5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great... until it broke
Published on October 24, 2011 by Jonathan Avrit

2.0 out of 5 stars Who wants to scratch up their screen!
So you go out and buy an 800 dollar 4G 64GB iPad 3 and then you say "MAN I WANT A CONTROLLER FOR DAT" so you go and look up those little analog thumbpads you saw only to see bad reviews. Dang. Then you see the Fling Ninja which has GREAT reviews! You buy it- it shows up and you are quickly upset with the outcome.

Luckily I have a good screen protector- because...
Published 23 months ago by Albert Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great... until it broke, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Ten One Design Fling Game Controller - Ninja (Accessory)
I enjoyed using the Fling controller on my iPad 2 and noticed a nice difference in my skill level on the games it was compatible with. Your thumbs stay in the game a lot longer because they don't get sore from sliding on the glass (especially when you're pressing hard for an intense game!), and you won't accidentally move your thumbs out of the joystick control area, which is a major disadvantage to touchscreen games in my opinion. It seemed to work really well with most games that had a D-pad or virtual joystick. However, if the controller is mostly pointed in one direction (e.g. always pointed to the right for a side scrolling game), expect it to slide some and you'll have to adjust it every few minutes, which can be a hassle.

The problem is I've only had it for about 2 months, and I didn't actually use it that often, but it broke tonight. The arm with the suction cup attached just snapped off, which I was very surprised by because I don't even put much pressure on the plastic arm when removing it. I hold down one side of the suction cup while I peel the other side like I'm opening a can of soda. I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of materials because it should have lasted for much longer than it did and I didn't see any kind of warranty information on or in the packaging. I checked their website and it says on the description for the Fling, "It's nearly indestructible, and will give you years of precision gaming."

I'll be contacting Ten One Design to see if there's anything they can do, so I'll post an update regarding their customer service.

All in all, I would like to keep using it because it really does improve gaming on the iPad, but I'm not going to spend more money to have another one break in 2 months.

UPDATE 10/28/11
Ok, so it appears I may have received a factory defective unit. I contacted their customer service department and I got an extremely nice, very fast response. I'm pleased to say they have great customer service. Although there was no written warranty anywhere, I was told that the product fell under their defective product warranty and I was promptly shipped a new one via first class mail. I got it today (wow!) and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm back in the game! The replacement looks the same, but it came in different, newer looking packaging. It's possible the one I got here on Amazon was an older model with lower quality materials, or had a factory defect, or maybe I wasn't handling it as carefully as I thought. Either way, it really is a fantastic addition to gaming on the iPad... I'm terrible at Death Rally without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fling Game Controller, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Ten One Design Fling Game Controller - Ninja (Accessory)
For those who play a lot of games on the iPAD will notice why you need this controller. It superb controller. The design is so great and easy to use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Who wants to scratch up their screen!, September 5, 2012
This review is from: Ten One Design Fling Game Controller - Ninja (Accessory)

Luckily I have a good screen protector- because this puppy left marks in it. If that weren't there, I'm sure the ROUGH AND HARD EDGES of what is SCRAPING your smart device's screen would cause some serious cosmetic damage. It honestly didn't even work entirely. It kept getting hung up, kept not responding for certain directions and that is NOT what I bought.

So I returned it. Sorry- need to work on the finish of that product some more. Also it just feels cheep. Thin plastic, almost the same sort a lot of bootleg toys are made of. Seriously- don't buy this thing. It's nothing short of self-degradation of your screen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont expect this to improve your playing experience, May 11, 2013
This review is from: Ten One Design Fling Game Controller - Ninja (Accessory)
Dont expect this to improve your playing experience when using a tablet. It feels cheap and it kind works... Not worth buying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly better than the Logitech variant, but still a little too big for an iPad mini., December 4, 2013
This review is from: Ten One Design Fling Game Controller - Ninja (Accessory)
I purchased this and used it side-by-side with the Logitech equivalent. Overall, it was marginally better. This opinion is based entirely on the size of the unit for my intended use on an iPad mini. The slightly smaller size made it easier to orient on my mini, but it was STILL a little too big to be really useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on the Motorola Xoom!, March 2, 2011
This review is from: Ten One Design Fling Game Controller - Ninja (Accessory)
I tried the Fling and the Joystick-It controllers, and without a doubt, the Fling's are the superior controller option. They make good contact with the screen, and rarely seem to pop off in the middle of the game. They feel great and are easy to position on the screen. They turned my 10" Android Tablet into the biggest Gameboy EVER! Until these devices come out with physical controllers, these are the best thing you can get for games.

Too bad they aren't small enough for my EVO, or I'd be using them on my cellphone too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for iPad Gamers!, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Ten One Design Fling Game Controller - Ninja (Accessory)
If you play shooters like Geometry Wars Touch or any game with an on-screen joystick, this is an absolute must-have! I have Geometry Wars 2 on the Xbox 360 and when I bought GW: touch on the iPad I was frustrated with the lack of precision due to the touch controls. This was especially true in Pacifism mode. After using my Fling, not only did my scores go up, but the strain on my thumbs did as well. Also, this add-on comes with a nice little pouch for storage and it's very easy to toss into a bag or carrying case next to the iPad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool concept, but not practical, June 23, 2011
If you really like one of the 5 or so games listed on their site that work well with this then buy it. Otherwise don't. The quality of the product and usability of the joystick are very good. The resistance is consistent around all parts of the joystick. BUT: The main problem is that the joystick moves out of place. If you place the joysticks in the perfect location, ten minutes later they will have moved moderately, and 20 minutes later you will have to readjust them because the game wil become unplayable. BOTTOM LINE: For the games that are perfect for this joystick, it works really well. For a vast majority of games, it sucks because it covers up other controls like in Galaxy on Fire 2 and it doesn't even work with Deadspace. Definitely a cool concept and fun to try out and use, but personally none of my ipad's 30 games are a "perfect" games for this device.

3.0 out of 5 stars except I get excited and it feels like I'm going to break them sometimes, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Ten One Design Fling Game Controller - Ninja (Accessory)
They work well, except I get excited and it feels like I'm going to break them sometimes. I got these specifically to play geometry wars, and eventually just gave up any went back to direct contact with the iPad screen. Not because these are bad, but just because it's easier. Neither solution is perfect, and it's going to be a matter of personal preference whether or not these work for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for iPad 2, Air, Retina, but not Mini, November 11, 2013
This review is from: Ten One Design Fling Game Controller - Ninja (Accessory)
What seems to be a flimsy item when you first take it out of the box is actually a solid game piece that really makes the most of its screen real estate. The Fling allows for good adhesion and doesn't slip during games, but comes off easily enough while offering good gameplay movement. However it should be noted this should only be used on larger screen iPads, as it tended to get in the way on my iPad mini. two years on, still works well with my iPad 2.

Ten One Design Fling Game Controller - Ninja