Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

VINE VOICEon December 19, 2011
We bought these for our niece's 1st birthday last month and her parents are raving about Tegu blocks. I was sold on these when I saw them at a local toy store on display. The building blocks' internal magnets are strong enough to withstand bumps without crashing to the floor, yet they are easy enough for a toddler to pull apart. Our niece really enjoys using the refrigerator as a magnetic canvas, placing the blocks in new and interesting ways. I can almost see the wheels turning in her little head. The water-based dyes are safe for children, an important feature since I knew the blocks would often end up in her mouth. Don't be fooled by this toy's simplicity; it promotes open-ended play for toddlers, children and even curious adults. Recommended.
on October 7, 2012
Tegu blocks are simple and yet complex at the same time. You can't stack them up and stand back. These unique wooden blocks are magnetic. That one characteristic is what makes this set fun, addictive and confounding all at the same time.
Since the blocks are magnetic, they can only go together in certain ways. This makes building exciting and sometimes surprising. You have one piece you are dying to attach to your creation, but as you near it, the piece in your hand pops off and attaches itself! Or the piece tries desperately to turn around so it can attach properly! These blocks are alive :)
Tegu is magnetic in more than one way: I just can't put them down!

[...]
on March 8, 2013
This toy is a blast for kids - even for the adults who get to play with them. The blocks are of the highest quality and design that one might almost think Steve Jobs made them. Except, unlike every toy on the market, this one has no batteries. The blocks are super smooth and safe; no parts to swallow. Our toddler loves them. But it is my almost seven-year-old who is most impressed. The blocks keep her attention. She races home from school to play with them. They are magnetized so that each end has a polar opposite. You can do things with these blocks that you cannot do with regular blocks. It makes constructing towers and robots exciting because they seem to defy gravity. The parts almost float and move. They snap together. We make a helicopter and can spin the block and it will stay on because of the magnets. The design options are endless and the educational questions about how magnets work pop up naturally.

My sister sent us the Tinted blocks for Christmas. I thought that I would get some for a child's birthday. I am surprised there are not more reviews here. I know the price makes one wonder if the blocks are worth it, and as a Mother, I am telling you- they are this good. The tinted blocks' dye is water-based and completely non-toxic. It does not have that strange flaky quality you see on the China-based blocks. The company produces these in Honduras on purpose to support one of the poorest countries in the world. So that is very good. I am a former sixth-grade teacher and I when I return to teaching, when my littlest one is in first grade, I will have these in my classroom for the kids to use after finishing their work. It is the kind of activity that a person wants their children to mess with because playtime includes imagination, construction, and wondering what else one could do with the blocks. I am hooked. This should be toy of the year.

Thanks! Gina B., M.Ed
on December 26, 2012
Because of the way magnets attract and repel, this set is very limited in the number of designs that can be created. Blocks can not just be arranged as you want.
on August 6, 2013
These are even more beautiful than the look on the screen - so smooth, too! It's just that I can't justify to myself having spent what we did on them (which was forty bucks), even when I know about all the company's amazing attributes. They are definitely unique and interesting to our almost 3 year old, but we could have gotten a lot more for the $. Also, maybe it's just our set, but on the box, there's this picture of this really cool robot thing you can make - but the magnets on some of the blocks just don't attract the way you need them to to make the picture (and we've tried flipping them around in every possible direction). Very strange and frustrating (for me). My almost 3 year old will play with these for about 10 minutes before moving on. She loves metromags and magformers though so much, but of course, every child is different (and my sister's 8 year old seemed pretty interested in these, so maybe my daughter will grow into them). I wouldn't buy them again at this price though, for sure.
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2012
Purchased for a three year old grandson who loves to build! Well-built with a nice variety of colors and shapes!
on January 9, 2014
I love them. Just wish there was more magnets. The long ones need more magnets so you can have more flexibility
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2012
I think my husband has played with this more often than my four-year old son. As other reviewers mentioned, the magnetism initially seemed like a good idea however it limited the things he could make with the blocks. For example, the long flat rectangle has only three places where other blocks can attach: the ends and the exact middle. The other places are wasted as nothing really sticks there.

I also wish there were more shapes; all you have are rectangles. How cool would the set be if it had circles, squares, triangles and such?

The blocks are well made but are light weight; for something so expensive I thought there would be more heft to them. But by far the biggest disappointment is my son has only played with it once and has shown no interest in playing with it again. Hopefully he'll enjoy it more when he's older.
on March 9, 2014
I bought these just before we took our first airplane trip with our 2 year old. They were perfect to use while we traveled and kept her entertained for hours. This set is great starter set, but we will definitely be getting more as we love to play with this set.
on June 26, 2014
I really like this toy, love playing with my daughter. The only problem so far is that the paint is cracking just a bit in a few pieces after a month of use.

It would be amazing if the larger blocks could connect on the sides too!