Published 22 months ago by JChris

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea.
Published on September 15, 2010 by T. Dang

5.0 out of 5 stars Best at-home airbrush system you can get- better than Dinair or Luminess, December 14, 2012
This review is from: TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System (Misc.)
Ok so, before we start, I am a professional esthetician/makeup artist. I have lots of experience with airbrush, have taken classes, used it on brides, etc. so I hope you can trust my opinion here. I have different types of airbrush systems- I have a professional airbrush system with a high grade Iwata compressor and airbrush (sold at trade shows for beauty pros) and of course, it is the most versatile system there is...you can do special FX makeup, body tanning, etc., but for this review, we have to clarify what kind of system this Temptu system is... for this review, the temptu is NOT that type of product. It is designed for private, personal, at home use.
And that is where THIS system excels and blows other personal airbrush systems like Dinair and Luminess, out of the water.
The main reason people are attracted to airbrush makeup is for the idea of looking flawless and like you have perfect, real, skin. Not cakey, overly made up skin that is fake and obvious- but real skin. You at your best.
Other systems like Luminess and Dinair may be more versatile in the sense that they have those mini top, gravity feed airbrush guns, which allows you to mix colors ( basically, smaller, less powerful versions of the pro versions) and you can even mix wild and crazy colors if you want to,) But really, what normal, busy professional working woman, full time mom, whatever, is going to mix blue avatar makeup for fun everyday? And don't forget. Even with those smaller airbrush systems like Dinair and Luminess, you have to clean the airbrush gun out after EACH AND EVERY USE...just like the pros have to between clients. If you don't, it affects the quality of your application spray the next time you use the Machine, and your makeup will come out sputtering and blotchy on your face. How are you supposed to clean it? Well, you have to flush your gun out with both special cleaner AND distilled water (not tap, which can cause deposit buildup inside your airbrush gun, which would also affect future performance.) Try to get away with NOT doing this even a few times and you will regret it and curse your system and have to do a deep clean AFTER you disassemble like, 6-10 or so parts that comprise the airbrush gun. Sounds awful, right? Stay with me here.
Why the temptu has the other systems beat and why it has revamped the personal airbrush system idea is because they have figured out that the busy woman doesn't have time to pre-mix her own foundation color from 1,2, or even 3 different foundation shades. Nor does she want to clean the darn airbrush gun after every use. That gets old people, trust me. The consumer wants the ability to look like a celeb with perfect skin, but not have the hassle of mixing color, cleaning airbrush guns, etc.
With Temptu, all of your foundation, blush, bronzer and highlight colors are already pre- mixed for you inside their own little forms of applicators, called air pods ....you just choose your perfect shade, snap it on, and begin airbrushing. And if you can't find your shade, you call the company and they customize a shade for you. Easy. ( I bought my system at Temptu.com....they do that there.....or they can offer great advice on how to find the shade you need.....check where you buy yours to see if they do that.) when you are done applying your makeup, it's really easy- No cleaning, just snap off each pod, change it out for another or store it in your makeup bag, whatever you want. Easy.
Plus, temptu is a silicone based airbrush makeup. Why would you choose silicone based foundation airbrush makeup over say, water based? Well, , all of the pros (or most of them, anyway, if they afe any good) use some form or brand of silicone makeup to airbrush those models and celebs we envy so much. Why? Because silicone base lasts longer, is water and sweat resistant, and most importantly, LOOKS LIKE SKIN. It is sort of satin, skin like finish. Systems like Dinair market their foundations as being silicone free and water based with a matte finish, but trust me, matte skin is NOT real skin in real life. It looks made up. Even if you didn't use airbrush makeup, you will find that most cosmetic and skin care companies use silicone in most of their products.
Most high tech bottle foundations, bb creams, face primers, etc, all have varying degrees of it in them. Its there for slip, feel, wearability, and staying power. If you are oily, you still can use these types of products with silicone, mainly because they last on your skin type (or dry for that matter) and you can use an oil free, oil absorbing primer underneath your airbrush makeup and your oil will be greatly controlled. ( I can't tell you how many People who tell me that water based airbrush makeup sprays on too matte and drying on their face and looks cakey...Even oily skinned women say this) And most women over 40 want glowy, not matte skin anyway.
So when you wear Temptu foundation, For wearability, I would recommend for drier to very dry skin types, you hydrate with your regular day moisturizer or a nIce moisturizing primer with SPF (if you want sun protection.) Temptu's formula is kind of like a built in primer, so dry skin gals don't necessarily have to use one, but if you already have one you love, feel free to use it.
For normal/combo or oily skin gals, I would say get yourself a good oil free, oil control primer (with or without SPF, your choice) let that dry down THEN airbursh the temptu makeup on.
Your skin will have a pretty real skin glow. Not shiny, just perfect. If it feels wet on your skin when you spray it on, you are either spraying too much, putting the airbrush gun too close to your face, using a pressure that is too high, or a combination of these. Just remember, hold the gun 4-6 inches from your face, smallish, circular motions, and a pressure that is comfortable for your level of coverage. The trick to more coverage without it looking heavy is to follow the above technique, but allow it to set a bit before the next layer. And different days, you might want lighter coverage than others. That is why this makeup is so great, you can use it super light one day and use it a bit heavier for fuller coverage another day! Truly versatile...you are like your own personal makeup artist.
To set your makeup, if you are drier, you prob won't need or want powder to set this. And it will take a few min to set... But when it dries...oh my goodness! If you are oily, after the makeup sets, I would suggest a super light application of powder, applied with a fan brush, preferably a talc free, superfine setting powder. You don't want too much powder making The great finish of the makeup looking flat or fake. Another good option right after it sets is to gently press a blotting paper on your oily t zone or sll over (gently) and using those during the day instead of powder. Ask any good makeup artist..powder has its place and can be invaluable, but it has to be used with a light hand if you want your skin to look real and reflect light, not look flat. And as we get older, NOTHING ages women more than a heavy hand with the powder.
So yes, Sephora no longer carries this item, but this current version of the system (2.0 at the time of this review) you can get now at qvc.com, temptu.com, etc. It is a revamped second generation version that is better than the first model Temptu introduced a few years back which was exclusive to Sephora at the time.. The system now has a better and more powerful compressor, a better, weighted gun, and the airpods have more makeup in them than the old ones did. You used to get two airpods to a pack, with about .28 oz in them, but now you are getting one that actually has more makeup in it than the two that you got in one package. Plus the system is cheaper!! It used to be 225.00 just fir the machine ( compressor) and gun, no makeup. So for once, you get more for less money which never happens in today's world. Gotta love that.
For the people that say they thought that the Temptu makeup was too shiny or heavy, I guarantee they sprayed way too much on, or didn't prep their skin with a primer before (ESP if they were oily.) For those that say they broke out terribly, they are probably one of those unfortunate people that are allergic to silicone. Most people aren't, but there are a few out there...Or, they didn't properly remove the makeup with a double cleanse at the end of the day.
So if you have read this far you can probably guess I really love this system, and you'd be right. I just got upset when I saw so many negative reviews here. I know this is a wonderful product, and yeah, it's somewhat pricey, but to me it's worth it. I hate to see good products get bad reviews, and yes, I know everyone is different with different skin etc, but this makeup CAN work for most skins if you just take your time to learn what you are doing. I hope that Temptu never stops making this machine for the average consumer....it truly is the closet thing on the market to a pro system without the crazy pro price tag.
So try it out. Use it correctly, and love your makeup!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea., September 15, 2010
T. Dang (New York City, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System (Misc.)
I bought TEMPTU last week and was really excited about the product. It's a big investment so I did a lot of research before I bought it. Most of the reviews I read were positive but unfortunately for me, I fall into the other category. At first I thought maybe I had the wrong color but I bought four different shades of foundation (001, 002, 003, 004 and a 301 highlighter) to no avail.

It probably works differently on different types of skin. I have smooth skin that is oily as all heck, so take that as you will. The first thing I noticed was that that the foundation either made me look orange or pale as a ghost depending on which color I used. The second thing I noticed was that the texture wasn't smooth or dewey, but matte and dry/cakey like I smeared glue on my face and powdered it afterward. It also made me look splotchy if I tried to give myself more coverage in one area.

I tried everything I could (even youtube tutorials) and I never return anything that half-works because I'm too lazy... so departing words of wisdom? I strongly urge you to try it at Sephoras before you buy it. It comes with a 60 week return window so I'm not worried, but it would have saved me a lot of hassle if I'd done that first.

PS -- I really recommend Chanel foundation, I've never found anything close to the way Chanel looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I buy this sooner??, November 2, 2010
This review is from: TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System (Misc.)
I just finished applying my makeup with the Temptu airbrush for the 3rd time. I absolutely LOVE it. I bought the system after trying it the Sephora store and it made my skin look better than I have ever seen. It covers a large scar on my face better than anything I have tried before and that is really what sealed the deal for me. It can't cover the texture of the scar (or anything else), but the redness is COMPLETELY covered without looking caked.

I don't understand people saying that the makeup is matte. I too have oily skin. When I apply it, it has a very dewy finish...so much so that I put a little translucent powder over it sometimes depending on the look I'm going for. I always apply a good moisturizer with SPF right before application. Perhaps that is the difference?

You cannot apply the airbrush makeup under your eyes because when you close your eyes, wrinkles form under them and them the makeup will settle into the lines. I am using Lorac's Double Feature under eye concealer stick under my eyes and have had very good results. I also use the stick concealer on other imperfections, not because the Temptu won't cover them, but to save on the airbrush foundation. The roller ball on the double feature gets the concealer really smooth so it doesn't detract from the airbrush effect at all.

One tip I read somewhere that I found to be really helpful, if you can still see your pores or if you apply the foundation a little to heavy in one area, use a brush to tap the foundation down. I use a MAC duo fiber foundation brush (black bristles with longer white bristles).

On the first night I applied this myself, I went to a party and danced for about 4 hours straight. I sweated like crazy and my makeup still looked great when I got home. My skin still looked like pretty skin instead of like I had foundation on. I am so impressed with this product and I think it is totally worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars It has it's flaws, September 2, 2011
This review is from: TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System (Misc.)
Okay. Nothing is perfect. I have been using this airbrush system for almost a year now, and I LOVE the coverage that it gives. For those complaining that you can't mix colors, I'd go with the the Temptu S-1 compressor and regular stylus style airbrush gun. ((I own both the S-1 system and the temptu with air pods system)) For those complaining that the foundation looks cakey, you have to hold it AT LEAST 6 inches from your face. An important step is cleansing, toning, moisturizing, and PRIMING before application of airbrush makeup.

THIS system isn't flawless, but for people trying to achieve supermodel status foundation, this will do the trick! Be sure you go to a sephora store to be matched first, it will make a world of a difference in your opinion of the product!

Best wishes!

EDIT: I woke up this morning and much to my disappointment, the black tube on the inside of the "gun" (which supplies air to the airpods) was split right up the middle. Now it is completely useless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, February 9, 2010
Cyclo (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System (Misc.)
This really does work as advertised. I got this for my wife for Christmas and she absolutely loves it. Her skin looks flawless after using it, and not all "made up." Just a very nice, smooth, matte finish that looks great and natural. The product dispenses the make-up very evenly and smoothly - we've not experienced any clogging or uneven spraying. The tough part is making sure you pick the right color of foundation, but if you go to the Sephora site, it really helps you select the right shade for your skin. And the pods last much longer than you may think for their size. Really cool product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Allergic to foundation - made me break out severly., May 19, 2011
This review is from: TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System (Misc.)
I loved the temptu the first few days I got it - but it clogged my poors so bad or I was allergic to it or something cause the acne that slowly started forming after 5-7 days was horrible. Not just a few zits here and there, I'm talking about cycstic acne type of a break out. It's funny because right before I bought the temptu system (which I bought from Sephora since they were having a sale at the time) I was noticing just how perfect and clear my skin had been. Well, unfortunately that did not last long. I was using the temptu everyday and at first the coverage was so flawless I thought I had found my one true love. But after I started severly breaking out I tried to stop using it, but my skin was so bad that I felt like I had to keep using it to cover up the acne (which id did, but you could see huge bumps, etc in lighting which was embarassin). Eventually I threw in the towel after a month of use and returned the item and suffered for about 3 weeks while my skin slowly went back to normal.

I am really dissapointed that this did not work for me. I really wanted it to be amazing, but it just was not right for me. I have sensitive skin (but not too sensitive) and combo oily/normal. I did not see any other reviews saying it broke them out, etc so I thought I would throw in my two cents in case someone else out there had a similar experience and was feeling crazy and alone :)

Bottome line, has great coverage - last most of the day - great for non-acne prone, sensitive skin. And I would say jsut give it a shot to see if it works for you. Hopefully it will!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy!!, November 11, 2012
This review is from: TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System (Misc.)
I've never had problems with my face breaking out ever! Well this product definitely has broken me out. I really wanted to like it so four times I would stop using the product got my face back to normal and try temptu again. Well each time after just one day here goes my face breaking out again. What really upsets me is that I purchased the system directly from temptu on sale. Even though I asked to return it within the sixty days they refused because I got it on sale. That's crap!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!!! My skin looks flawless, June 20, 2012
This review is from: TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System (Misc.)
My skin looks flawless. People noticed the change right away. Sephora does not sell it anymore. It lasts all day.

1.0 out of 5 stars As a makeup artist I am disappointed with Sephora and Temptu!, April 20, 2011
This review is from: TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System (Misc.)
My skin shade varies about 5 or so shades from winter to summer so I always end up mixing foundation colors to get a perfect match. Pro kits for airbrushing have a cup so you can mix colors easily and of course use any colors. I understand how for many people the pod can be easier to use since you can't tip it over or have to clean it. But it really isn't that much more difficult to hold something up, especially since it is small and like a pencil, unlike the Temptu which I find to be too big to be easily held. And I have heard that the pods can get clogged easily since the makeup is still in there for months. For me I hands down love my Dinair since it is affordable as. Airbrushing kits go as well and as easy to use as the more expensive kits while just as customizable for my clients skin tones.

What Sephora also failed to do is release other colors! What about eyeshadow, contour, shimmer, semi-permanent tattoos, paramedical makeup for covering scars, burns, bruises, rashes, or airbrush tanning etc! Every other airbrushing system can do these things except the Temptu. With my Dinair kit I can also be a blue avatar if I like for halloween. Or tan myself with the semi-permanent 10 day tanning spray for a fraction of what it costs at a salon. Temptu could at least release the pods in more colors to achieve some of these things. But really without the ability to mix, it is useless to me.

** Since writing this review I purchased the deluxe Temptu Pro kit which is AMAZING. Being able to customize the colors and having such a variety of colors to blend has been the most amazing makeup experience. I truly recommend the Temptu Pro line to anyone that can afford it and has the dedication to learn it. It is indeed one of the most complicated was of applying makeup and takes practice to learn. I would still not recommend the consumer line. Getting a color match is so difficult. Makeup that does not match ones skin tone is my ultimate pet peeve with makeup. Of course learning to make the right color has a learning curve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Airbrush System for at home use, December 8, 2013
This review is from: TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System (Misc.)
I bought the endless summer kit from chictreat.com for only $79.00 Amazing deal. I can't even tell you how happy I am with this product. I'm 42 and have tried lots of makeup and was always curious about airbrushing. I barely even looked at the instructions on how to assemble the product as it was pretty self explanatory by looking at the 3 or 4 pieces, however I did refer to the manual just to make sure I assembled it properly which I did. I couldn't stop looking in the mirror. I applied it lightly, to start and found that this makeup did not seep into my under eye creases and accentuate my wrinkles, rather it brightened up my skin and made it glow. I dabbed a clean washcloth over my face to create a more matte look, but the dewy look was great too. I wish I would've bought a highlighter and a blush, but temptu.com is having a sale now on their website so maybe I will treat myself. enjoy

TEMPTU AIRbrush Makeup System