Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Black Friday Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

If you haven't bought your copy of IDW's TMNT Volume 1 yet and are still deciding between the paperback copy of the hardbound, the hardbound copy won't let you down. I don't own the paperback copy, so I can't do an accurate comparison, but I can tell you what exactly is in the hardbound copy: pure awesomeness.

The hardbound version is slightly taller than the IDW TMNT Ultimate Collection Series, although not as wide (about 3mm less) and definitely not as thick (it's only 4 issues, plus bonus, so understandable). Included is the first four issues of the new IDW series, 9 pages front and back of art (18 pages total, some are duplicate pieces shown in pencil sketch/B&W then in full color), then the first four issues of the new series again, but in blue pencil/black ink sketched in Kevin Eastman style complete with notes on the side (see photos above). Unlike the TMNT Ultimate Collection Series, it is not done full commentary style, which is not bad, but I kinda expected more. However, it was really neat to see the whole comic process and then compare it to the completed result. One thing I would definitely like to see more is of the artwork gallery. I follow a good number of the comic artists on, but it's a whole different thing to see the actual artwork on a book. It's amazing.

All in all, it's a nice reboot of the original Eastman and Laird series. I'm hoping to see more hardbound copies of the TMNT series by IDW in the future! Highly recommended for all my fellow turtle fans.
review image review image review image review image review image
on April 18, 2013
Its an excellent retelling of how the Ninja Turtles came about. Hoping Michael Bay follows this formula for the movie though I doubt it. Bastard.
VINE VOICEon June 29, 2012
Like many in their 20s, I grew up with the Ninja Turtles. The amount of toys I owned was rivaled by only my cousin. Of course, like many, I grew up with the TV show, though I owned a comic or two. Many years later, I regained an interest in comic books and picked up the 2009 reprint of the TMNT Collected Book Vol. One. After reading it, I wasn't impressed. The first few issues were fine, but then it got too bizarre (as if ninja turtles weren't bizarre enough). Perhaps it may have been because I read Watchmen and Usagi Yojimbo around the same time, but I didn't think Eastman and Laird's brain child wasn't that great. I began to think that maybe the series appealed to only children. Still, I finished the book, but it was set away after that.

But now there's a reboot.

There are so many reboots now of myriad franchises that I didn't give TMNT a second glance. But the first issue recently became free on comiXology, and I was almost out of comics, so I downloaded it. Boy, am I glad I did.

Because much of the universe, stories, and characters have been established in the Turtles' New York, the writers of the new series were able to make things fresh without changing too much (thank goodness the Turtles aren't aliens). The writers were able to utilize the wide array of characters to make more "logical sense" of the world, placing the creatures in a more modern era, and making it enthralling at the same time. If you're a Turtle fan, I'm sure you'll really enjoy the series, especially if you read the older comics. Even if you're not a fan, but at least familiar with them, you may nonetheless find this reboot engaging. The authors take full advantage of the older comics and change things in a way that fittingly works. Dare I say the reboot rivals the original?

As for the layout and art style itself, while some may not like the direction, I personally think it's great and fits the Ninja Turtles perfectly. Yes, there are some choppy areas in dialogue where more could've helped, as well as the addition of clearer narrative, but it seems to get the point across in the end. I'm eagerly anticipating the next volume.
on June 1, 2015
On a deserted block a street fight between two sets are taking place. One is led by an adult sized cat by the name of Old Hob, and the other is led by the talking rat Splinter whom is supported by his three Ninja Turtles. The battle is quick and although Splinter's side is victorious. They still leave as failures. -summary

I'm not going to debate whether the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were in dire need of a full reboot as far as the comic series was concerned. However, I will point out that I knew the comic franchise was in good hands when IDW mentioned they were going to debut the series again. IDW has done a splendid job rebooting classic series like these, that either made it to animated TV or got their start there. This newer take on TMNT definitely feels quite fresh yet familiar at the same time, as it retains the gritty and edgy personality of the Mirage Studio's series. This volume contains issues 1-4.

The plot follows the three Turtles Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Donatello, as they search for Raphael whom has gone missing. Their searches leads them into battles with Old Hob whom harbors a serious grudge against Splinter.

For starters, even if one hates the Ninja Turtles this is still a great series to sink some teeth in. This title is extremely welcoming to newbies of the comic whose only experiences are the animated shows and movies, as it features a new origin and still uses everything that came before as its pool source. Purists will definitely find their interest piqued as it goes on paying homage to the original series in different ways. The series moves at a real good pace keeping a steady dark tone.

The writing is very good at developing the characters personalities and drives, while at the same time keeping the plot interesting and providing background. The issues also works at quite a bit of world building setting things in motion with plenty of potential for great stories.

Visually, this book is shooting for a rugged and gritty feel to capture the dangers of the night time gang life in New York City. It seems as if this is a world meant only for the toughest. The action panels are not as brutal as the original series very first issue, but it does get the job done. There are some nice fisticuffs and maybe one gory moment. The grounded character designs fits properly for the style of the narrative; the use of backgrounds is something that stood out for me also. When it was time for action the static backgrounds helped focus on that, but when it was time to enhance the dark atmosphere, there was just enough detail to get the narrative's themes across.

Overall, I can't recommend this series enough to TMNT fans because since I'm up to date on this title, I can tell people that it does remain interesting and the ride feels worth it. To comic fans, definitely give this a shot because it can stand right beside some of Marvel's and DC's best. TMNT haters, well most of you guys hated the original TV show and some of the movies since they focused a lot more on comedy and not on action. This series blends them both quite well with more of a focus on hard hitting action. This is a comic series that many won't go wrong with trying out.

Pros: Fresh yet familiar take, solid pacing and nice artwork

Cons: May be too dark for those use to the campy feel of original TV series
on August 21, 2012
This collection gathers up the first 4 issue arc of the IDW re-launch, re-imagining of the classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles saga. It's meant to be placed next to the Ultimate TMNT collections that compile all the original stories by creators Eastman & Laird during the classic Mirage days. What makes this volume a bit underwhelming is that it adds as "bonus" content the pencil sketches to each of the 4 issues contained within. That is drastic overkill. This collection should've contained the first 4 new micro-series issues of the 4 Turtles with a handful of pencil sketch pages. For the MSRP it's overpriced for the content within. I got the book using a giftcard, utilizing reward points with the book already some 35% off MSRP. If you can get it in a similar manner it's "worth" paying under $20 for it but do not dare pay more than that as I see it.
on February 9, 2012
Haven't picked up this TPB, but I am avidly reading the monthly issues. I've been a TMNT since I can remember, and this series is definitely staying true to its roots.

To avoid spoilers I won't go into too much detail, but so far this series has done a great job of re-envisioning the classic characters with a bit of a spin on them. So far it has stayed more closely to the old Mirage comics (thankfully without a hint of going off on any sort of outer space tangents) but incorporates some ideas from the cartoons as well. There's a slightly new spin on the origin story, which I think it needed. This first story arc has a new mutant cat character as the main antagonist, but there are foundations being laid for some of the classic villains to come to the forefront as the TMNT find out more about who they are and how they came to be.

Fans will not be disappointed!
on July 15, 2014
This is a great start to a new series. I'm fairly new to comics and I always hate starting a book and figuring out there is a lot of material i need to read to get the most out of the story. Not here, You start at the beginning.

This storyline re imagines the turtles origins, and its for the better. This is my favorite version of the turtles. You won't be disappointed.
on June 24, 2014
An interesting reboot of the comic with one of the original creators. This definitely kept me interested and wanting to read on!
on June 10, 2012
The first comic book I ever bought was TMNT issue 2. I was at a tiny store in New Haven Connecticut called Bookworld looking for some more H.P. Lovecraft to read. I walked towards the back of the shop and on the back wall there was this poster. It was an alleyway and it just had to be in New York...and crouched in that alley were these four...THINGS...with red masks and sai swords and katanas and MAN they were just awesome. I stood there staring at them for five full minutes and then walked to the front counter, forgetting why I had come there in the first place.
"What are these Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?", I asked the clerk, jerking my thumb over my shoulder towards the poster in the back. The guy ducked down and disappeared for a couple seconds and stood back up with this box of what he called Indie and Underground Comics. I started thumbing through them and he had the first few TMNT issues, along with some other titles like The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, and Grimjack, and Scimidar, and a bunch more. I left the shop with every issue of TMNT, the poster from the back, all his Freak Brothers, about $60.00 worth of comics, but no Lovecraft book. That was how my lifelong addiction to comic books began.
Through the years I have seen many titles pop up and disappear, and seen many stand the test of time. I have also seen a few go through changes, get stale, disappear, and make a comeback. Deadworld did it, but that failed. The 4 brothers in the red masks have done it more than once and made a lot of people a lot of money I am guessing. Now, finally, after what?...twenty or thirty years?... they are really back! And this time they are back to their roots!! No futuristic silliness. No multi-colored masks. They are in New York City, in the sewers, and hiding from humanity. They are wearing the red masks again, and kicking tail and taking names! They are looking like they did and always should and the name Eastman is once again on the cover. And me? I feel like I did in that dark cramped little book store all those years ago. Like I have just bought something very special and very very cool. Change is Constant. Thats a great title for this collection of the first six new issues of their new comic. Once again Leonardo is the striving for perfection student of his Master. Michelangelo is the wise-cracking fun loving joker. Donatello is the intellectual quiet thinker. Raphael is the short tempered revenge driven hot head. Casey Jones is the kid with the brooklyn accent that likes to knock heads. April is the curious interloper that sympathises with the underdog. And Splinter is the ever wise all knowing voice of reason.
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are back! And if you are not along for the ride then I have to pity you for missing out on something really different, really butt-whupping, and really really fun!
on December 29, 2012
First and foremost, I was born in '82 so I Grew Up on TMNT from a young age! I had almost every TMNT action figure ever made as well as a vhs cartoon collction and all the TMNT movies. That being said, my favorite TMNT realm was the comics! I had a collection of Eastman & Laird turtles as well as 90% of the Archie Comics TMNT Adventures comics from the start of the series to the end.
I remember hearing about a new series of TMNT by some publisher id never heard of, IDW comics, and didn't give it a second thought as most comics series of the 2ks just didn't have the excitement, art or good read I remembered from the 80s and 90s. So I went on about my way restocking my collections of older comics without giving it a chance.
When I saw this TPB on and say the price (12$ and some change) I figured "why not", I had recently filled my collection with several Halo TPBs and was extremely inpressed, so I gave TMNT a shot and all I can say is "WOW"!! I order volume 1, 2, 3 and my mind was blown! The new reboot, and I'm extremely critical of reboots of orgins and characters I know and love from my childhood, was amazing! The story line and plots are Grade A! The art and ink is Phenominal! So impressed, and the Only thing I'm dissapointed in is that Volume 4 doesn't come out until Jan, and Volume 5 not until May!
So to ANYONE wanting to re-explore TMNT as well as new fans alike, you Will Not be dissapointed! Please check out this series! 5 star recommended from a true and tried TMNT fan for over 27 yrs+!