|Amazon Price||New from||Used from|
Serves 4; Preparation time: 25 minutes; Cooking time: 35 minutes
1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the potato and cook until a paring knife easily slips into the center of the potato, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and, once the potato is cool enough to handle, peel it and place it in a bowl. Use a fork to break up and fluff the potato. Set aside.
2. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon on both sides until browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate (save the fat in a small bowl), cool, and then crumble. Place the bacon in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in a small skillet over low heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the onion cool, then add to the bacon along with the egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and lemon zest, stirring to combine. Add the salmon and then the potato, mixing gently after each addition. Then form into 12 small patties.
4. In a small, shallow baking dish, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper. Press both sides of the salmon patties firmly into the bread-crumb mixture to evenly coat both sides.
5. Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the salmon cakes in 2 batches until they’re golden on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total, adding more oil when necessary. Serve warm.
What's your elevator pitch for Ten Dollar Dinners?
It's about so much more than cooking with inexpensive ingredients! It's a full philosophy of spending with purpose and managing our resources wisely while nourishing our bodies.
Which new cookbooks or chef memoirs are you most excited about?
What’s the best place you’ve eaten recently?
I had an incredibly special dinner at Uchi in Houston... truly one of the best dinners I've ever had.
What's been your most memorable author moment?
Opening the envelope that had the very first copy of my cookbook in it. I opened it with my husband, very delicately, as if it were fragile.
What other talent would you most like to have (not including flight or invisibility)?
I'd love to be a genius at organization. (To do that, I think you have to be able to really think in 3-D, and I'm very linear.)
What are you obsessed with now?
Doing splits. I'm almost there!
What's your most treasured possession?
My grandma's confirmation bracelet. She gave it to me as my "something old" at my wedding, and I wear it all the time--unless I'm filming Ten Dollar Dinners. She passed away last month, so it's extra special now.
What's on your nightstand?
They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky: The Story of Three Lost Boys from Sudan by Benjamin Ajak, Benson Deng, and Alephonsian Deng.
What's next for you?
After book tour, I'm settling into the new school year with my four daughters--and then get straight back to work on Book # 2!
Easy to follow recipes. The ingredients are usually easy to find. Encourages healthy cooking.Published 1 month ago by Marette J. Nelson
Most are easy and simple! They are also very delicious. The Kale chips didn't think would be good, but they were delicious!Published 2 months ago by Donald P. Ragan
I use this all the time. If you are familiar with the television program with Melissa this book goes right along with it. It has wonderful tips for tasty, inexpensive meals.Published 2 months ago by Glenda K. Coleman
It is an excellent book with many ideas. If you don’t over eat, you will fit the budget of $10, but even if you pay more, it is still well worth. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Alena Kankova
There are several good basic recipes in here, but nothing that isn't already published for free in about a million other places online. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Amii Hale
Third time that I have bought this book as we both keep giving it away to friends and family. Will probably order more closer to the holidaysPublished 4 months ago by Tim Burks
We've been trying to buckle down on our budget and I purchased this book to give us new ideas about lowering our food costs. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Amazon Customer