach to the werewolf effects is a smart choice. Still a little on a cheesy-side but it could be a lot worse. The characters are perfectly casted. What I really like is the story. Most shows bore me because I can predict plot turns a mile ahead. Teen Wolf season one has some genuine suspense that caught me off guard and the story went in directions I could never have predicted. Well done.

Season two is good, but not great.
on June 3, 2012
I like this show so much that it surprises, no, astonishes me.

Now I am surprised, no, astonished at the absence of a Blu-Ray release.

What gives? This is a hit show for MTV. We know the high-def masters exist. I watched it on MTV-HD. I can get HD digital downloads from Amazon.

Seriously, if you missed this show when it first showed, give it a try. I haven't been this surprised by horror on TV since Spike's "Blade." It seems that "Teen Wolf" is finding an audience, so hopefully it will fare better.
33 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2015
If you hear the name 'Teen Wolf' and you're thinking of the classic 1980s flick with Michael J. Fox, think again... Because this series is a whole new animal!

Teen Wolf is set in the town of Beacon Hills California, where mysterious animal attacks are plaguing the town. In fact, the story begins as two of the principal characters, Scott and Stiles, set out to find a dead body because of a report that Stiles heard from his Dad's police radio. At the end of the night though, Scott gets a lot more than he bargained for. After receiving "The Bite", we witness how Scott struggles to come to terms with becoming a teenage werewolf, all while balancing unfamiliar popularity brought on through his newfound abilities, a new romance, figuring out how the mystery of a family burned alive in their house is connected to the Lycan activity around town, and also figuring out the identity of the 'Alpha' that bit him.

Teen Wolf features engaging characters with great chemistry, wit and charm; from the romance between Scott and Allison (who have loads of sparks between them), the unrequited love that Stiles has for Lydia and unbound nastiness of in school rival Jackson. The stories are thrilling, hip and cool with some funny moments thrown in for good measure. So grab some popcorn and sit back for the ride!
on August 30, 2012
I have been watching "Teen Wolf" since the first episode aired on MTV. When I saw the previews I thought it might be a good show...I was not disappointed, this show has a great story line. What I like most about it is that each character is evolving, and all the good stuff isn't just focused on one character....I recommend this show to anyone, and yolu should also check out season 2 its great as well..I'm gonna purchase it as soon as its on DVD!!!
on October 14, 2012
At first I was very skeptical about watching this show since it was MTV. My favorite show of all shows is Skins UK, and when MTV redid the series I was pretty pissed and decided MTV should just stick to reality shows, it's the only thing they're good for. But if you're on tumblr, then that's pretty much all I have to say. This show is easily one of my top 5. And while at some parts it's cheesy, it's endearing. And the second season is way better. I can't wait to see what season 3 will be like!
on May 23, 2015
Maybe I have higher quality expectations, or I am too far removed generally from today's teenagers, but after only two episodes this series is too contrived to be enjoyable. Scott and Stiles, especially, are so irrational at times (i.e., hunting a werewolf or digging up a grave on its property by themselves; Scott resolving to play a game despite the fact he is likely to turn into a werewolf, endangering everyone at the game and probably causing physical mayhem) or the scene where a girl goes alone into the BOYS darkened locker room and wanders around aimlessly without turning on the lights, while the boy she is seeking is a teenage werewolf lurking in the shadows overhead--PLEEEAAASE--I don't get it. Stiles routinely overreacts to almost every circumstances (poorly acted) while Scott does his best to ignore the reality of his condition regardless of the consequences (poorly conceived). Maybe this generation's teenagers are that shortsighted and self-possessed, but the ones I have been teaching for nearly a decade would be more likely to act more carefully and be more concerned about the safety of others. This fantasy doesn't work for me, although I like others, e.g., The Flash, Arrow, & Grimm. Maybe that's why its available on Prime Instant Video because its not commercially viable. I'm just glad I didn't spend any $ to watch. ******** HOWEVER, I made myself watch several more episodes, and my reaction HAS CHANGED. While certain plot lines are still a "ARE KIDDING ME!! reach", especially when Stils keeps doing the irrational or making the wrong, stupid choice, that you know is going to fail or mean trouble, the first season became quite enjoyable. SO I AM CHANGING MY RATING FROM 3 STARS TO 4 STARS.
on August 2, 2013
If you would have told me I would become a total fan of a modern twist on a 80's classic with overtly Twilightish undertones, I would have scoffed at the thought. I knew of this show years ago and refused to watch it but recently when I was too lazy to look for my remote I was forced to face my fears head on during a back-to-back airing of Season 3 episodes. After 5 minutes, I was hooked. I was dismayed that I did not know any backstory and had no idea who was who, but the acting was actually believable and every main character was easy on the eyes, literally, there is not a ugly main character to be seen ( I could see the appeal to the younger demographic). So I did what any nerd would do, I went onto Netflix and had a marathon watch-a-thon from Season 1 onward. You do not have to wait long to get introduced into the supernatural element of this series and moments of suspense were aplenty from starting with the pilot episode. The two main guys you first are introduced to "Scott" and "Stiles" are the central protagonists. For being the "nerdy, unpopular guys" they resemble the handsome guys that usually would roll with the popular crew in any realistic high school. Portrayed by Tyler Posey and Dylan O'Brien respectively, both actors really dive into their reality of underdogs, and through them we meet the other main characters "Allison", "Lydia", and "Jackson, etc." aka the other ridiculously hot main characters. The usual high school angst ensues centered around the sport of lacrosse with the guys, blossoming teen love and star crossed lovers, and hilarious encounters with the parental units of all involved. The first main werewolf we meet "Derek Hale" is played by the ever so rugged and handsome Tyler Hoechlin. I will not bog this review down with every plot detail, but believe me the story lines are mostly riveting and the show really knows how to ramp up the suspenseful moments. For all those that enjoy the beauty of the human form, there are plenty of gratuitous moments of shirtlessness by every main male character and yes by the powers of television, they are all buffed and bronzed and will make you self conscious that you don't have that V-line. The only storyline that kind of bugs me is actually one of the main ones, the one between "Scott" and "Allison" and their blah blah blah romance that can't be because of his werewolfyness and her werewolfkiller-familyness. At first their courtship is cutesy and what you would expect from high schoolers but it seems to just drag on and on and on as the Season one episodes continued. I knew in my head that Season 2 would be more of the same which made me want to drive a hammer through my skull. The dialogue between the two characters is so mind numbing and it seems they slow the storylines down a lot just to focus on their relations.
As far as the DVDs go, its a must purchase. Season 1 is very inexpensive and comes loaded with cool extras including commentaries (yes I watch those) and featurettes. I enjoyed the DVD mocking the overly shirtless male leads in a special feature that highlight all the great shirtless moments. Another great thing about this show is its open acceptance of homosexuality and its embrace to a gay male character that is best friends of team captain Jackson. The show keeps up with the general beat of continuing acceptance of gay individuals and (though might be unrealistic) really respects the subject and has moments of fun with it. If you love this show, this DVD is a must have for your collection. Give the show a chance, if you are like me I know you will be reluctant, but I guarantee a few of you will end up loving it like I did.