Like I said, I have everyone's temari books and by far, Diana's are the most beautiful, colors are wonderful instructions are so precise and these books are a treasure to me. Temari Gifts is great!!!
Published on July 12, 2010 by Alice Maynez

3.0 out of 5 stars not for beginners, nor varied enough
after all the praises on the site, I expected more...
I already had mary wood's book and this one doesn't even come near it.
there are only 10 projects, all complex (based on 5, 10 or dual division) and nowhere as varied as the ones in mary wood's book.
Published 9 months ago by The Green Countess

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Temari Books are from the brilliant mind of Diana Vandervoort, July 12, 2010
This review is from: Temari Gifts: Japanese Thread Balls and Jewelry (Perfect Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, July 11, 2010
Every book that Diana published is better than the last.....the creativity is sinspirational...my techniques grow with every ball I make - the "Gift" book is exceptional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, July 11, 2010
I found Temari Gifts a wonderful resource for gift ideas. It was easy to use and gave me some fun and creative presents to give away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Temari Gifts is a Gift!, July 11, 2010
Each of Vandervoort's books is better than the last one! I can barely wait for a new book, new designs, and new ideas. Her instructions are easy to follow and get better with each book. Her color schemes are beautiful and inspire me to try other colors to get different visual effects on my own balls.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Temari Gifts" is a keeper, July 17, 2010
Shu Chi Liou (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA) - See all my reviews
Diana's latest book is filled with beautiful illustrations and patterns. She truly has a gift for selecting color combinations that are pleasing to the eye. You simply cannot go wrong by using the same colors she uses for a project. By showing a pattern with alternate choices, Diana successfully demonstrates how colors impact the end result. It's amazing how different the same pattern can look. Whenever I look at patterns in this book, I know that it is more than okay to be creative and try a different color pallette. Diana is truly an inspiration to me whenever I pick up a pattern, select fibers, and start stitching. I cannot wait until her next book is published!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greg Stewart, temari advocate, July 15, 2010
Greg Stewart (Beverly Hills, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan and student of Diana's for more than four years. I find her instructions to be very carefully written with precision and detail. I learned the art of temari through Diana's early books and she has truly perfected her skills over the years. Unlike other authors, she has an exceptional eye for color. Her patterns always turn out beautiful and I hope that she continues writing books on this wonderful craft. I find her books to be the closest thing to the original Japanese temari books, only with Diana's I can completely follow the instructions. Thank you Diana!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite of all my Temari books!, July 24, 2010
This is by far my favorite Temari book of all the books I own. The diagramming for the ball marking is exceptional, and it is the book I always have with me in my Temari bag to use as a reference guide when doing different markings. The balls are beautifully designed, and with each new book she publishes I learn more and more techniques. I can't recommend this book highly enough. Whether you're a beginner or an advanced Temari stitcher, this book is a must have on any Temari artist's bookshelf.

3.0 out of 5 stars not for beginners, nor varied enough, March 18, 2014
after all the praises on the site, I expected more...
I already had mary wood's book and this one doesn't even come near it.
there are only black and white pictures for each project, and a few plates of colored pictures with many examples at the beginning of the book. flipping backwards and forwards between pages to get an idea of how the mari should really look is not useful nor attractive.
the explanations are minute - every little step over-explained - but not clear, nor intuitive. and there are no pictures, only partial diagrams, that is: you have a drawing of a part of the mari and you have to imagine if that is anything like what you have in your hand. a picture of the whole mari, at each the stage you're on would have been more informative.
the most disappointing matter is that there are only embroidery techniques and no wrapping ones.
the 3 good points are:
1 - there are explanations for the rare "clouds" embroidery
2 - there are explanations for how to turn the maris into earrings, pendants and even brooches
3 - there are ideas for additional shapes: hearts, disks, stars, diamonds and more

3.0 out of 5 stars instructions difficult to follow, June 16, 2010
Diana Vandernoort has published four books on Temari balls, I own all four of her books and have found all four to be difficult to use. I bought Temari Gifts because I was hoping to learn new designs that are not available in other books. In Temari Gifts, color photographs of mutliple temari balls are on pages 9 -20. Each temari ball on a page is assigned a number. In order to find instructions to specific temari ball you have to look on page 8, then locate the page you want with the number of the ball you are interested in(turn to page 8,then find page 11, number 3 to locate the page with the instructions). The page with the instructions for making the temari ball has a black and white picture of the temari ball, which is not useful when trying to follow the instructions. Having multiple pictures of the same temari ball made with different colors also distracts from the instructions. Her lexicon is unfamiliar to me making the instructions confusing and difficult to follow. Frequently the temari ball design is not apparent until the ball is almost finished, I have three balls that do not look like the color picture. Having a color photograph on the same page of the instructions would help. She should also have some one who does not know her lexicon test her instructions. I do not recommend this book.

Temari Gifts: Japanese Thread Balls and Jewelry
Temari Gifts: Japanese Thread Balls and Jewelry by Diana Vandervoort (Perfect Paperback - February 1, 2008)
$27.99 $21.68