Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on March 17, 2014
Full review at MetalArcade. net

Nickelodeon’s revival of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series has turned out to be an incredible success, with second and third seasons of the show ordered within weeks of the initial episode airing. It’s easy to see why, as the Turtles’ recipe of action, humor and charm has managed to stay fully intact with this reincarnation. Following up on their release of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Ultimate Showdown, which featured the final twelve episodes of Season One, Nick has released Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutagen Mayhem, collecting the first six episodes of Season Two.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutagen Mayhem’s six episodes showcase a great cast of voice talent. Featuring Jason Biggs (Leonardo), Rob Paulsen (Donatello – and the original Raphael from the 80s cartoon), Sean Astin (Raphael), Greg Cipes (Michelangelo), Kelly Hu (Karai) and Josh Peck (Casey Jones), everyone here does a solid job and fills their roles well. Peck makes his series debut on Mutagen Mayhem. Special mention needs to go to Hoon Lee and Kevin Michael Richardson, who are perfectly cast as the voices of Master Splinter and Shredder, respectively.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutagen Mayhem sees the four brothers rushing to recover 63 canisters of mutagen that have accidentally been dropped all over New York City. Unfortunately for them, new threats have already sprung up as a result of the ooze, and the Turtles come face to face with a number of them in this DVD set. “The Mutation Situation” sees the group becoming a bit over-confident in their abilities after defeating Shredder and the Kraang, but their celebration is cut short by the arrival of new enemies in NYC – including a mutated Mr. O’Neil, creating tension between April and the Turtles.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutagen Mayhem’s first episode,“Follow The Leader” has Leonardo struggling to keep his brothers in line, as they begin to disobey his orders. But when a new army of robot Foot soldiers enter the fray — able to predict and adapt to all of the Turtles’ moves — Leo learns that following orders isn’t always the best way to get things done, and that being unpredictable can have its perks. “Invasion of the Squirrelanoids” pits the Turtles against a terrifying new foe – mutant squirrels that reproduce inside a host, evolving into an even more horrifying form — an obvious homage to the classic Alien horror films. Frankly I found this episode, as well as “Mikey Gets Shellacne” – where Michelangelo rubs mutagen on himself and begins to mutate into essentially a giant zit — a bit too gross and disturbing for children. And the horror film references seem out of place to me — it’s not something the Turtles have been known for previously. And Casey Jones’ redesign — it’s definitely going to take a while to get used to. I’m used to a musclebound badass in a Jason mask, not a kid with a whole row of missing teeth that isn’t any bigger than April.

“Mutagen Man Unleashed” sees the transformation of the kid formerly known as The Pulverizer into Mutagen Man, who Donnie thinks may be the key to finding a cure for April’s father — a retro-mutagen. Unfortunately, Timmy is after April, and the Turtles have to team up with Casey Jones and employ some stealth and diversionary tactics to keep her safe. “Mikey Gets Shellacne” – while overall a pretty disgusting episode — sees the double-mutation of Dogpound into a much cooler, creepier, skeletal form, Rahzar (fans of the 80s movies will remember him). Finally, “Target: April O’Neil” has the Kraang and Karai sending a new robotic creation after April, and she gets closer to Casey while trying to avoid the Turtles as much as possible. But when Donnie and the Turtles save her once again, she realizes that she’s been treating them unfairly. As an aside, I really enjoy the shows that the Turtles watch, echoing what’s going on in their lives — last season it was Space Heroes, and Mutagen Mayhem sees the debut of a 70s Voltron-esque series.

Unfortunately, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutagen Mayhem is really light on extras, but that should be expected if you’ve picked up any of the previous releases. The standard “Mutation of a Scene” shorts are here, showcasing how an episode comes together from storyboards to rough CGI to final render. Besides six of those, there’s a very short extra titled “Channel 6 News Report: Creatures of the Night”, which features reporters talking about the mysterious sightings around town lately. I guess that the really good extras, like commentaries, cast interviews and full features are being saved for the eventual Blu-ray release.

Overall, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutagen Mayhem is a solid DVD set with six interesting, funny episodes, although a few of them weren’t quite my cup of tea and may be too disturbing for children. Still, it’s a strong collection for fans of the series, but you may want to watch the episodes and use your own discretion before letting your kids see them. A few more extras definitely wouldn’t hurt, either. While Mutagen Mayhem is likely my least favorite TMNT set released thus far on the whole, it’s still TMNT, and there’s no denying that the two hours of entertainment on display here is still leagues above most other kids’ TV shows today.
on April 17, 2014
Of course this series is awesome. I give it five stars. I just hate the way they release 1 disc at a time. And the fact that one disc only contains 6 episodes and some useless extras that aren't really interesting to watch. Not to mention they still haven't released a combined season one package. But I guess that's how they milk the money out of a good product.
on May 28, 2015
My boys love these shows. Nothing to worry about language or anything. Got to keep them from fighting each other and hurting each other when they roll play from the show but it's all it good fun. The story line is pretty good too. I always liked the TMNT movies when I was younger. You can see different things in the epidsodes such as Ho Chin from "Big Trouble Little China" making an appearance (don't know if that is in this series). Makes me laugh and even keeps my interest at times.
on April 15, 2014
My daughter loves these, I dont know why, but she does. These is the newest collection of the new verison of Ninja Turtles that is now on Nick. I personally preferr the older cartoon verisons myself.
on February 26, 2015
It's no different than Bruce Timm's DC Animated Universe, and you know what, that says a LOT coming from me! I loved the series, sure, it doesn't use guns, and has a TON of comedy, but so what, the show was an artistically accomplished achievement in story, characters, and surprises! I recommend this to families who enjoy action and comedy!
on August 22, 2014
my nephew loves ninja turtles and so does my brother and me. he ask me to get this dvd for him but only if he did good in school. can't wait to see the look on his face when I give this to him. its recommended for both girls and boys and fans of the turtles.
on January 31, 2015
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is my all time favorite TV show (including all the different series aside from The Next Mutation which no one really likes). Personally I feel this new Nickelodeon series is a fabulous edition to the TMNT franchise. Nick has taken out all the things I didn't like from the previous series and combined all the things I did like into one really cool show. I wasn't too sure about the animation style at first, but it grows on you rather quickly and now I actually rather like it. All in all, I highly recommend this series, particularly to fans of the previous series.
on April 8, 2014
I really enjoyed this release. 6 great episodes, lots of story progression and character development. Shellacne is probably my most favorite episode that's been released on DVD so far.

Casey Jones is also introduced. Took me a bit to adjust to him being younger, but the core of the character is totally intact.
on April 29, 2014
we like this show. Great for the boys.
Will probably get the next volume when it is released.
This is a great DVD featuring the first six episodes of Season 2 of the animated TMNT show. It features over two hours of non-stop Turtle action and adventures. Will they stop the villains? Will they find more trouble? My boys and I just recently watched the actual Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies and they are hooked now on the animated show since they have seen all the movies. This is great because we can watch it on our own time.