on July 1, 2001
Format: Hardcover
As a mystery writer with my first novel in its initial release, I have noticed that Harlan Coben has had a mighty high profile at every recent mystery convention I have participated in as an author. He has been guest honor, toastmaster, charity auctioneer, and participant on the most popular author panels. His recnt work, TELL NO ONE, perfectly illustrates the reason for this fine author's enormous popularity. TELL NO ONE, a stand-alone thriller, involves a man named David Beck who has rebuilt his life following the murder of his wife, who also happened to be his childhood sweetheart. As David continues to attempt to move on from his great personal tragedy, suggestions arise that unanswered questions involving his wife's death can still be answered. David sets out to answer those questions in this most fulfilling thriller. TELL NO ONE is a great book, and Harlan Coben proves his literary range stretches far beyond his popular series set-up. I recommend this book heartily.
on July 19, 2001
Format: Hardcover
David Beck thought his wife was murdered eight years ago, the victim of a serial killer. Then an anonymous email arrives which suggests that, just possibly, she's still alive. To add to the intrigue, the murder case is reopened and Beck is now the FBI's main suspect. The action takes off when Beck becomes a fugitive and is not only pursued by the police, but also by a bunch of thugs intent on silencing him for good - and how on earth do those blokes come into it?. All the while, he tries to meet up with the mystery correspondent, not an easy task when it seems his every move is monitored.
I found this to be one of those books that seems a lot shorter than it actually is because the action is non-stop, you barely have time to get over one near miss when you're confronted with some other danger or a new piece of the puzzle is put into place. It's a compelling book thanks to the mystery surrounding the death of Elizabeth Back, wife of David Beck. This was one of the more enjoyable books I've read this year and rate it very highly purely on its ability to entertain.
on June 17, 2002
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Dr. David Beck survived that horrible night eight years ago. The same night his wife was abducted and he was left for dead. The same night he looked upon the face of his beautiful wife for the last time. Everyone tells him to begin his life again in order to erase the heartbreaking memories of the past but for Dr.Beck this is an impossible task.
A message appears on his computer with a phrase that only his dead wife would know. Is Elizabeth alive? Beck as been warned to tell no one. He flees from those he trusts and dives deeper and deeper into a pool filtered with a deadly secret.
The author carries his reader along with the finesse of a circus clown dangling candy before a crowd of children. I could not turn the pages quickly enough while adhered to my seat. This story was well written and flowed like a river to the very last sentence. As soon as I read the final page, I closed the book, sighed with a smile, and then took my patient puppies out for a walk. I look forward with much anticipation to reading another acclaimed novel by Harlan Coben.
on March 29, 2002
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I just had my wisdom teeth pulled and I was having problems falling asleep. I was laying there thinking about the pain. So I got up and took a couple Tylenol PM. That should've worked and probably would have had I not started reading "Tell No One." I soon forgot about the pain and sleep altogether. Next thing I knew it was 4:00 am.
I am usually not a fan of mysteries and other genre fiction. I tend to like reading what would be called "literature." This book has made me doubt myself.
I won't tell you what happens at all (read it yourself), but I will tell you that of the 20-25 people who work at my bookstore, 6 have read this book and all 6 consider it one of the best BOOKS they've read in years. These are people who read 3-5 books a month.
Highly Recommended
on June 25, 2001
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Mr. Coben outdid himself this time! This novel had more twists and turns than a mountain road. Before you even read the first page, you might as well resign yourself to the fact that you won't move until you finish it.
I was somewhat disappointed to find that Mr. Coben's book was not about Myron Bolitar as I had become very fond of him. Tell No One, however, is Mr. Coben's best story yet. Halfway through this book, I was asking, "Myron Who?"
Imagine having your wife be your best friend since the age of seven and after a few months of marriage, she is dead. Eight years later you are still mourning her death only to find that she might not really be dead. Everywhere you turn to discover the truth, you are met with roadblocks and dishonesty. Nothing is what is seems and no one is who you thought they were. Friends aren't necessarily and help comes from the oddest places. The plot is so interwoven that you really need to read it with little or no knowledge just so you can enjoy the ride, and it is quite a ride - right up to the last page. The character development is outstanding. This is a book where you really have feelings about all of the characters - maybe not all are favorable, but feelings, nonetheless.
Anyone who enjoys a fast-paced mystery filled with intrigue and surprise must read Tell No One. If you haven't read any of Coben's other books, you might even want to spend the rest of the summer with them. You won't be disappointed and you certainly won't be bored. I will be waiting with great anticipation for his next book.
Format: Mass Market Paperback
I really enjoyed this book, I found that I could not put it down. It is a great story, something exciting going on chapter to chapter. I have never read any of Mr.Coben's books before, but this one had such great reviews, I thought I would try it. Well, I loved it. I have spent all afternoon reading it,ignoring my housework, the phone and the doorbell.(Thank goodness for caller I.D.!)
Anyway, if you want an exciting thrill ride, read this book, although I do have one small complaint. At the end there is something that I think needed a little more explanation. But it doesn't really take anything away from the book as a whole, so enjoy!
on August 12, 2002
Format: Hardcover
A decent junk food read, I suppose, although most of it was half-baked. The ending annoyed me, as did most of the characterizations and the implausibility of major parts of the plot. Regarding the characters and the author's mini-dissertations throughout: Was the author trying to be PC and instructive rather than horribly condescending? My ambivalence toward the book was there from start to finish--I did turn the pages to see what happened, and then I felt manipulated and disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 18, 2001
Format: Hardcover
This book was returned to me by mistake (I don't own a copy), but after reading a couple of pages, I was hooked, and I read the book before returning it to the real owner. David Beck married his childhood sweetheart, after a storybook romance. But on their wedding anniversary, she is abducted and he is assaulted. A short time later, her body is found, dumped on the side of the road and mutilated, an apparent victim of the serial killer "KillRoy."
Eight years later, Beck is a doctor working at a low-income clinic. He treats the children of prostitutes and drug-dealers, and cares for his grandfather, who suffers from Alzheimer's. But Beck has never forgotten Elizabeth. When he gets a mysterious e-mail on their anniversary, "D.B. + E.P. /////////////////////" he is floored. Only Elizabeth would know the meaning of such a message. Could she be alive?
Suddenly Beck finds himself wrapped up in a gut-twisting, heart-pounding race to find his wife before the noose tightens around his own neck. Because for some reason, after eight years of believing KillRoy murdered Elizabeth Beck, the FBI is questioning her husband. Not only that, but when he goes to his father-in-law for answers, he gets only more questions. And now an old friend has been murdered, and someone is framing Beck.
My two main complaints about this book: 1. The point-of-view switching is a little confusing; however, after the first switch, I began to expect them, and it wasn't too difficult to follow. 2. This is my real complaint--there wasn't enough build-up to the twist at the end. Yes, there was a little (very little) foreshadowing. I would have preferred a little more. The reader gets a pretty intimate look inside Beck's mind, and I felt blindsided by the revelations at the end.
I would still recommend this to anyone who isn't squeamish (innocent characters do die, painfully) and who loves the mystery/suspense genre.
on June 30, 2008
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Dr. David Beck's wife was murdered by a serial killer, and he was beaten and left for dead, on the shores of Lake Charmaine, a place the husband and wife visit, every year, on the anniversary of when they first met.

Eight years later, and Beck is still trying to come to terms with the loss of his wife. He receives a mysterious email, which turns his world upside down once again, as it seems to strongly suggest that his wife is not dead after all.

I found this book an enjoyable read, as Beck discovers one clue, and then another, in the bid to find out what exactly happened to his wife, eight years earlier, on that fateful night. The twists come thick and fast towards the ending, which, I thought could have possible been a bit better. Overall, though, a pretty good story.
on April 8, 2006
Format: Mass Market Paperback
While reading this book I kept seeing it as so many of the movie thrillers that are out today. You spend a lot of money and walk out feeling like you have been ripped off, which, indeed you have been. On a positive note, I checked this book out from the library and didnt buy it.

The reason I give it 2 stars instead of 1 is because I actually finished it and there was something that made me want to see how the whole bloody mess would finally end. What an unbelievable plot, flimsey characters and mediocre (at best!!) writing style.

If you enjoy books that have some element of style and depth and memorable characters, then dont bother with this book. If you like poorly written books, with characters you could care less about then this may be the book for you.

Im still shaking my head over all the positive reviews that made me want to read this book in the first place. I just dont get it!!!