5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Resources of Its Kind Anywhere!
Published on February 13, 2006 by Dr. W. G. Covington, Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Working-Place Guide of Principles.
The ten principles explained in detail in this book are for the secular, "work" world, and should be remembered along with the Ten Commandments of the Bible. Written by a "bishop" who authored the book and produced the movie, WOMAN, THOU ART LOOSED!

His Ten committments:

1. Know that you are anointed for the job or position you now hold...
Published on March 29, 2005 by Betty Burks

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Resources of Its Kind Anywhere!, February 13, 2006
This book is a lifeline for people who feel trapped in a job that seems meaningless. Bishop Jakes shows you where the meaning can be found, using God's Word as his guide. He starts by explaining that it is a compliment from God that you have been placed in such inauspicious surroundings and cites precedents from the Bible of others who were favored by God who faced similar challenges.

The ten commandments of making the most of the "hostile season" during the process of overcoming are valid. Each one is described in detail. His grandmother taught Bishop Jakes by example. I won't spoil the surprise, but the lessons she imparted carried over from one generation to the next.

The reader is reminded, "No matter where you are right now...God has not abandoned you of the dreams that He's seeded in your heart." Each chapter concludes with a prayer designed to help you apply what you have just been taught. I didn't want the book to end. I read it slowly, relishing it, marking it, highlighting key points, and adding margin notes. This is my reading style anyway, but for this book my interaction was intensified due to the book's richness. This is the kind of book that can be read, re-read, and read some more.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Working-Place Guide of Principles., March 29, 2005

His Ten committments:

1. Know that you are anointed for the job or position you now hold!

2. Don't expect to be appreciated.

3. Embrace opportunities for change.

4. Do the job well while remembering the vision.

5. Don't let the environment get inside of you.

6. Increase your capacity to work with difficult personalities.

7. Where you are is not where you are going!

8. Achieve optimal results with minimal confusion.

9. Do not pledge allegiance to cliques and groups!

10. Always keep your song near you.

As can be seen throughout all ten of these commandments, you are gifted with special and unique abilities to succeed in the workplace where you find yourself; make the most of the opportunities as this chance may never come again. Count Your Blessings!

5.0 out of 5 stars help for work and my walk with Jesus..., August 1, 2005
~auntysue~ (sanford, fl United States) - See all my reviews
I have to say this is one of the best books I have read in some time. A Christian co-worker and I are in a spiritual battle where we work and after praying scripture over the place and opening it up to let Jesus in, it is turning around to a better place to work and it is much calmer now. Then, I find this book and now I am turning around and calming down and really letting God be in charge. The "truths" that are written in this book are inspired. I got this book from the library but I will buy it so I can take it to work along with The Word (sword of the Spirit) and take the place over for Christ!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank Goodness for a book like this!, February 26, 2007
This book has helped me to focus my attention on me instead of the issues at work which are beyond my control. If you're in a job that seems stressful and you need some encouragement, this book is for you. You can choose to be happy at work or you can choose to be miserable. This book clearly let's you see which choice is in your best interest! You can be peaceful at work regardless to your work circumstance if you choose to. This book was worth reading and sharing with other people that I work with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten Commandments of Working in a Hostile Environment, August 28, 2005
Bishop T.D. Jakes is really a blessed man of God. The book "Ten Commandfments of Working in a Hostile Environment" really hit home to me personally. Alot of the things which Bishop Jakes wrote about really appealed to me and I will now seek to embrace the positive apects of the job and just be really thankful to God that I have a job. I must first realize that I am annointed for the position that I now hold and realize that once I embrace that concept the blessing will come for the promotion and the other things which the Lord has promised. Too often when we form groups within the company that can be negative for the individual as one is often viewed by the group or the company one keeps. Bishop Jakes's book is excellent; a good read for every working individual. It it should become the workers manual.

I have been blessed by just reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a great book, March 19, 2006
I had a friend who was going thru some very difficult times at work with a few co-workers. I saw the book and purchased it for myself but once I read it I knew that my friend could benefit from reading it so I gave it to her because her situation was more complex than mine. She thanked me for the book because she knew that it would help her to better understand how to survive in a hostile work environment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convicting, June 2, 2005
DV (United States) - See all my reviews
I didn't think this would be super applicable to where I was in my walk with God. It is a simple read, but I found I couldn't really put the book down. God convicted me of areas that I STILL hadn't submitted to those in authority over me.

He speaks very plainly and clearly. Many of us work in less than ideal areas whether it be the work, the people we work with, the conditions, etc. He speaks as one who understands the pressures and I found the Holy Spirit convicting me of areas that still needed work.

There were even times I found myself angry at what Brother Jakes wrote. Then, I knew it was my own flesh speaking and warring against the Word of God. That's a tough one. I am appreciative of Brother Jakes being used of God to write how we can better work for the companies we work for -- if we as Christians don't do the best jobs, then what does that say about who we are as people in Christ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, January 4, 2007
This book was very helpful and practical in dealing with uncomfortable work environments in a Christian manner. It gave specific examples of ways to deal with difficult situations, using scriptural principles based on the life of King David.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all Supervisors, September 17, 2007
I really like this book .. It is a quick and easy read and it provides some real tools for your toolbox. My only regret is that I didn't have it 10 years ago ..

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is even more relevant now, March 20, 2009
I read this when I was unhappy at work. It was so good I passed it on to another who took the principles to heart and actually ended up in a promotion. I recommend this to anyone who is unhappy at work, who are stressed by angry coworkers, or just need a boost of confidence that you are where you should be.

Ten Commandments of Working in a Hostile Environment
Ten Commandments of Working in a Hostile Environment by T. D. Jakes (Paperback - October 6, 2009)
Used & New from: $7.15