Ooma Core VoIP Phone System
Used & New from: $199.00
Telo vs Ooma I'm ready to buy Ooma or Telo, and was wonder if there was a comparison of features anywhere that could help me decide whether it's worth it to wait for Telo, or if I should just go ahead on by Ooma.

I'd like to know what exta ability/features Telo has, if the extra features are anything I'd care about, and also, is Telo going to be more expensive than Ooma?
asked by T. Kelley on October 1, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 answers
A
The Telo will have a functional USB port, that may enable interface with a cell phone. There may be other features announced over time. The Telo also supports high definition conversation with other Telo units if both are using an Ooma wireless handset.

The Telo has fewer basic features (no voicemail for example), it also doesn't seem to support incoming caller-id name on the basic plan. Telo users will be charged about $12 per year after the first year as a regulatory recovery fee, hub users continue to get basic service forever at no charge.

Ooma just raised the monthly outgoing talk limit to 5,000 minutes per month, after that you must pay 2 cents per minute. Incoming talk is still unlimited.

If you want a basic phone, and never want to pay a fee, grab an Ooma hub before they are gone. If you want a phone and don't mind paying either $12 per year, or $10 per month for Ooma premium, then the Telo may be a better choice.

In terms of overall value, for a basic phone user the hub wins. However the hub is probably going to stop shipping in the near future. If you want a hub, buy it soon.
Pilchard answered on October 2, 2009
Comment | 9 of 9 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks for that valuable information.
T. Kelley answered on October 2, 2009
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
No incoming caller-id name on the basic plan. What good is caller-id with just the number? That is basic feature if I have ever heard one. Are they trying to force us to pay $10 per month to get caller-id names?

$12 per year and basic features costing $10 per month doesn't sound like free phone service to me. It's not expensive but its not FREE. After paying $250 for the Telo there should be no fees. I don't think Amazon should have 'no monthly phone bills' in the title when there is at least a $1 per month fee and possibly $11 per month in fees.
Carson answered on October 2, 2009
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I agree. The Telo will cost at least $12 per year after the first year with basic service. IMO the Ooma core system is a better deal. The Ooma core basic includes caller-id with name and voicemail, with no annual $12 fee after the first year. If you want a low cost basic phone the Ooma core is a better solution. However they are going to stop making the core. If you want one, buy it now, before its sold out.
Pilchard answered on October 3, 2009

A
Pilchard states that Caller-ID (CID) is not offered, while this page http://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-telo/features clearly states otherwise. Hmm, looking at the top of that webpage, there is a statement: "The Ooma Telo has all the features the Ooma Hub has to offer, and then some." However, it is clear that voicemail has been moved to the 'Premier' (i.e. subscription) service.

IMHO the Telo offers a lot more - the future availability of Bluetooth phonebook sync with compatible cellphones, wifi integration with cellphones (my Blackberry should be able to do both) are both items that I would certainly use.
Dale Yuzuki answered on October 3, 2009
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
You have misstated me. I said under the Telo, incoming caller-id with name is not supported in the Telo basic plan. You will get the incoming phone number, but not the name.

See - http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3155&p=23013#p23013

From the above link - "To sum up the pending revisions, we're introducing a new service tier called "Ooma Basic." This tier has everything "Ooma Core" has but excludes a few items:
Phone Support (after your Premier trial concludes)
Voicemail
Caller-ID Name Look-up (Caller-ID Number is still included)

"Ooma Basic" also includes an annual $11.75 regulatory recovery fee (rrf), which is waived for the first year. Hub-only products purchased in Costco B&M stores (but not Costco.com) also have this $11.75 rrf. This fee does NOT apply to customers who have purchased an Ooma Core Hub/Scout product bundle. If you're unsure what you have, just take a look at your product packaging - it will mentions all the services you get with the product without any Premier subscription.

"Ooma Basic" is going to be included with all new Telo systems, so that when the Ooma Premier trial expires, the system will be downgraded to "Ooma Basic" If you upgrade your Ooma Hub to an Ooma Telo, your account settings and services will transfer over to the Ooma Telo (including any Premier subscriptions and exemptions from the rrf)."
Pilchard answered on October 3, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I've had the Ooma Hub for about 8 months now. I absolutely love it. Based on the terms & conditions on the Ooma website, my recommendation is to jump on one of the remaining Ooma Hubs, and sign up as a customer quickly. "Existing" customers are grandfathered into the current plan. "New" customers are under the new terms and conditions. The best value is to buy a Hub and lock yourself into the original terms and conditions. If you wait for the Telo you will be a "new" customer and will have to pay more.

Even if you prefer the Telo, you might be better off buying the Oooma Hub now and getting granfathered into the current terms. Then down the road you could upgrade to the Telo and transfer your grandfathered account over the Telo. Then just sell you Hub on ebay or something.
John Edward answered on October 5, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It always amazes me when people complain about something that is already a fantastic value...complaining that it should be "an even more fantastic value". You can go through life thinking that you are a "victim" if you wish to do so.
Joseph S. Upton answered on October 20, 2009
Comment | 7 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Just to clarify on what a couple of people have said...

If you have decided not to get the Telo and want the free phone service and voicemail, don't just buy an ooma Hub, you MUST buy the ooma Core system, which includes the Hub and the Scout. I have provided more info on this in my 10-19-2009 review of the ooma Core system on Amazon if you're still trying to make the Core vs Telo decision.
A. Winters answered on October 20, 2009
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
the terminology used in the above posts is not very clear.
I have the original ooma hub and scout set-up, used over 4 floors. I was one of the first users on the east coast.
I had a choice of having all incoming calls routed to my gmail account, calls then accessible through the ooma site online, or having the calls sent to my cell phone simultaneously when they come in. I started with the computer access, which was the first available, then switched to the cellphone rollover, which proves very useful when i'm not home. if the cell call is not answered, the call goes to my home answering machine (the hub). all calls on the cell phone show the name of person making call as long as they are in my cell directory.

I pay for overseas calls, a tiny dollar amount. ooma charges my credit card, with my permission, about once a year to give me prepaid overseas minutes, usually $10. each year.

the help desk is real, works, and some of the IT people have a lot of information about improving voice quality.
the cost really is free, except that we also have an alarm system, which requires a basic landline for $15./month, paid to verizon. this line is never used except for that. it could be employed for 911 of course.

i hope this clears up some confusion for some of you. I have saved a good deal of money with this system.
anne freeman answered on October 30, 2009
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›