Published on September 1, 2010 by Kurtcobainlives2006

3.0 out of 5 stars After listening and listening I just could not get into it.
Published on August 7, 2010 by Benny Boom

5.0 out of 5 stars Silencing the Critics: How Rick Ross Created a Near Perfect album, September 1, 2010
This review is from: Teflon Don (Audio CD)
With this his forth official release Rick Ross aka the Teflon Don might just have scored his best yet. I must start by saying I wasn't even a fan of Rick Ross before this album. All I knew to be honest was he did the song Hustlin. That song doesn't even begin to compare however to any of the songs on this album. Beginning with I'm Not a Star which is basically three minutes of Ross patting himself on the back we get something entirely different. The samples are more soulful and the guests more in-tune with Ross and exactly what he wants. On Free Mason, Ross and Hova himself go back and forth, and Ross just might end up outscoring his friend and co-worker. With Tears of Joy, Ross delivers what could be his most "serious" song to date with a breathtaking chorus delivered by Cee-Lo. (This could easily be one of the best of 2010.) The rest of the album follows a similar path with spots from T.I. Jadakiss, Erykah Badu, Drake, Gucci Mane, and Kanye. The only real drawbacks to this album are the lack luster track with Diddy and that it seems to end too soon. With this album, Ross might have simultaneously silenced his critics, delivered one of the best rap albums in a year already overcrowded, and truly lived up to his title as "The Teflon Don." Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars "ME AND MONEY GOT A VENDETTA, LOOKING BACK, TO TELL THE TRUTH I COULD'VE DID BETTA", August 12, 2010
This review is from: Teflon Don (Audio CD)
Rick Ross doesn't care. He doesn't care who likes him. He doesn't care who hates his fast cars and fast women rap lifestyle. He's just going to keep making music that he loves. And if you don't like it, oh well. That's confident, cocky & arrogant all at the same time. But that's Rick Ross. And he has a right to be. No matter how much people clown him, he bounces back (the "Officer Ricky" scandal, the beef with 50, the lawsuit with the real Rick Ross) All of that has fed him and now he has dropped his best album so far, "Teflon Don".

"Teflon Don" is a good title for this album because just like John Gotti, nothing sticks to him. He keeps making street bangers and radio hits. Each of his albums has a hit song that gets heavy rotation in the clubs or radio. His first single "Super High", ft Ne-Yo is another radio hit (Similar to "Magnificent" from "Deeper Than Rap") Aston Martin Music", could possibly be another radio hit (I don't know why Drake is on here. He just sings a little on the chorus) As with every Rick Ross album there are a slew of guest appearances starting with Jay-Z on the solid track "Free Mason". Gucci Mane has no purpose on "MC Hammer". Neither does Styles P on "B.M.F (Blowin' Money Fast)". Both these songs are bangers but they sound so similar. They should not have been put back-to-back on the album. I don't know what he was aiming for on "Live Fast, Die Young", ft Kanye West. The same for "No. 1" with Diddy & Trey Songz. The epic "Maybach Music III", has the feel of a good movie. It has a sharp 16 from T.I. and a beautifully sung chorus by Erykah Badu. Jadakiss verse almost ruins the song but then there's a build-up that sets up Rick Ross that's perfect. This might be the best production I ever heard from J.U.S.T.I.C.E League.

Rick Ross must be reading my reviews. After my criticism of "Deeper Than Rap", he has improved in all the areas I burned him on. He has made an album that could have been classic. I think if he would have combined the top 5 songs of "Deeper Than Rap" and the top 6 songs of this album, he would have had a great album. His voice over a banging J.U.S.T.C.E. League track is dynamic. He still has that Mafioso bravado. That "Mayweather money, looking funny in the light" rap style. But this time we learn a little more about William Roberts. And no matter what you say to bring him down. No matter how many beefs he encounters. One thing is for sure, Rick Ross is living fast, spending money & loving his life. No matter if its real or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining album, July 23, 2010
This review is from: Teflon Don (Audio CD)
Let's get real here. Rick Ross isn't known for being a lyrical giant or anything like that. He has a occasionally punch line or two and that's it. The fact still remains this album is a good listen. Lyrically yes it's a 3 star album at best, but the end product is really really good. Fantastic for riding around, and letting the sub woofer cut loose. The best thing about the album is there is only 11 tracks which means it's short and to the point. Ross went with a very uncommon approach towards the beginning of the album. He starts if off slow and the albums momentum picks up as it goes along. Uncommon, but a very very good method it turns out. This being my first rick album I am satisfied with what I have. Music for a ground shaking ride down the street. Something I can bop my head to for most of the day. Hip Hop should be about more than who rhymes the best. It's about good music, and this is good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ross Keeps Getting Better!, July 21, 2010
SeanLau99 (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teflon Don (Audio CD)
Rick Ross is a wonderful throwback to the days when a new release from a hot artist meant something. In this era of peeps downloading music in Starbucks while texting friends and sipping on designer caffeine, this guy's album releases make big noise and he keeps getting better with each project. He really aims to please fans with his lyrical paintings, all-star guest lists, and brilliant beat selections. Teflon Don is gangsta fun from start to finish. My favorite bangers are Free Mason with Jay and Legend killing it, Maybach Music III with awesome flows by Tip and Jada plus lovely singing from Erykah Badu, Live Fast, Die Young where Rick and Kanye rip over an old school track, M.C. Hammer with Gucci, and the current Chi-Town street anthem, B.M.F. where Styles P shines at the tail-end of an already dope track. Drake and Chrisette Michele's shared hook duties on Aston Martin Music have instantly made it the album's most popular track and Raphael Saadiq adds a blessing to the final cut, All The Money In The World. I like the entire album but these songs are the ones bringing the ruckus for me right now. My only beef is that there are only 11 tracks. I know The Boss put together more jams than this. I feel an EP coming and I'll be rushing to buy it also. Teflon Don is great stuff. Get at it.

3.0 out of 5 stars After listening and listening I just could not get into it., August 7, 2010
This review is from: Teflon Don (Audio CD)
Almost 99 percent of the time I would tell anybody to ignore what they hear or read about online about an album unless you have physically listened to it over and over again but this time I will go as far to say believe what you hear and read about.I don't believe Rick Ross gave his all in this album and just put this together poorly.The beats are probably the best thing about this whole album and if he ever comes out with an instrumental version of this I will for sure be buying.Its like as he has dropped albums the quality has slowly decreased much like 50 Cents have as well.You can't just drop one bangin album and expect put in half the effort on the rest following and expect to stay on top catching peoples attention.He may have a few good songs on this album but as a whole it really is not pleasant to listen too.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Hip-Hop Needs...., July 20, 2010
This review is from: Teflon Don (Audio CD)
First off I would like to say this is what Hip-Hop Is missing. I do feel that he should of put Mafia Music 2 as the intro, but overall the album is a future classic. This album had more variety than Deeper than Rap; but dont get me wrong Deeper than Rap is a certified Classic. In deeper than rap it was all in one sound throughout the whole album, but I would of like to hear a couple more songs, he should of put Super high remix on their as well. This is an album you should definitely purchase if you like real music.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, December 26, 2012
Firecracker (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teflon Don (Audio CD)
I was excited about this album, and everyone said it was great, but I found it to be pretty un-exciting. The songs are repetetive, the tracks all sounds similar, and while there may be more lyrical quality here than on previous Ross albums, it's not by much.

5.0 out of 5 stars ricky rozay, July 27, 2010
This review is from: Teflon Don (Audio CD)
i love this album. although it has alot of features he proved to us again that he is at the top of the rap game. i love the fact he didnt back down from 50 like others. who let 50 bully them and fell off in a corner. he stood his ground and kept releasing good music along with great bars. His music is real laid back not too much. i love this album point blank period.

4.0 out of 5 stars The production tops 'Deeper Than Rap', keeps Rick Ross strong, August 22, 2010
This review is from: Teflon Don (Audio CD)
When I would listen to Trilla, I bumped a few tracks but I wasn't very taken back by Ricky Ross. Then, during the 50 Cent beef, we all found out about his correctional officer days, and I thought, "Wow, this dude is a joke. Whatever"... But then he dropped " Deeper Than Rap [Deluxe Edition][CD/DVD] ", which featured excellent production ("Rich Off Cocaine", "Valley Of Death") and killer guest appearances (Nas "Usual Suspects"; John Legend "Magnificent")...

But I really didn't think Officer Ricky would ever be able to top the "Deeper Than Rap" album, but it seems he has, with all thanks due to the production! Disregard track one, and skip to the heavy-hitter "Free Mason", which gives us a solid Ross verse, a lyrical massacre by Jay-Z, and a killer closing verse from John Legend.

"Tears of Joy" is another great track, again with thanks to production. Cee-Lo pretty much steals the show with his chorus... Similar to his prior attempt, Rick Ross still cannot top the original "Maybach Music", even with T.I. and Jadakiss on the song with him... You'll have a great time with "Live Fast Die Young" and "Superhigh", but unless you're at the club, you'll probably want to skip track seven "No. 1"... After that, Rick Ross gets his gangster on with "MC Hammer" and "BMF", where he claims he is both Big Meech AND Larry Hoover, along with a notable guest appearance from Styles P... Cool down with a great song "Aston Martin Music", which could have however been a MASTERPIECE if they had taken out Chrisette Michelle's part and replaced it with the long Drake hook, and the verse that would have stole the show on the entire album. (This version can be found online, or as a B-side.)

He'll keep you smiling with the closing track, "All The Money In The World"... Rick Ross, Rozay, Officer Ricky, whoever he is, he has done it again. Production saves the day... And I think I'm Big Meech, TOO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rozay...That's My Nickname!, July 21, 2010
This review is from: Teflon Don (Audio CD)
Since his ongoing feud with 50 Cent started in 2008, Rick Ross has been on a mission. And that mission was to become one of the best mc's in the game. I've always liked Rick Ross but I admit that he was not a powerhouse lyricist when he first came into the game with Port of Miami. He was a good rapper with occasional flashes of brilliance. However, on his 4th studio album Teflon Don, I'm not hesitant to call Rick Ross the best mc right now.

There's no doubt that Ricky Rozay is everywhere these days. Whether hanging with Diddy, forming supergroups, or hopping on the latest remix from everyone from Erykah Badu to Big Boi, there's no doubt the Rick Ross brand has grown significantly. Ever since 50 Cent set out to "destroy his life", it seems that he has done nothing but grow in popularity. Even through lawsuits (one vs. DJ Vlad and the other against Freeway Rick Ross (The Real Rick Ross)), he's managed to come out on top. Now with Teflon Don he aims to continue his dominance of the rap game.

About a month earlier Rick Ross released the Albert Anastasia EP. That contained great songs such as 300 Soldiers, Fire Hazard, Sweet Life ft. John Legend, and Money Maker and was the surprise EP/Mixtape of the year (so far) easily trumping T.I.'s Eff A Mixtape which dropped on the same day. That EP also contained the songs BMF (Blowin Money Fast) ft. Styles P and MC Hammer. These songs became summer anthems especially BMF. Currently you can't go anywhere without someone thinking they are Big Meech or Larry Hoover. In response, those songs appeared on the album although slightly altered. MC Hammer now features Gucci Mane and BMF has a slight variation in the beat.

After that mixtape, anticipation for the album grew substantially. Dubbed as "the biggest release of the year" and "his best album to date" many were still skeptical. That doubt is all but removed now as the 11 track album is indeed one of the best albums released this year.

Guests include headliners in every sense of the word. Jay-Z, Kanye West, Diddy, T.I., Cee-Lo Green (yes that Cee-Lo Green), Erykah Badu, Jadakiss, Drake, Raphael Saadiq, Trey Songz, Gucci Mane, Chrisette Michele and Styles P. There are many features on this album and you would think it would make the album bogged down and feel more like a compilation. However this is not the case. Each feature works beautifully and only moves to enhance the song rather than take it over. Rick Ross performs extremely well lyrically on every song so there's no fall off there. Production is provided by Justice League, The Inkredibles, No ID, Kanye, Lex Luger, & The Olympicks.

I simply cannot decide my favorite song on this album. BMF is just stupid (in a good way), Maybach Music III is a triumphant end to the trilogy, Aston Martin Music is so well performed and constructed and is a masterpiece, Super High is another feel good classic summer tune and on and on. The Super High video was produced by F. Gary Gray and starred Stacey Dash. The only song I'm not feeling is No. 1 ft. Trey Songz & Diddy. It's just not up to par with the rest of the album and feels like Diddy forced him to put that on there.

I do believe Rick Ross has outdone himself with Teflon Don and is one of the top albums of the year along with Sir Luscious Left Foot and Pilot Talk. Do yourself a favor and pick up Teflon Don. You won't be disappointed.

*Also track down the Super High (Sativa Remix) ft. Curren$y and Wiz Khalifa, Teflon Don Freestyle, the itunes bonus track Audio Meth ft. Raekwon, and Mafia Music Pt. 2 ft. Chrisette Michelle for added goodness. There's also an extended version to Aston Martin Music that contains a verse from Drake instead of just hook work.*

Teflon Don
Teflon Don by Rick Ross (Audio CD - 2010)