4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise: Board Book Not the Full Version!?
Published on March 9, 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT the book you know and love!
This is a nice enough board book, but be advised that it is NOT the full version of Dr. Seuss' book! They've left out several (charming!) pages of text and illustrations for the Board Book... What a disappointment to loyal fans, and how unfair to the newest generation of fans-to-be.
Published on September 14, 2005 by Tiffany Holley

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprise: Board Book Not the Full Version!?, March 9, 2004
By A Customer
My son loved the "Ten Apples Up On Top" (Hardcover) book I borrowed for him from the library so much that I ordered a copy of our own. Thinking that the board book would be more sturdy, that's what I ordered. Never imagined that the board book could be only less than half of the full version, you can imagine the surprise and disappointement we had when we sat down to read it together. Now I know to compare the number of pages when I order. I wish there were some kind of clearer indication and warning about Board book version not being the full version somewhere in the Product Description.

5.0 out of 5 stars One-Ups-Creatureship Balancing Act to Help with Counting!, February 20, 2001
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This book is a tour de force for helping with reading and counting to ten, using a vocabulary of only 75 words! A lion, dog, and tiger find many interesting ways to balance ten apples vertically on their heads, building up from only one. Then the birds decide they would like the apples, and the fun really begins. The conclusion will leave your child giggling happily.
Most simple books try to teach only counting or reading. I found it to be a great idea to combine the two. It makes the task both easier and more interesting for your child.
By using only 75 words, there is much repetition to help your youngster identify words that she or he will reuse throughout life. Here is an example:
"One apple up on top!
Two apples up on top!"
The illustrations nicely cue the young person to the words and the numbers involved. With these words I have quoted, you see the lion with the requisite number of apples balanced on top of the head.
The illustrations are also very active, and help draw interest to the story. Mr. Roy McKie's colorful, dynamic illustrations bring the story to life. Otherwise, how interesting can a counting book be?
Most children will have no trouble memorizing this story. Then, they can "read" along as you read aloud. Later, you can stop for certain words that they know how to identify, and they can read that word as part of the sentence you are reading aloud. You can also encourage them to count the number of apples aloud on each creature's head.
You can extend the value of this book by adding some pages of your own that involve numbers beyond ten. Your child will enjoy helping your with the illustrations for those pages. With the simple text structure, you cannot help but match what Dr. Seuss would have written (writing here under his pen name of Theo. Le Sieg -- the reverse of his real last name).
As an adult, I also encourage you to consider creating other books for your children to learn from. You could take this same structure, and introduce other nouns as well. Beyond that, you could also use this structure (with tiny amendments) to teach new verbs. By adding only a few dozen words, you can greatly expand your child's ability to enjoy stories!
Keep it simple, and everything can be understood!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun book to learn counting, August 13, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Ten Apples Up On Top! (Hardcover)
This is a cute book in the beginner books series which helps learn to count in a little different way. Familiar Seussian wordplay is fun to read and fun for the kids. Overly cautious parents should be aware of themes such as a big bear chasing the main characters out of her house with a mop, a rolling pin, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gosh I love this book!, August 3, 2008
This review is from: Ten Apples Up On Top! (Hardcover)
Three animals compete in the first half of the book to see who can have the most apples on top of their head. During the second half of the book, they escape an angry mob, happily collide with an apple truck, and end up giving the entire town ten apples on their heads as well. (What fun! Ten apples up on top! We are not going to let them drop!)

This is a good book both for early readers, and for young children learning to talk. Very simple, rhyming vocabulary, of the sort with intuitive spellings (so much of English orthography is a mess...!)

Please note that I do not recommend the board book version at all. They cut out the entire second half of the book, as well as good parts of the first half. In addition, the board book is poorly constructed. Just wait and get the real version instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sight word book, January 15, 2007
User (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ten Apples Up On Top! (Hardcover)
This book is unbelievably good for early readers. My son started reading right after he turned 4. The book is written using about 85 basic words that all kids need to learn (sight words). Once they know these words they can read a lot of other books. The value in Ten Apples is NOT the illustrations, counting or the story. Put simply, it is a wonderful tool to get your child reading. My son (4 yrs and 3 months) can read this book to himself easily. Those 85 words help him read all other books that he wants to. Those looking for a good book to practice sight words must buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey I remember this!, March 18, 2000
I bought this to read to my son and found that I remembered reading it as a child. It is an excellent book to start reading with! I got so I could recite it and, as soon as I said "one..." my son would smile. The illustrations are great--red, black, white and yellow--again perfect for a very young child. A great story--I didn't even know until recently that Theo. LeSieg is in fact Dr. Seuss--d'oh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply hilarious, August 24, 2004
This review is from: Ten Apples Up On Top! (Hardcover)
An inspired bit of whimsy. Using spare text for very beginning readers, this story tells the absurd tale of a dog, a lion, and a tiger who start balancing apples on their heads. Soon they each have a bunch of apples stacked on top of themselves, having purloined a few from a bear's icebox. The bear is not happy with this and seeks to topple their apples with her mop. While the apple stackers start out as rivals, they soon become friends as a variety of spoilsports end up chasing our heroes, trying to get the precarious apples to fall off their heads - all of which leads to a spectacular and pleasing ending. The cartoon illustrations are direct and manage to do much with little. This story is a masterpiece of escalation, silly joy, counting, and simple vocabulary all in one. I still enjoy it as an adult!

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT the book you know and love!, September 14, 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am So Good I Will Not Stop, July 13, 2005
This review is from: Ten Apples Up On Top! (Hardcover)
We must tip our hats to the good doctor and his collaborators for a magnificent plot (complete with building tension, climax, and resolution), a fine range of emotions (pride, annoyance, fear, and unbridled joy), and absurdist fantasy (Just how do all those apples stay balanced? How could a lion, tiger, and dog be the same size?)--all accomplished in only 75 words, most of merely one syllable. Let us also praise the clear and clever illustrations, which while a departure from the Seuss style, serve this story just fine as far as this reviewer is concerned.

The best page is the tiger, all by himself, holding his tail suggestively, gleefully orating on the merits of apple-accumulating.

Five, six, seven

Fun, fun, fun!

Seven, six, five,

four, three, two one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teach Your Toddler to Count and Read, September 21, 2005
This review is from: Ten Apples Up On Top! (Hardcover)
This is a great book for a toddler. Very simple words, and counting too. There are a couple pages where the animals each have different numbers of apples on their heads, and I always stop my two-year-old and ask him to count the apples on each of them. He also likes to identify each of the animals: dog, lion, tiger, bear.

He is also learning to read with this book. He can read words like "top" and "ten" and "apples." He really surprised me though by memorizing some of the text, so that on every page he knows the first couple words! "Look, see!" "Look out!" "Come on!"

I loved this book as a kid, and yours will too. I guess the board book is not the full book, so I would get the paper-paged book once your child is old enough to not tear it apart.

Ten Apples Up On Top!
Ten Apples Up On Top! by Dr. Seuss (Hardcover - 1961)
$8.99 $8.09