on October 24, 2011
I enjoyed using the Fling controller on my iPad 2 and noticed a nice difference in my skill level on the games it was compatible with. Your thumbs stay in the game a lot longer because they don't get sore from sliding on the glass (especially when you're pressing hard for an intense game!), and you won't accidentally move your thumbs out of the joystick control area, which is a major disadvantage to touchscreen games in my opinion. It seemed to work really well with most games that had a D-pad or virtual joystick. However, if the controller is mostly pointed in one direction (e.g. always pointed to the right for a side scrolling game), expect it to slide some and you'll have to adjust it every few minutes, which can be a hassle.

The problem is I've only had it for about 2 months, and I didn't actually use it that often, but it broke tonight. The arm with the suction cup attached just snapped off, which I was very surprised by because I don't even put much pressure on the plastic arm when removing it. I hold down one side of the suction cup while I peel the other side like I'm opening a can of soda. I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of materials because it should have lasted for much longer than it did and I didn't see any kind of warranty information on or in the packaging. I checked their website and it says on the description for the Fling, "It's nearly indestructible, and will give you years of precision gaming."

I'll be contacting Ten One Design to see if there's anything they can do, so I'll post an update regarding their customer service.

All in all, I would like to keep using it because it really does improve gaming on the iPad, but I'm not going to spend more money to have another one break in 2 months.

UPDATE 10/28/11
Ok, so it appears I may have received a factory defective unit. I contacted their customer service department and I got an extremely nice, very fast response. I'm pleased to say they have great customer service. Although there was no written warranty anywhere, I was told that the product fell under their defective product warranty and I was promptly shipped a new one via first class mail. I got it today (wow!) and I couldn't be happier with it. I'm back in the game! The replacement looks the same, but it came in different, newer looking packaging. It's possible the one I got here on Amazon was an older model with lower quality materials, or had a factory defect, or maybe I wasn't handling it as carefully as I thought. Either way, it really is a fantastic addition to gaming on the iPad... I'm terrible at Death Rally without it.
on September 5, 2012
So you go out and buy an 800 dollar 4G 64GB iPad 3 and then you say "MAN I WANT A CONTROLLER FOR DAT" so you go and look up those little analog thumbpads you saw only to see bad reviews. Dang. Then you see the Fling Ninja which has GREAT reviews! You buy it- it shows up and you are quickly upset with the outcome.

Luckily I have a good screen protector- because this puppy left marks in it. If that weren't there, I'm sure the ROUGH AND HARD EDGES of what is SCRAPING your smart device's screen would cause some serious cosmetic damage. It honestly didn't even work entirely. It kept getting hung up, kept not responding for certain directions and that is NOT what I bought.

So I returned it. Sorry- need to work on the finish of that product some more. Also it just feels cheep. Thin plastic, almost the same sort a lot of bootleg toys are made of. Seriously- don't buy this thing. It's nothing short of self-degradation of your screen.
on October 2, 2011
For those who play a lot of games on the iPAD will notice why you need this controller. It superb controller. The design is so great and easy to use.
on March 2, 2011
I tried the Fling and the Joystick-It controllers, and without a doubt, the Fling's are the superior controller option. They make good contact with the screen, and rarely seem to pop off in the middle of the game. They feel great and are easy to position on the screen. They turned my 10" Android Tablet into the biggest Gameboy EVER! Until these devices come out with physical controllers, these are the best thing you can get for games.

Too bad they aren't small enough for my EVO, or I'd be using them on my cellphone too!
on December 4, 2013
I purchased this and used it side-by-side with the Logitech equivalent. Overall, it was marginally better. This opinion is based entirely on the size of the unit for my intended use on an iPad mini. The slightly smaller size made it easier to orient on my mini, but it was STILL a little too big to be really useful.
on July 22, 2011
This review is only a first impression, I got the fling yesterday. This product is extremely game-specific: for some games it is completely useless, and for others it has a major impact. Because of that, I am going to just briefly describe my experiences with the fling for a couple games. Here goes, from best to worst experience. VJ=Virtual Joystick.

FIFA 2011: A+
The fling is a football revelation on iPad. I enjoyed this game very much before, but it was frustrating. The VJ often resulted in poor touches, but with fling I have no one to blame for my lack of goal-scoring but myself. KEY: Make sure to use "Large Joystick: OFF" so you can get your footballers running at full speed. I got this game for $1 on sale, and the fun I have with this game alone is worth the combined price of the fling+app.

NBA Jam: A
Another sports title that uses a VJ, I had much better luck throwing down monster jams and blocking weak stuff with the fling. It's a pretty simple game, but I found the VJ very frustrating.

Star Battalion: B+
This is a fun X-Wing / Tie Fighter knockoff from Gameloft that uses a VJ to maneuver your ship and aim. The game works fine without the fling, but I found it to be more fun with it. You have to position it just so, but once I did I didn't have any trouble flying around.

Aralon: B
The more precise fring controls help a little in this game, mainly with the horse. You will fall off the horse much less, but it's still a problem. Otherwise, the VJ works pretty well because aiming isn't critical in this game.

Non-VJ games: INC
Some of my favorite games don't use a VJ so fling adds nothing. Civ, SimCity, SuperBrothers EP, Angry Birds, Plants Versus Zombies, Infinity Blade... the list goes on. I don't think this can be a knock on this product, it's just life.

OVERALL:

I hope this product holds up to the hours of use I'm going to get out of it. I actually think $18 is a small price to pay for turning my iPad into a more legit gaming device. It's a lot cheaper than buying a PSP or DS! I realize it's not the same, but for me this product is a game-changer. Particularly if you like playing sports games on iPad, this product is a great choice.

Hopefully future games will work just as well! I assume it works for dual-stick and FPS shooter games, but I don't have any good ones to try out. If you have any specific games you are interested in, feel free to post them as comments to this review. If there's a demo version I'd be happy to try it for you (or if it's an awesome game I wanted an excuse to buy anyways).

One extra surprise, the fling comes with a nice little carrying case that is made of shammie material, great for cleaning of fingerprints. I appreciate this type of consumer-friendly detail, thanks Ten One.
on May 24, 2011
Grabbed two of these for my iPad 2 and was very surprised how accurate they are. You can use one or two Flings, depending on the game. Some games, like Dual Stick shooters can use both (move with one, shoot independently with the other), while many others that use a virtual pad set up for movement will use one. I found over a dozen games in my library that work well with Fling(s) - and I'm still testing many others. Every game I popped these spiral bad boys on had a whole new 'tactile' feel and trust me, you will get to further levels and higher scores. Games you would have fired up for a few minutes will be played as if they were on a console.

The Fling is elegantly designed, and quite durable. The suction cups hold very well and you are free to move them to any spot needed depending on the game's control set up.

Gripes:
- There were a few times when the pad began to shift from its original suction touch down location.
- The button mobility needs to have more give as I find my thumbs begin to tire, making me want to go back to the touch surface.
- The button's surface is a smooth finish -- not good.; they should have had a rough or rubber finish so you don't have to apply much pressure to keep your thumbs from sliding off during tense moments.

A small sampling of the games I've tried which worked well with the Fling(s):
Order & Chaos On-Line
Geometry Wars
Pew Pew
Meow Meow Happy Fight
Infinity Field
Castle of Magic (2x)
Minotron 2112 (for shooting only)
Dungeon Hunter 2
RAGE
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2011
I bought 2 of these which i kind of wonders why. The reality is that most of the games on the iPad mainly only required one. Anyways, i am intended to keep the second one anyways just as an insurance the first one get heavily used and breaks. The reason it's because the Fling is only made of PVC plastic (Hard injected plastic). It is a well designed product on how it's way on how the plastic being cut out and hold on to the center thumb piece. However, the material really look kind of easy to break somehow. The two mounting suction piece mounts well onto the surface but since there is nothing in place to hold on the pieces in a fixed place. the Fling tend to maneuver around the corner area and need adjustment back to position from time to time which can be annoying if you are playing something that is not meant to have a time out.

Over all, it's a good tool to have around and it does beat to just use the thumb on the ipad surface with the virtual joy pad. It works out the way it is intended to do but not perfectly.
on May 11, 2013
Dont expect this to improve your playing experience when using a tablet. It feels cheap and it kind works... Not worth buying it.
on July 20, 2011
so i bought this for my ipad 2 becuase i admit that i was having a hard time playing games with the touch screen, especially game such as dead space, madden, anything that required me to move players with my left thumb. after a couple of uses, i realized that the controller doesn't really stay in one place during gameplay. i had to constantly pause the game and reposition the controller. it has a pretty good suction cup, but it doesn't do it justice during actual gameplay. otherwise, it's unobtrusive and small packaging. i like the feel of the controller and that it centers by itself. it works, i can the use the controller for movement.