4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Plan
Published on January 21, 2008 by Chad Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars good read. arrived on time
this book was no different from all the other diet books. I knew most of all the information in the book. good read. arrived on time, as described.
Published 9 hours ago by cindy green

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Plan, January 21, 2008
In her book, Ten Years Thinner, Dr. Christine Lydon puts forward a nutrition and exercise plan designed to amplify the body's metabolism through the choice of proper foods and short, intense exercise intervals. The nutrition plan is similar in many ways to the recent low-carb plans such as the Atkins and South Beach diets in terms of the focus on increasing the portions of lean protein eaten along with a subsequent reduction in certain carbohydrates. Where the plan differs is that carbohydrates in the form of fruits and vegetables are an integral part of this diet whereas grain-based carbs along with many carbs with a high glycemic index are eliminated or significantly reduced. I found the science behind the diet, as explained in the first six chapters of the book, interesting and informative. I was especially intrigued by the recent research on the link between diet and the body's inflammatory response. While I've grown tired of the repeated unscientific claims about what our "stone-age ancestors" may or may not have eaten usually found in these types of diet plans (and are repeated frequently here), the cited research is abundant and seems to back up the specific nutritional claims of the book's author.

Coupled with the nutrition plan is an exercise component based on short workouts done at fairly high aerobic intensity. These exercises and the manner in which they are to be completed reminded me of the descriptions I've read of the Curves machine circuit training methods. While the program is adequately described, it is less completely covered than the nutrition plan in terms of the research backing it up and in terms of the informational support. It would be better if the book came with a DVD that demonstrated the routine or had a web-site with short instructional videos for the exercises and stretches for those who might be unfamiliar with them.

Contrary to the numerous claims made by the book, this is a diet plan. While the participant certainly won't feel as if they have to starve on the plan, there are fairly rigorous dietary restrictions when it comes to grain-based foods and dairy products. The plan also limits portion size to some extent while increasing the frequency of meals much like the "Body for Life" program does. Having participated for a couple of weeks using the diet portion alongside a good bit of cycling, I can say that the nutritional plan has led to substantial initial weight loss (2.5 lbs/week) in my case.

The one drawback of the book I have is that is seems to be written for the person that is slightly to moderately overweight as well as for those who have the time and space in their lives to conform their diets to the plan. Those who are obese will have a difficult time doing the exercises at the intensity required while those who are always on the go will find it difficult to meet the dietary requirements using fast food (of course, that's why some may need a diet like this). Given this, if you are able to perform the exercises listed and can give up fast food and take the time to prepare your own food at least for the first three weeks of this program you should be able to access the program and assess the claims about the diet made by its author. For this group I recommend the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an answer that makes sense and works!, April 9, 2008
I've tried several variations of low calorie, low fat, low carb diets throughout the years. I have lost and gained 30 pounds with each attempt, but the weight loss came only with deprivation, hunger, and frustration, and the pounds came right back when I reverted to my "old ways" because the diets were too strict to maintain for any period of time without being a completely miserable person to be around! I finally gave up on diets when I went to nursing school and discovered that everything I had learned from the diet circle contradicted what I learned in anatomy and physiology class about our metabolisms, and with what I learned in nutrition class about the nutritional components of food. Problem is, I still didn't know how to lose the weight because putting it all together to create a smart and scientifically based program was beyond my scope of knowledge. This is what Chris Lydon has devoted her career to doing. Her committment to peer-reviewed journal literature as a basis for her program is astounding in this age of quick fixes backed by, well, absolutely nothing. Her research is impeccable. Her committment to creating a program that is realistic and workable for even the busiest person is another feat that can't be matched. Her ability to explain how our bodies are meant to be fed and exercised, and her rationale behind all of her recommendations, is truly commendable. Her book aims to educate people, first and foremost, which is a rarity in the diet industry. As for the program itself, it works like a charm! It is the magic key to a door so many of us have been searching for. In just a few days I was out from under the control of the food cravings I had had for so many years. In the first two weeks I lost 6 pounds, four inches, and found energy I hadn't felt in years. I don't weigh myself often but I just went to my doctor's today for a BP check and he was so pleased to see that by his scale, I have lost 10.5 pounds in three weeks. I also lowered my systolic blood pressure by 20 points (I'm not kidding) and got rid of the poofy ankles I'd been walking around on for so long. And the weight continues to come off, effortlessly and I mean that. No hunger, no cravings, no points or calories to count. Just wonderful food that feels great to eat and that you've probably been eating all along, just not in the right proportions! And the exercise routine is energizing, not draining. Obviously, I highly recommend this book to anyone, even if you don't have any weight to lose!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Written and Informative, January 17, 2008
Dr. Lydon has written a very informative, solidly scientifically based, and entertaining book about exercise and nutrition and how to achieve long term results in an easily understood and adaptable program--especially for those with busy schedules.

I initially purchased this book for my wife. She is in very good shape, much better than she recognizes, but has been frustrated by what she feels is her inability to lose "the last" 10 pounds, as well as gain back some muscle, and get back to her pre-pregnancy shape.

I purchased Dr. Lydon's book knowing of her reputation and successful involvement in the fitness and bodybuilding arenas. The book likely is targeted towards women, but applicable for both men and women. I have been bodybuilding and powerlifting daily for over 18 years and studying martial arts for more than a decade. We essentially have a commercial gym in our basement. I really like reading about exercise and nutrition and have read several books and articles on the topic. Consequently, when I come across a book that is both enjoyable and provides me with well written and thought out information I take notice.

This book explains in an enjoyable format the science behind exercise and nutrition. You come away from the book with a tremendous amount of fundamental knowledge, but do not feel as though you are reading a textbook. Dr. Lydon explains the concepts very well and this understanding, I think, makes it easier and more likely that you will be able to follow her program for the long term.

My wife has told me the workout program in the book is challenging (in a good way), without aggravating her knees. She initially was concerned about the circuit training and callisthenic exercises that are included in the program. I really like these types of exercises, even given my bias for heavy free weight lifting. I use them in a cardio martial arts workout that I perform regularly; the nice thing about circuit training and callisthenics is that you can start out easily and progress over time and later ramp up the intensity as you improve--and do so without the need for any extensive equipment or a gym. There really is no limit to how effective and challenging this type of training can be made. I point this out, especially since I do not want to give the impression this book is only aimed at advanced exercisers. It is not. It is great for beginners, as well.

It also is obvious that Dr. Lydon's medical background allowed her to design a program that allows for the greatest gains without the negative effects some high impact exercises can have upon the body.

Having heard of and followed Dr. Lydon's bodybuilding and fitness career and read articles she has written in the past I knew this purchase would be a good idea. The book has exceeded our expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars can't beat it !, January 29, 2008
I was one of the test cases so I have been following the program for a year now. I can't tell you how many people have commented on how I look - it's actually a little embarassing, because I don't want all the attention and have to talk about diet and exercise all the time, but I find myself explaining the program at least 3 times a week and I have shown friends the exercises.
I have lost approximately 14 pounds and wear a size 4 now ( I am 5'3" and am 50 years old.) The exercise routine is convenient to do anywhere - all you need are some steps or a chair and some light hand weights or soup cans. I have done it camping and just isometrically created the tension when I didn't have any weights handy. It is a tough work out - make no bones about it, it is hard and still feels hard, but it feels wonderful and the results are just amazing. It only takes a half an hour, I add extra stretches so all together it takes me around 40-45 minutes.
The diet plan might be daunting to some folks - but, here's the thing - you get used to it and it becomes a way of life, not that hard to follow really. I am a vegan so I had to modify the plan a bit, but I'm really content with the selections I have now and I hardly even think about it any more.
The main thing is that you have to make the commitment to stay with it. I felt the difference in my body after just a few days, and it took longer to see a change. You have to give up the "quick fix" mentality and accept that it is work to get in shape and stay that way - especially at age 50. But it really does work and it feels wonderful to be this healthy. I wish I had been exposed to this years ago when I was spending so much time on the elliptical trainer and jogging all those miles. I enjoyed those exercises, and i know it was good for my heart with the cardio, but I never got such a transformed body from either. I did from this book.
If you take a gamble on it out of curiosity, try it for around 3 weeks and I bet you'll stick with it. pure and simple - you just feel great !

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally What Works!, February 13, 2008
Most successful plan I've read. Lost my cravings by day 2. Total cholesterol went from 190 to 148 in 4 weeks. Exercises are doable, even for an arthritic 60 year old!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life!, March 26, 2008
Following this plan has caused me to loose two dress sizes in six weeks! I also lost all cravings for sugar goodies. This book is simple but powerful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend! A Life Changer, June 1, 2008
I HIGHLY recommend this book! It was a life changer for me. Thanks to the food plan, I no longer suffer from extreme carb cravings, brain fog, or being extremely cold all the time. Those symptoms are gone! It also is great for my IBS. Not to mention, the amount of energy I have is through the roof. Hallelujah!!!! Notice I said food plan? Dr. Lydon walks you through a diet where you eliminate certain foods at the beginning and slowly add food groups back in over a period of 6 weeks checking for adverse reactions to foods along the way. Each phase is nutritionally complete. I already knew I was allergic to gluten, but also found I'm reactive to soy and cow milk. Now I'm eating foods that benefit my body rather than causing low levels of inflammation. The crazy thing is I don't crave the foods I've eliminated. I can now walk into the kitchen anticipating a delicious meal where I'll feel satisfied rather than dreading I'll blow my diet by eating too much or munching on sweets.
The exercise routine hits all body parts and my muscles have developed faster on this program than any other I've tried plus it very fast and great for people who have little time. Dr. Lydon clearly explains why long term cardio workouts and carb/calorie restrictions (i.e. carb deficit) do not work and can actually set your body up to become fatter. She explains the myths surrounding calorie burning (how our bodies handle protein, fat, carbs differently and how it adjusts to exercise) and why your body can handle 1 cup of nuts per day and still loose inches. She bases everything on scientific studies, which are quoted so you can read them for yourself. I greatly appreciated her friendly writing style and felt her explanations were clear and concise for the average lay person. The appendices in the book summarize the exercise/food/supplements for each week. The food selection is huge plus it is so simple to do. You do not have to measure, count calories, points, etc. It is very liberating!
Dr. Lydon also started a forum (same name as the book), so people can ask questions and share results/experiences or any problems their encountering. There is also a recipe section and many members of the forum are food geniuses!
Oh, and best of all? You will loose inches and reshape your body. I certainly did! For motivation, just read the success stories on her website. Good luck to you!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am ten years thinner!! Thank You!, February 4, 2008
Meghan Menzel (Pemberton, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
I have to thank Ten Years Thinner for making look and feel ten years thinner!!! feel great! What a wonderful program easy to work into my everyday life and the results couldn't have been better, after one week on the program my husband was commenting on my muscles!!! After 6 weeks EVERYONE was commenting on my new body!!

Thank you for a plan that REALLY works!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier Than It Sounds!, May 14, 2008
I agree with the reviewers who say that this is a fantastic program. However, I'd like to point out that the time for meal preparation on this plan isn't any different than "normal" meal preparation unless you get every one of your meals through a drive through (and even then, you need to consider the time it takes to get there and sit in line). I've actually found bringing meals to work takes no more time than before I started the plan. Before starting this plan--breakfast bar, soup/microwave entrée, munchies. On the plan--boiled eggs, fruit, veggies, can of tuna/left-over chicken breast, salad dressing. It takes the same amount of time to shop, prep, stuff it in a bag, and get out the door. I boil eggs in a big batch, peel them, and grab them as needed for breakfasts and salads. I cook extra protein at dinner and bring it for lunch. I've also noticed many stores in my area sell boiled, peeled eggs and cooked, sliced chicken breasts. How convenient is that? How hard is it to swap a candy bar for an apple?

The first week of the exercise routine was difficult. Someone who is out of shape will not find this "easy," but the exercises are do-able, and being able to go from 1 push-up to 10, even though it doesn't seem like much to "fit" folks, is motivating. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? :)

If you're looking for a "quick fix," this isn't for you. If you are looking for a plan that will change your life and your relationship with food, get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a book!, March 27, 2008
Wilder Regalbuto (Palm Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I hav been dieting ALL my life. nothing has been as wonderful as this book!! love it so much i bought a copy for my sister in law. We are all thrilled! And the fourm, what could b better than having a doctor answering your questions. Best lifestyle book ive ever read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Ten Years Thinner: 6 Weeks to a Leaner, Younger-Looking You
Ten Years Thinner: 6 Weeks to a Leaner, Younger-Looking You by Christine Lydon (Paperback - January 6, 2009)
Used & New from: $2.41