5.0 out of 5 stars On TV and in a Book
Published on September 13, 2004 by richieob

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Had liked Konik's earlier book and so I was excited to read this one. It's slow, tedious, boring and not worth the price of admission. I am giving the book two stars because one or two of the articles were "fair" and even had a surprise or two buried among the hashed-over stories. If you know anything about gambling, you will not be surprised or enlightened by...
Published on July 7, 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars On TV and in a Book, September 13, 2004
This review is from: Telling Lies and Getting Paid: Gambling Stories (Paperback)
Been watching Mr. Konik on television for months now and didn't put two-and two together and realize he's the writer of one of my favorite poker/gambling books. Saw him on a show recently and they mentioned something about "telling lies and getting paid" and I was like, wait a minute! Sure enough. Same guy. If you watch Konik on the poker shows on TV you know how good he is at talking about the game for people of all abilities. His books are like him on TV. I would say they're very thoughtful and a liitle provocative. Funny, also. If you don't like Konik on TV you probably won't like his books. If you do like him you're going to love reading his stuff. It's like having a private conversation with a smart friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the Numbers, March 5, 2005
Konik's viewpoint on gambling goes betond the numbers and into the psychology and emotions that drive serious players. Many of the stories are about professional gamblers. These are pretty fantastic. My favorite however is about "Telling Lies and Getting Paid," which is a story about Konik's attempts to win the World Series of Poker, which obvioulsy he doesn't do or else he wouldn't be on the sidelines talking about the game on Fox television instead of playing in it! He's a very good writer, maybe in the top three. This is a must for anyone building their gambling book library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real, January 27, 2005
cantor (Denton, TX) - See all my reviews
Konik knows what he's talking about when it comes to gambling and poker. The stories in this collection are easier to believe than the first one (Man With Breasts) and they're a little more edgy and a little cynical, which you'd expect from someone whose been around the block a few times like the author, who I watch on the poker broadcasts. What can I say? The guy's a great writer with great material. A "must" for the gambling library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Brilliant, April 1, 2004
Normally I'm not one to post reviews on the Internet but this book is so good I had to write something. I noticed some other reviwer who is probably a failed author himself make some snide comment about Mr. Konik being a poor writer who would not impress people with a "New Yorker" sensibility. Well, people I've been a New Yorker reader since before the Internet was invented, and I can tell you the author Michael Konik is as elegant and incisive as they come. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've read his work in the New Yorker over the years. Anyhow, low-stakes gambling is one of my favorite pastime. I'm an amatuer but I play regularly in a Wednesday night card game that's been going on and off for about 30 years, so I feel uniquely qualified to say that this is the best POKER book I've ever read. I was less interested in the other gambling stories, although they are admittedly very well-written.
If you're like me and enjoy both gambling and utterly brilliant writing, then I recommend this book with the highest praise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Like It Out There, June 6, 2004
By A Customer
Warning. This book which is the second Konik collection of true gambling stories, is NOT a how-to-play textbook. The funny thing is I found myself learning more about how to gamble well the more I read the book which I have done twice now. The author gets deep into the psychology of gamblers but not in a dry sort of "what's wrong with these people" approach but with a expert reporters eye for details and characters. There are some fascinating characters in "Telling Lies and Getting Paid" although none of them quite matches the wierd guy in "Man With the $100,000 (...)" for craziness. The most fascinating "character" is the writer himself who plays in the World Series of Poker. This story, which is more like a short novel is worth buying the book alone. It's amazing. There's nothing like it out there at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thankful For This Book, October 4, 2004
raffi (springfield, ma) - See all my reviews
I did not become a better poker player after reading this book because it did not cover any sort of strategy for the game. (I knew this when I bought it). I purchased this book hoping it would have some of the humor and creativity the author shows on his regular Tv appearances and it certainly did. Even more nice however, was what I would call the humanity of the writing. It's very honest. Sometimes it is painfully honest especially if like me you have been the victim of someone lying to you. Haven't we all? Mister Konik is an excellent writer and a very smart person. As I said, I didn't come away from "Telling Lies" feeling like I was a better poker player but I feel like I came away a better person. Read it and you'll see what I mean. It's a great book. Thanks for your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, July 29, 2003
By A Customer
The topic of gambling has been written about very badly by many many writers. Those of us who like to play cards but get easily bored with starting position requirements for Hold 'em hands have been waiting for books like this one. Konik's first collection of gambling stories was extermely entertaining. This one takes it to a whole new level. There is an honesty here that is almost embarassing to read, but you can't make yourself stop. I've personally read the title story about the author's participation in the World Series three times and each time I find something new and eye-opening. I don't know if this is the best essay I've ever read or the best gambling story or what but I know this is some kind of masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong Stuff, June 29, 2006
No you won't learn how to play a small pair in early position from this book. This is all about the psychology and emotions of gambling. Konik is probably the best writer of all the gambling pundits when it comes to telling it like it is warts and all. A very honest book. You gotta feel for the guy even if he seems to get more women than the average poker player. He knows he's not that great of a player. He belongs on T.V. talking about the game not playing it.

The shorter stories about sports and blackjack are highly educational and amusing. Good chapter about "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

This is the kind of book you can dip into a few chapters at a time in between watching Konik on T.V. acting like he knows what he's talking about. Mr. Konik, stick to writing. You're the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyable, February 21, 2004
By A Customer
I read this book in two sittings. It's very hard to put down. The starting stories are short. The main story about the World Series of Poker is long and intense. There's not a lot of How To information in this book. Like the title says, it's stories. They are highly entertaining stories and they are written very cleverly. The only other book I have that's like this is Mr. Konik's book about the Man With the Breasts, which also has many entertaining stories aboput gambling. I can't imagine anyone who likes gambling not enjoying this excellent collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books I've Ever Read, June 15, 2006
I was interested in this book after seeing the author on numerous television shows about gambling. Michael Konik has always been one of my favorite commentators about poker. He brings articulateness and humor to the game. I found these qualities in his writing. Some of his writing is laugh outloud funny and some of it is quite serious. He is more eloquent in print than he is on TV. "Telling Lies" is an incredible piece of writing. It's brutally honest almost painfully honest. I felt for the guy showing so much vulnerability. What's really great about this book is that it's about gambling and poker but it can be enjoyed by readers who don't have a lot of interest in those subjects. That's how good the writing is. A classic.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Telling Lies and Getting Paid: Gambling Stories
Telling Lies and Getting Paid: Gambling Stories by Michael Konik (Paperback - December 1, 2002)
Used & New from: $0.01