5.0 out of 5 stars A Milestone of Epic Proportions
Published on September 9, 2011 by LANI

2.0 out of 5 stars Less is more
My friend had lent me her kindle to read this book. As I am samoan, I thought that this would be a great introduction into the world of e-reading. Sadly, I have to say that I didn't much enjoy this book at all. Don't get me wrong, the story itself is brilliant and would be perfect for the silver screen. It has all the elements of a story that would have the average...
Published on January 15, 2012 by Mrs Aloysius

5.0 out of 5 stars A Milestone of Epic Proportions, September 9, 2011
LANI (SALT LAKE CITY, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Telesa - The Covenant Keeper (The Telesa Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This young adult fiction is the first of its kind being that it is written about Samoans with supernatural powers and by someone of Samoan descent. A milestone never reached thus far by any Samoan (and quite possibly any Polynesian for that matter). Wendt is an amazing descriptive writer and always places the reader in each scene. The love story between the two main characters Leila and Daniel) is sure to please the avid romance reader and leaves you wanting more. Here's an excerpt from her book: "Against my will his beauty took my breath away. He was tall enough that I was sure even my 5'11 height would have to crane up to look in his startling emerald green eyes. Red and gold in the morning sunlight with thick raven brows, one of them flecked with a slight scar, his tousled burnished red-brown hair...He was broad but lean, like a rippling basketball player." A page turner that will have you hooked from the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars SWEPT ME AWAY, September 10, 2011
This book totally swept me away. I was apprehensive as to what to expect and was totally blown away at how brilliantly Lani depicted the wonderful myth I was told when i was young. Bought it to life and I found myself talking sometimes screaming at the book "NOOOO!" "GET UP!" "Nawww" "YEAHHHH" lol. Such a wonderful book, Made me proud to be Samoan.

I think I fell in love with Leila and Daniels love as much as they fell in love with each other lol as corny and silly as that sounds ... Congratulations Lani you are truly a wonderful Samoan writer ... You make Samoa proud and make other Samoans proud to be Samoan just cause your writing its obvious the love you have with your culture and with your island and its people Mostly you just made Samoa sound so desireable and delicious I didnt think that was possible lol... GOod for you Lani and keep up the good work. Cant wait for March 2012 ... Hoping secretly someone with a creative and brilliant mind will put this to a movie cause I think "Watch out Twilight" !!! lol !!! WELL DONE LANI !!! Lome from Melbourne Australia !!! (newest adoring fan)
PS. I think I found the best Christmas present for all my girlfriends !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start to a new Series!, November 1, 2011
Sweet Falene (Northern Climes) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up becuase my grandparents spent two years in Samoa as missionaries and so the country has always, in a sense, been a part of our family history though we ourselves are not Samoan. Reading Telesa though has allowed me to feel as if I have been to Samoa and have experienced it myself.

The main character, Leila, was great, prickly and very likable despite her owly behaviour as her driving force is to find a place where she fits, where she can call home. The love story between Leila and Daniel is sweet and very believable (though there are times that if I were Daniel I would have socked her one right in the nose!) and the relationship Leila has with her mother Nafanua is so well done.

I give this book a solid 4.5 stars, only docking a little because I found that the first portion of the book was a bit slow for my taste, though I do understand the need to build a foundation for a story, it still took a bit too long to grab me. But once it did! Wow, could not put it down!!

Very much looking forward to the sequel in march of 2012 and highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy 5 stars from me, August 24, 2011
It's 5:15am in Hawaii and just now finished the book. What a great read! I laughed, I cried, I felt sad and I even daydreamed along with Leila at the mere mention of Daniel. I downloaded the ebook on the kindle app on my Iphone and I couldn't put it down. I read while breastfeeding my baby in the middle of the night, read while he's asleep, read while on lunch break and I even found myself sneaking to the back room in my office so I can continue reading. It was an easy and fun read and I was NEVER bored. Simone's character had me cracking up. I can see this book turned into a movie. Job WELL DONE Lani!!!5stars from me. Awesome stuff. Now hurry up with the 2nd book will ya?

5.0 out of 5 stars it set fire to the rain;)., May 20, 2012
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I love the twist that Lani puts on the Telesa. Writing them as beautiful, ageless-yet-mortal, intelligent, environmental advocates/protectors is genius!.

I love all of the characters! Daniel is respectful, smart, selfless, and super hot from head to toe; BUT not likely to exist in real life (Shocking!;). Simone is a fun, blunt, confident, sexy;), gender-neutral character who you are LIKELY to meet in Samoa. Jason is a gorgeous and nerdy surfer boy (is that even possible?), and Leila is a culturally-deprived-American-raised Samoan girl who bursts into flames (literally) when she's "hormonal" (can you tell I'm trying to keep this review G-rated?).

The story's cute and the author does a great job in keeping the reader engaged. I guarantee that you will find yourself unable to put it down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and compelling, April 15, 2012
I wasn't sure if I would enjoy this type of book with the paranormal powers, etc. But I got caught up in the story line, and was hooked. I did think things bogged down in the middle of the book, contrary to some other reviewers who felt it had a slow start. I was ok with the pace of the book in the beginning, as characters were created, background and setting were established, and the hints of what to come were dropped. But the frequent repetition of details and actions was becoming tedious, and I kept looking at the % read, hoping the end was in sight. Finally, the action and events picked up again, and the book again was demanding 'just one more page' before I set the Kindle down.

I realize the author intends to set up a draw to purchase the next book, but I was not happy with how the ending was handled. Yes, there were some major occurrences (I do not post spoilers) that took care of some things, but there were entirely too many loose ends, and unresolved issues at the end of the book. For as much time as I had invested in reading it, I did not expect the ending to be cut as if Leila had chopped it off with her machete.

Another comment is on the excerpt from "When Water Burns". The same careful editing was not applied on this sample, with many typos. Things like "Daniels truck" when it should be a possessive "Daniel's truck". But the one that stopped my reading like a speed bump over and over again was the lack of a space after a period.It can be very distracting. But I will venture this still needs the editor and proofreader's touch before it is published.

I didn't intend this to sound like a negative review, because I still rated it as a 4. If the ending hadn't been so abrupt, the rating would have been a 5. Many others have sung praises of the book, and they are mostly correct - a well written, captivating book that I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon don't know what hit them!!!, December 19, 2011
I don't recommend reading during work hours because you might lose your job. I wouldn't know what to tell anyone if I had gotten fired over hiding in the office and reading a book, that would be embarrassing...LOL I did download the digital copy on my iphone and ordered the hard copy. I couldn't wait for the mail and Thank You Technology I read it in a week!! I don't like reading on my iphone because its so small but I couldn't put my phone down. I was reading every chance I got and even during breaks. If I had just a minute or two I was caught glancing at my phone.

What I loved about the book was it was hilarious. What an awesome character that Simone. I could see some of my friends in the book. I know you don't expect a book to be so witty but Samoans are natural comedians and the wit and sarcasm was captured. I was in love with Leila and Daniels Love story. I was reminiscing as the aspects of the Samoan culture were depicted brilliantly. I absolutely love Lani Wendt Young and her work. I can't wait for the second installment. Where ever I am in the world I am going to own a copy as soon as it drops. Amazon don't know what hit them! I am definitely working on the fan base here in Laie. I feel like I am sharing my childhood with people who would never begin to understand why I am in love with Samoa. I hope the whole world reads it and loves it as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars one word - AMAZEBALLS!! oh wait, that's 2 words stuck together. AMAZEBALLS nonetheless., November 27, 2011
I know people say this all the time, but believe me when i say that Telesa:The Covenant Keeper is the BEST BOOK I'VE READ IN A LONG TIME. Maybe even EVER! I felt such a connection to the characters and it's so well written that having to put the book down to run everyday errands was actually kinda painful. The book is set in Samoa, and I grew up there but moved overseas some time ago, and reading Telesa made me feel like i was right back home at home in Apia. sigh..

Lani Wendt Young did an AMAZING job in making the characters real and relatable, and making imaginary characters real AND relatable isn't easy. Trust me. I've tried.

So yes, Telesa: The Covenant Keeper is definitely one for the living room bookshelf, because you WILL read it over and over again. I've read it 4 times. That's just how good it is!
So go ahead, buy it, read it, love it.
I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found myself in love with Samoa all over again, November 25, 2011
An awesome read! A modern day love story with old traditions. You will fall in love with all the characters and Samoa. Dig in and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, December 4, 2012
I absolutely loved this book! I don't write too many reviews, but I had to give this one 5 stars!! Wonderful characters, beautifully written, and very intriguing! Buy this book, its worth the money!

Rate and Discover Movies