5.0 out of 5 stars Upper-Room Awesome!
Far be it from me to say I've been a longtime Waifs fan. As a matter of fact, they'd have passed me like an un-calendared solstice had a friend of mine not swerved into a video of theirs on YouTube. With "Lighthouse," I was hooked, and went on to retroactively buy all their other music.

What was even better? It was just so providentially perfect that the last...
Published on March 17, 2011 by R. Giesecke

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure
Published on July 16, 2012 by Keith Bednar

5.0 out of 5 stars Upper-Room Awesome!, March 17, 2011
This review is from: Temptation (MP3 Music)

What was even better? It was just so providentially perfect that the last leg of their American tour (2010) was cruising within an hour of my front door--less than a month later. That night in Chico, Ca., I heard the band--sans bass player--run through a fine list of songs I know many have held dear for many, many years.

When I entered the venue, I felt like an intruder, standing amongst so may fans who have walked the journey far longer than I had. But I wouldn't feel that way for long. Having already immersed myself in their music in the short term, I managed to notice some new music. The two that stood out specifically to me were those brought to the fore by guitarist Josh Cunningham: "Temptation," and "Moses and the Lamb."

I was floored. I had noticed that, throughout all their lyrical and contemplative percolations that a distinct spiritual undercurrent was always there. Songs like "Lighthouse and "Flesh and Blood" can play a few ways. Including avenues of faith.

The new record bears the craft of not only Cunningham, but of the very non-linear lyrical approach of the Thorn sisters. Fans will hopefully be pleased to note that, while their distinct stylings are there, the songs are not "test pattern" repeats of their earlier works. And yes, the ever-present-and-always-euphonious Lee Oscar harmonica is there.

The record was also recorded analog--Mastered on actual tape. And while reasonable people may differ about the technological age and its impact on recording--along with its expediency, the sound is undeniably cozy; it really does sound like you're sitting in a well-mastered mini-theater and hearing this stuff. Live.

Highlights for me are "I learn the hard way," "Some days," "Moses," and "Temptation."

I personally love the creations wrested out of Cunningham's spiritual homecoming. It's a pleasure, not only hearing the sisters harmonize musically with each other, but also harmonizing their work with the new spirituals--into what becomes a nice amalgam of Aussie folk, contemplative and undersold life ruminations and coffeehouse Pentecost.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Waifs At Their Best, June 16, 2011
This review is from: Temptation (Audio CD)
The Waifs are a good band with great original songs but this album "Temptation" has to be their best, I love the music and I fell in love with all the songs from the very first play and can never be sick or tired of them. One track in particular "Buffalo" just sticks in my mind and I am thrilled to bits every time I play it. I have a good quality Hi Fi system too and the sound quality of this album is superb and thanks to Amazon's excellent packing, it arrived safely and quickly too! Thanks Amazon! I highly recommend this album to everyone, you will not be disappointed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Temptation (Audio CD)
I love the Waifs, but I am not sure this is their best CD. Sometime I think people put out CD's just to put them out. I like their earlier stuff. Now I am not looking for the wrath of the ever faithful, I said I love them !!This CD just lacks their usual energy, and if they wanted to do a slow down CD that is fine. I just can't seem to warm to this CD, except for 2 tracks, I would not buy this CD again.Thanks

Temptation