Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
asked by Gordon Freeman on July 16, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
No, sorry -- there are still no teleconverters available that will fit EF-S lenses like your 55-250mm.
Technology Guy answered on February 23, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I also have the canon 55-250mm and was shopping for a Kenko Teleconverter. Am I understanding correctly, that if I don't mind manually focusing, it still might work?
Lisa Ceaser answered on February 23, 2011

A
Gordon Freeman answered on July 19, 2009

A
You mean the 500mm Opteka mirror lens? Was NOT happy with this one on a digital SLR. The shiny camera sensor causes internal reflections making it look like you're shooting through thick fog.

You know, the 55-250 on the T1i at 250mm is actually giving you the same telephoto maginification as a 400mm lens would have on your old film camera so its not all that bad. BTW, if you still have your old Pentax lenses, you CAN mount them on the T1i with an inexpensive adapter.
Technology Guy answered on July 17, 2009

A
Gordon Freeman answered on July 17, 2009

A

A
Gordon Freeman says: Like you said, I'll have to live with what I've got... until I can pony up $1500+ for Canon's 100-400mm zoom.

Or just under $1K for the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM, which holds up very well in comparison to the Canon 100-400mm.
Tom Martin answered on July 17, 2009

A
Thanks, Tech. Funny that teleconverters are available for so many other size lenses but not this one. I could have lived with a 1.4x. Like you said, I'll have to live with what I've got... until I can pony up $1500+ for Canon's 100-400mm zoom.

I guess I'd better plan on having a good number of 8mb and 16mb cards with me and shoot JPEG and RAW so I can seriously crop and/or enlarge the best shots (which will be many if the weather is good). I want some 20" x 30" or 24" x 36" posters from what I'm shooting. A telecoverter would have helped.
Gordon Freeman answered on July 17, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Sorry, there are no teleconverters for EF-S lenses available in the US that I'm aware of. I've heard rumors of EF-S compatible (Kenko?) teleconverters from Hong Kong but I still haven't been able to verify. Either way, its likely that a teleconverter with the 55-250 wouldn't be much, if any, better than simply cropping the image (might as well put the T1i's extra megapixels to good use). Plus a 1.4X teleconverter would add a stop and a 2X would add 2 stops putting your lens' aperture above f5.6, the minimum needed for auto-focus to function.
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product