Temptation
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$8.26+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 16, 2013
'Temptation' is the first book in a young adult contemporary romance series that focuses on our main characters - Rose and Noah. Rose and her family have just moved into the rural community of Meadowview, Ohio and are now neighbors with Noah's family. The attraction between Noah and Rose is immediate for both of them, but they have only a small idea of all the obstacles that are in their path if they truly want to be together. Because Noah and his family are Amish - and Rose and her family are not.

This was an interesting contemporary romance that focused a lot on the beliefs and lifestyle of the Amish people and how they interact with outsiders - also known to them as the English. I found it fascinating to learn about their culture and their daily lives along with their strict rules and beliefs. Living in rural Pennsylvania, I'm no stranger to the Amish people, so I was already familiar with most of what the novel spoke of. The characters were well done, especially the main characters of Rose and Noah - although they did seem a bit cliched at times. Rose is an independent, opinionated teenage girl with a fierce temper, sharp wit, and lots of passion about everything in her life. Noah is the quiet and obedient guy who is of course gorgeous as well. He's strong, loyal, devoted to his faith and his family, and protective. There was definite "instalove" between the two of them, which I found to be kind of cheesy at times. I mostly loved the romantic aspects of their relationship and I was definitely rooting for them to be together despite all the obstacles in front of them. The book is told from alternating points of view going between Rose and Noah. I liked that the story is told this way because the reader gets and inside view into each of the character's thoughts and feelings along with how they each view the same occurrences. The writing was well done with a natural flow and a great pace that had me quickly reading through the book. I enjoyed the ending and I'm definitely intrigued at what the next book will bring. I definitely would recommend this book to fans of YA contemporary fiction, especially ones that differ from the ordinary.

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
on August 5, 2012
I was immediately intrigued when I heard about Temptation, which came out on July 26th. It's the story of Rose and Noah, teenage neighbours who fall in love. The hitch is that they live two completely different lifestyles. Rose is an average American girl, and Noah is Amish.

Rose and Noah are up against some pretty serious lifestyle and ideological differences. Being Amish isn't just about living without technology. Their culture includes strict gender roles, a high level of group mentality, and strict observance of community rules. At one point, Rose's father refers to the Amish culture as "anti-feminist," and he isn't exactly wrong.

In order to be accepted as a couple, Rose would either have to become Amish -- a process that would include moving away from home to live with an Amish family -- or Noah has to leave his church and become English (the catchall term for all non-Amish people). Neither option is ideal, as Rose would either have to sacrifice her education and hobbies, or Noah would have to leave his family and make it in the world on only an eighth-grade education.

Though Temptation is a sweet love story, I rated it three stars because the plotting didn't impress me. It's love at first sight for Noah and Rose, and by that afternoon they're already thinking about how to be in a relationship. The trajectory of their romance, which quickly goes from "Hey, you're good looking" to "I want to spend the rest of my life with you," takes place over the space of just a few weeks. I realize that at Rose and Noah's age, people fall hard for their first love, but taking the action at a more reasonable pace would have made the story a little more believable.

Rose's behaviour also got on my nerves after a while. Throughout the middle of the book, Rose cries in practically every scene. It strikes me not only as frivolous, but lazy when an author relies on a teenage character's tears to convey the gravity of a situation.

It was also disappointing that Rose, 16, and her older brother Sam, 18, had done so little growing up in the wake of their experiences. Rose reveals in the first chapter that their mother passed away after a battle with cancer, just a few months before the story begins. This didn't seem to have much effect on them. They still bickered like children and did very little to step up and help their father run the household. I expected more maturity from characters who had watched their mother slowly pass away.

Noah, for the most part, is a sweet character. He loves his family, lifestyle, and church, but at the same time he feels restricted by them because these things are barriers to being with Rose. My only complaint about Noah was that the chapters narrated from his perspective didn't sound convincingly masculine.
It's no fault of the author, but after reading the first few pages it's easy for readers to spot the typo on the back cover -- it's spelled "Meadowview" in the flap copy and "Meadow View" in the text. When a problem like that pops up so soon, it throws the whole quality of the book into question. I didn't spot any glaring errors after that, but it does get the reading experience off to a shaky start.

Temptation will likely appeal to fans of Picoult's Plain Truth, but is a much more lighthearted read. This book is part of a series, and in its sequel we'll see the consequences of Rose and Noah's decision to pursue a relationship on common ground. While I wasn't totally thrilled by the first book, I will more than likely read the second to see where these characters end up.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Reading Temptation was definitely a new and very interesting experience to me. Mainly because the premise of this book was so different from anything I've read before. I have never had a chance to read a novel featuring an Amish community, so going into this one I honestly had no idea what to expect. I'm pleased to report that this book was wonderful. I was very intrigued by the cultural background and beautiful, vividly depicted rural settings. Offering a swoon-worthy, heart-pounding romance and insightful, enlightening plot line, Temptation makes for a truly incredible and affecting tale of forbidden love, family bonds, and life-changing choices.

Temptation is many things, but most of all it's a story of love. When sixteen-year-old Rose moves to Meadowview, the last thing she's expecting to find in the boring countryside in the middle-of-nowhere Ohio is love. Yet there it is, knocking on the door of her new house on the very first day after she and her family (father and two brothers) arrive there. And not just any love, either, but a very much forbidden one, considering the fact that the boy that is about to steal her heart comes from a totally different world. And while their worlds co-exist, they certainly don't mix. But what's more tempting and desirable than a forbidden fruit? What's better than the thrill of secret meetings, stolen kisses, and the words of love whispered in the dark? Will Rose and Noah find a way to be together?

I enjoyed the romance very much. It was sweet, charming, at times passionate and spine-tingling, but mostly just very innocent, pure, and cute. Neither Noah nor Rose had any previous romantic experiences, and seeing them realize just how much they cared about each other was quite fun and heart-warming. Plus, it was really interesting to read a true forbidden-love story, and not just one that would pretend to be forbidden because of some outrageously silly reasons (like height difference or picky parents).

The book was rather slow-moving and filled with long, descriptive passages, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. At least not for me. I actually enjoyed the slow, almost lazy pace, as it allowed me to get a good feel of every-day life in the countryside. I thought that Hopkins did a great job depicting the rural setting in this novel. I found her prose very descriptive, almost poetic at times. Very atmospheric and mesmerizing. I did feel that the romance developed rather fast, but - considering the forbidden factor - it was only to be expected. I wouldn't be able to help myself, either (wink wink).

Karen Ann Hopkins really nailed the cultural background of this novel. Before reading Temptation I had absolutely no knowledge about the Amish, their beliefs, and all the strict rules they follow. I knew about their existence, but never actually got to take a closer look at their community. Temptation opened my eyes to a whole new world and introduced me to a totally different lifestyle. Attempting to preserve the elements of late 17th century European rural culture, the Amish follow a very strict set of rules and beliefs. They avoid most of the features and amenities of modern society, from electricity and electronic gadgets to auto-mobiles (including tractors and other machines that would help their field work), and phones. They're a conservative lot, and a deeply religious one, too. Marriages outside the faith are not allowed, and couples who are about to get married need to follow certain procedures. We're talking arranged marriages and courtship periods under supervision, etc. Can you imagine how difficult a situation the young Amish boy and beautiful English girl are facing? Everything and everyone is against their relationship. Not to mention that their lifestyles are so different from each other, that the disapproval of their families is not the only obstacle on their way to happiness. Is their love strong enough to survive all this?

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes a good love story with an interesting, unique premise. Anyone interested in learning more about the Amish and their way of life is going to enjoy this read a lot, too!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Temptation was a great story about forbidden love and the lengths that those in love will go to be with the one they love.
I think that she did great job with research because everything with the Amish seemed authentic, and it felt like I was being immersed into another culture.
The dual perspective felt really well done, and I appreciated being able to see both sides of the story. The girl, the outsider, and the boy, the Amish who fell for the wild outsider.
There were moments where I wanted to slap their foreheads and make them see the light, but I guess you wouldn't be a teenager or someone in love without it being the forefront of your mind, and that you would do anything in order to be with that person. I totally understand where they were coming from, and it seems authentic that when you are that caught up in love, that you would abandon all else.
I connected with both characters, even when they were being idiots. Some of Noah's thoughts about Rose, on one hand not wanting her to change from the girl he fell in love with, strong and wild, but then the next he wants her to be tame and fit into the Amish box of what is expected of the women. But that made him genuine in that aspect, because you couldn't help but want those things with his upbringing.
At times, Rose didn't seem to live up to her stubborn and strong, how she fell apart and how she just tried to mold into what he wanted. But other times, standing up for herself and trying out things her own way, she did.
I was a little annoyed with how unbalanced it was at times, but I also understand where Noah was coming from not wanting to become English (non-Amish) because he wouldn't have any means of supporting himself much less Rose. But, still, asking the other person to give up their family and heritage without being willing to yourself is manipulative and controlling to a level that I wasn't very comfortable with.
I wasn't satisfied with the ending, I wanted more, I wanted to know more about what happens with their love story, but alas, this is a first book in a series and I will have to wait to know more. I think that it ended the only way it could, leaving so much more to explore in the next books.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Okay I finally get me, I am a huge sucker for the intense male who is so into the girl he would do about anything for her, or to keep her. Didn't say it was healthy just I really like stories that are like that. Temptation is that kind of story and more. Rose and her family move next door to the Miller family who happen to be Amish. They have a beautiful son named Noah. Rose and Noah are instantly attracted to each other upon their first meeting. Both try to avoid there attraction to one another but it doesn't work. They manage to find time to spend with one another and fall into love. They are both apprehensive of each other's culture he being Amish and fallowing the strict old order is a little hard for Rose to understand. Noah on the other hand calls her English which applies to anyone who is not Amish, no matter your race,religion,creed etc. He doesn't understand the outside world. This all hits a boiling point when their relationship is no longer a secret and is now public information. What will their parents do? She is only sixteen, he is eighteen? Noah asked Rose to make a huge choice, what will she choose?
There is great romantic tension in just about every page of this story, it was great. Noah is such a chivalrous guy, he is really good to Rose, a little manipulative due to his up bringing, and a little to I am the man hear me roar. This all fits with his character and the story though. Rose is cute, witty, strong willed, courageous, and lonely. I also like both family dynamics Roses family is the typical family in a lot of ways. They all love each other, but have there squabbles and arguments. Here is one scene I enjoyed, Rose to her brothers " When I finally reached the rickety old front porch, I smiled smugly at the dorks who were both standing there without a way to open the door. Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out the key, dangling it in front of them. In an instant I was tackled to the ground by Sam......" Rose has two brothers Sam who is older and Justin who is younger. They acted like typical siblings, and it was refreshing and funny.
I loved Mrs. Hopkins writing it was so straight forward, smooth and funny at times. She had some great quotes I have to share with you: Rose speaking "I really hated her the way I hated poison ivy or waking up to discover I'd gotten my period." The other aspect of Mrs. Hopkins writing that I liked was that each chapter is told in a different point of view, alternating between Rose and Noah. I love this, I want to hear the guys point of view, how he feels, and what he is thinking....love, love, love. Here is a quote form Noah " My soul was tugged toward the English girl as if it knew that she needed me. The realization was sitting over me like a warm blanket...." Mmmmm I love romance. One more quote from Rose, " Realizing it was a giant spider web I wondered where Charlotte was, probably crawling in my hair." Great witty writing, I really enjoyed.
Overall a really enjoyable read with lots of romantic tension, choices that need made, consequences, heartbreaking moments, and the end leaves you wanting more. really excited to see how this story evolves in the books to come. Will their love be enough to sustain them through their cultural and religious differences?
on June 29, 2012
I enjoyed many aspects of this book, and the book overall was A GREAT READ. One aspect I liked was the detail in the characters and the settings. I could feel the dust, smell the corn, imagine the auction and really visualize all of the people, not just the main characters. Also, the conflict is there and realistic, especially since I work with the author's intended audience every day. The on-the-dime emotions, the clothes issues, the way they talk, it's all there and written in a way that will hook the audience. Most teens and even adults will never experience Amish culture, so again, the author's realistic, first-hand knowledge and details (sans cliché) enhance the novel. The author takes a chance writing in the first person from the perspective of both protagonists here, but does it well, managing to keep the male / female emotions distinct and neither is overly simplified, stereotyped or under developed. Nor is the format difficult to read. The next book in the series will allow more development of the choices made near the end of this one, so I look forward to that. Read this and think: what would I be willing to do to be happy? Amish aside, would I be willing to move beyond my comfort zone? A good book to read with your daughter to initiate discussion.
on June 28, 2012
The Amish culture is one that has always fascinated me. I admire how they live and I respect their beliefs. So I was a bit worried when I started reading Temptation. I have never read a YA book that had characters that were Amish and I didn't know how they would be portrayed.

Ms. Hopkins not only wrote book that was respectful to the Amish, it was so wonderful that it made it hard to put down! Temptation is more than a forbidden love story between an Amish boy and an English (modern) girl. It also gives us a good picture of what everyday life is for Amish teens.

Through both Noah and Rose's eyes we see why they made the choices that they made and how they deal with the resulting consequences. They both have an interesting perspective on how each other's families do things.

If you do not know much about the Amish culture, please don't let that put you off from reading Temptation. It is so enjoyable that you do not want to miss reading it. I will fully admit that I loved this book and I cannot wait for the next in the series to be released!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've read quite a few Christian novels in my time, but NONE of them have been about the Amish. Weird, right? Considering all the Christian books out there dealing with this topic, in particular. So, I honestly came into this book not knowing too much about them. And while I wouldn't label this a "Christian" book, I'd like to think that Ms. Hopkins accurately portrayed what would happen in such a situation as this.

Noah and Rose had an instant connection. Or, some would call it "love-at-first-sight". And from the beginning I don't know if either of them REALLY took into consideration how difficult it would be for their love to flourish in this situation. I think that, oftentimes, they were both ruled by their hormones (teenagers!!).

Rose's family moves to Meadowview after experiencing great loss. Her father, a doctor, managed to get a job close by. When the local Amish community welcomes them in, hoping to get to know the new doctor, Noah and Rose get their first introduction.

There are some very sweet moments in this book, where I think Rose gets to be on the receiving end of chilvalry and care that most "English" girls don't ever get to experience. But, for Rose, where does the chivalry end and the chauvinism begin? The Amish are very old-fashioned and very set in their ways. This is just one area that Rose and Noah will have some hurdles to overcome.

Half-way through the book I realized that this story can only end one of three ways. It was interesting to see the journey Rose and Noah took, while so young, to get to this "ending".

All-in-all this was a great story. I really enjoyed how realistic the author portrayed Rose, as a normal--sometimes very emotional--sixteen-year-old girl, and Noah as a more mature--but, slightly, impatient--eighteen-year-old boy. This is going to be a series and with the book ending the way it did, I'm anxious to see what happens next.

My Rating: 3.5/5
on August 17, 2012
Temptation had me in tears for Rose and Noah's heartbreaking romance. I love forbidden romance stories! And Karen Ann Hopkins has written one that is truly unique, she writes with clarity and strength that pulled me in and hooked me.Hopkins also writes this story from both Rose and Noah's point of views. This is something that I love for the author to do. I always enjoy seeing both sides of feelings from the two people who are falling in love. Rose and Noah are both fantastic characters. They're strong and self-assured in who they are and their beliefs.

Rose's father has moved her and her two brothers Sam and Justin from a Cincinnati suburban life to the boondocks of Ohio called Meadowview. Rose's new home is in the middle of an Amish community. Rose has never cared about boys or had a boyfriend, but when she meets her Amish neighbor Noah, her heart betrays the feisty Rose. Out of all the boys she could have fallen for, why did it have to be an Amish one?

Noah is eighteen, and in the Amish way of life, it's time he has to start thinking about marriage. But, none of the Amish girls have caught Noah's eye or heart. Unfortunately, the girl that has is the girl who's forbidden. When Rose returns her love for him, Noah is determined to have the forbidden girl he truly loves.

Rose and Noah's love is one that had me cheering for these two who are destine to be together. But their families and different cultures are going to be a hard one for them to overcome. They're both strong in their beliefs, but their love will prove to be stronger, and I can't wait for second book to find out just how sneaky Rose will be in order to get the guy she loves with all her heart.

Temptation is a beautiful, forbidden romance that had me begging for Rose and Noah's love to find a way to be. I highly recommend Temptation as a heart-melting romance.
on August 8, 2012
As soon as I first heard about Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins, I added it to my wish list. The premise sounded fascinating. I've always found the Amish community to be interesting so a book about them as well as two teens (one Amish and one not) who fall in love? What's not to love about that? Seriously... Plus, I've almost always have a good track record with Harlequin Teen and their books. As it turns out, Temptation was an amazing book...not only did it given me an inside look into the Amish community but it also introduced characters that I adored from the start as well as a story that was so hard not to love.

Temptation introduces alternating POVs from Rose, an English girl (as Noah calls her), and Noah, an Amish boy. Rose is the typical teen girl except for the fact that she's now living besides Noah and his family in the middle-of-nowhere Ohio. From the first page, I was instantly hooked on Rose's voice. She was such a sweet and interesting girl, and it was especially interesting to watch her learn about the Amish as well as fall in love with Noah. I especially enjoyed her takes on their community as well as comparing it to her own world. Noah, on the other hand, was another interesting character that I enjoyed reading about as well. When he first came into the scene, he was shy and not all that attention grabbing, but by the end, I really came to enjoy his POVs as well. Karen did a fabulous job of expressing his confusion over choosing his family and culture or Rose in realistic and emotional way. I also enjoyed seeing the Amish as well as the "English" as he calls anyone non-Amish. It was certainly eye-opening to say the least. The wide variety of other characters, such as Noah's family and Rose's, was fun to learn more about as well. Two of my favorites were definitely Sam, Rose's brother, and Sarah, Noah's sister who Rose befriends over the course of the book.

The premise of this was what originally caught my attention, and thankfully, I thought Karen did a great of fleshing it out to it's fullest potential. I found Noah and Rose's connection to be believable even if it did come after such as short time, and while I didn't always find their decisions to be extremely rational, it didn't stop me from rooting for them one bit. I also learned so much about the Amish in this which I just loved as well. I'm really curious to find out more in the sequel now! Temptation was also filled with the occasional plot twist that switched everything up and I really enjoyed that as well.

Hopkins's writing was also decent. I have to admit that at first I had a hard time getting into this one. It was often slow moving in the beginning as Karen established back story as well as Noah and Rose's relationship, but by the end, I was rapidly flipping the pages, dying to know what would occur next.

In all, Temptation is a strong debut novel and one I highly suggest to fans of the YA contemp genre. Just don't let the slowness at the start detour you, I promise it gets better.

Grade: B+