5.0 out of 5 stars Let's Learn from History
I just finished James D. Best's 'Tempest at Dawn' and want to thank him for a good story that:
* Developed insight into what it took to create our Constitution,
* Presented characters who personally sacrificed to do their work,
* Honored delegates who gave their efforts from the soul, and
* Documented strong-willed men who had the courage to debate,...
Published on May 16, 2010 by Sandy Castle

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent
Published on May 7, 2012 by Eric Stott

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's Learn from History, May 16, 2010
Sandy Castle (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
* Developed insight into what it took to create our Constitution,
* Presented characters who personally sacrificed to do their work,
* Honored delegates who gave their efforts from the soul, and
* Documented strong-willed men who had the courage to debate, argue, and sometimes concede to create this country. `Never Give Up' comes to mind.
Reading this book along with the Constitution should be required reading for all USA students. There is much to be learned about the 'dawn' of our government and about how we have strayed from the government created by these men. One which was based on trust in the people, checks and balances, and limited powers.
Since I never opened my eyes to the real life stories of history, I haven't spent much time reading or learning it. Mr. Best has created a story which makes history come alive and makes me appreciate what happened in Philadelphia at a whole new level. I whole-heartedly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Facinating novel of our country's founding, January 3, 2010
This review is from: Tempest at Dawn (Kindle Edition)
Best does a wonderful job bringing the likes of Madison, Washington, Franklin, Sherman and Hamilton to life as compelling characters in the important drama that brought forth our Constitution. The book was well researched. Even though you know how it all turns out in the end, Tempest at Dawn keeps you glued to the pages. Best captures the core issues and debates that were hammered out in Philadelphia. More important, he provides the context and character of those who so passionately crafted it. I learned a ton and never had more fun with a history lesson, which came wrapped in a novel. Highly recommend it to those with an any interest in U.S. history or to anyone who loves a good read with strong characters and a lively plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning History Can Be Fun, May 5, 2010
This review is from: Tempest at Dawn (Paperback)
As someone who disliked History in school, I learned more about the founding of our country and the Constitution that I ever did in History Classes. And I enjoyed every minute of it. James Best did a supurb job of bringing to life our founding fathers. In Tempest at Dawn, they became real people with families, hopes, dreams and problems just like everyone else. But Best also portrayed the characters' greatness by describing their sacrifices and strong determination to create a Constitution that has endured for over 200 years and has made America the great country it is. I highly recommend Tempest at Dawn to every American, especially young people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tempest at Dawn, March 30, 2010
This review is from: Tempest at Dawn (Paperback)
Mr. Best gave us quite a history lesson on the writing of our constitution as well as a great novel. He brought his players back to life, Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, Sherman and Hamilton. As always his book was well researched for the correct time period for this great undertaking of our country. If you are a history buff or a student, this is a great book on some of the United States history and the writing of the constitution. His strong charaters and the novel format made for easy and enjoyable reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tempest at Dawn, April 15, 2010
This review is from: Tempest at Dawn (Paperback)
As a student of history I found this book to be fantastic. The author uses a variety of methods to uncover the back story to the Constitutional Convention; such as letters written by the participants, newspaper articles, and diaries.
This method brings life to the charactors and you feel like your are a part of the story. His writing style is such that it lends a fluid nature to the book, making it an easy read. It was a difficult book to put down.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in our founding fathers. Given that there are many today who think that our Constitution is under attack, it is all the more important that we learn about how it was written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for political junkies, May 23, 2012
This review is from: Tempest at Dawn (Kindle Edition)
James Best's Tempest at Dawn is an awesome book for a poli-sci geek like myself. Was dry at times, but there were other parts where I couldn't put it down. I didn't care for the prologue and epilogue, but the meat -- the part that took place during the Federal Convention -- was excellent. In all, a great read. And it really made me want to visit Philadelphia again. I wish I could have given it 4 1/2 stars ... but it didn't quite deserve five.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, May 7, 2012
Eric Stott (Albany, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tempest at Dawn (Kindle Edition)
Not a bad historical novel. The author's tone tends to be more of the 20th C. than the 18th, and I really don't think that George Washington (or most anyone else) would have been likely to do the Waltz in 1787- The dance existed but at that time it was still a somewhat rough countrified dance, not something you'd do at an elegant party. Still, this is being picky- you could do worse than read this and it's informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book!, October 5, 2010
This review is from: Tempest at Dawn (Kindle Edition)
I so wish I, and everyone else, had read this in school. James Best makes the characters come alive, they were real people dealing with all the different interests that plaque us today and yet managed to come together for the good of the country. I had no idea how long or hard they had worked to make our Constitution, their dedication was amazing. James Best also truly represented the bargaining and politics that were necessary to complete this ominous task, translating the documents of record into something anyone can understand. I am very grateful to James Best for bringing this reality into my life and second another gentleman's opinion that Tempest at Dawn should be required reading for students studying the Constitution, real people, real struggles, real results. Great book, I look forward to reading more from Mr. Best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Proper perspective during voting season, November 11, 2012
This review is from: Tempest at Dawn (Kindle Edition)
Tempest at Dawn is a reminder that our Nation has struggled many times. So many of us believed the united (small letter u is intentional as that is how the Delegates wrote) States became whole the day of Declaration. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Delegates met a full 10 years after the original documents of confederation were drawn to once again save this Union. The author puts you right at the tables where they assembled in Philadelphia to try to form a more perfect union for the people. They met in secrecy to keep from being swayed by the media (paper handbills!). This book was the perfect companion during this election to show us our great Nation has been bitterly divided before and will again arise from the ashes to become a better Nation. Thomas Jefferson and James Madison did warn that when the government gave too much of the public coffers it would just be a matter of time before the elections would be decided by those who were in receipt of such script. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every American!, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Tempest at Dawn (Paperback)
I have never been so drawn into a novel, having known the outcome before hand, than I have with this piece of historical fiction. Presented in the format of a novel allows for easy reading and understanding, without the boredom or sterility of a history text book. As the author himself admits, he has taken certain liberties with his historical novel. But without the liberties that the author has taken, while still retaining a high degree of accuracy through his thorough research, I may not have read this book....and it would have been my loss. Every student of history and government should take the opportunity to read this novel. Through his writing he conveys the realness of the situation at the time and of the people involved, that you wouldn't get by reading a text book. It also impresses upon you how the decisions made then have played throughout history and into present day. And it also makes you realize that the caliber of many men in that convention then, is sorely missing from our leaders of today.
Mandatory reading for any student, and for any American that wants to know how we've arrived where we are today. A must read!

Tempest at Dawn